What to do with it?

Rocketdog2112

So say if a guy has 1500ml of liquid mercury stored away and no useful purpose for it, what can he do with it?

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Be careful with it and don't let it seep out of the container. Realistically the best thing to do with it is to take it to a hazardous waste disposal site and hand it off to a worker there, mercury is quite toxic.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

If it's stored properly it makes a cool shelf ornament I think or fun to let responsible people carefully lift to experience how deceptively heavy it is. Otherwise bring it to your local hazardous waste disposal.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Place it into a thin glass container.  Draw a vacuum, then seal the container.  Then place the container in media with known temperatures and mark the level of the mercury after several hours to ensure the mercury has matched temperature with your known medium.  Do this again with media of a different temperature. 

Do this with as many different known media as you can get your hands on.  Once you've exhausted this option, graph all of your data points and extrapolate a trend line to fill in the blanks on the container.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Liquid metal your laptop, or drink it.

obviously a joke, take it to local hazardous waste disposal dropoffs, they will deal with it

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

23 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Be careful with it and don't let it seep out of the container. Realistically the best thing to do with it is to take it to a hazardous waste disposal site and hand it off to a worker there, mercury is quite toxic.

23 hours ago, tikker said:

If it's stored properly it makes a cool shelf ornament I think or fun to let responsible people carefully lift to experience how deceptively heavy it is. Otherwise bring it to your local hazardous waste disposal.

Yes, I am very aware of it's toxicity and dangers. It is stored in three 500ml heavy plastic chemical bottles with full seal lids in a sealed five gallon bucket away from anyone. I rarely let anyone handle it, but when they do, they are amazed by its' weight. Then it's off to wash their hands. I have seen small quantities go for some amazing sums of money. But homegrown terrorist crap stops me from selling it on the open market.

Make mercury filled carb stixs and sell them on motorcycle forums for huge money. Seriously. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

14 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Make mercury filled carb stixs and sell them on motorcycle forums for huge money. Seriously. 

That's what i use for one of my bikes that still uses carburetors. It's an older set whereas the newer ones are filled with colored water to satisfy the save the planet activist. Appreciate the suggestion...

Down the drain if you don´t need it. I would not pay the dispostal cost. Not your problem

7 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Down the drain if you don´t need it. I would not pay the dispostal cost. Not your problem

Yeah... ah no.

7 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Charging to dispose of hazardous material is the best way to have people like you dump it down the drain instead. 

As such, it's usually free.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

snacc

or call poison control. They'll give you more information.

8 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Usually hazardous disposal sites don’t charge to dispose of stuff like this. The reason? Because apparently some people would rather dump toxic mercury down their toilet than pay a small fee.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1