When buying new rig parts, do you wait til you have them all? Or slowly upgrade over time?

SadPotato5641

For example, I am most likely going to get an RTX 3080, but when I end up purchasing it, I will not be putting it in my system immediately. My old i5 6600k is limping along at this point, and I want to wait until the Ryzen 4000 series comes out (hopefully soon!)  to see that performance bump.

I was just wondering if anybody else does this kind of practice, and if so, what was your reason for the wait?

Personally I get a OP GPU then upgrade my CPU later when I have the cash. this year I did it backwards but I have cash for the new GPU too so im just lucky this year I get both and don't have to pick. but usually 1 part at a time. Unless I need like a new mobo for a new CPU, or like a new PSU for a GPU, then ill buy the two items together so I can be up and running. 

for stuff that you can just plug in you might as well do so immediately, otherwise why did you buy it at that time lol. when i was starting my current build i tested and used the plug-n-play parts upon receipt in my old system (gpu, ram, ssd), and got down to putting it all together once the cpu and mobo arrived. built without the new psu cause i was getting another seasonic so it was a simple swap once it arrived.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

for stuff that you can just plug in you might as well do so immediately, otherwise why did you buy it at that time lol. when i was starting my current build i tested and used the plug-n-play parts upon receipt in my old system (gpu, ram, ssd), and got down to putting it all together once the cpu and mobo arrived. built without the new psu cause i was getting another seasonic so it was a simple swap once it arrived.

Thats a good point, although I wonder how my CX600M PSU would fair with the 3080? 🤔 It might work fine as a temporary solution, kinda similar to what you did.

1 minute ago, SadPotato5641 said:

Thats a good point, although I wonder how my CX600M PSU would fair with the 3080? 🤔 It might work fine as a temporary solution, kinda similar to what you did.

with a 6600k? id assume youll be fine as long as its drawing under a hundred watts. with the cx i dunno if its a good power supply to be handling those loads but youll have to determine that yourself. i felt comfortable running a 9700k and a 1080ti oced on a 550w cause it was a seasonic prime ultra, wouldnt do that myself with a cx but it may well be fine doing that

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

with a 6600k? id assume youll be fine as long as its drawing under a hundred watts. with the cx i dunno if its a good power supply to be handling those loads but youll have to determine that yourself. i felt comfortable running a 9700k and a 1080ti oced on a 550w cause it was a seasonic prime ultra, wouldnt do that myself with a cx but it may well be fine doing that

I do have that 6600k Oc'd to 4.3Ghz from its 3.5, so I would worry about my 6 year old CX running a 3080. Maybe do some bizarre dual PSU setup?

I like to treat my parts with respect, but sometimes you gotta get a little crazy...

when i got my new GPU, first instinct was to plug it into my core 2 quad system to see how bad would the C2Q limit it

anyone else? the test and experiment instinct

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

when i got my new GPU, first instinct was to plug it into my core 2 quad system to see how bad would the C2Q limit it

anyone else? the test and experiment instinct

Never done a bottleneck quite that rough! What ended up happening? How bad was it?

Just now, SadPotato5641 said:

Never done a bottleneck quite that rough! What ended up happening? How bad was it?

TimeSpy

FireStrike

ROTR Very High

ROTR Lowest

hmm... basically "in TimeSpy's GPU benchmark, you still get CPU limited situation" bad

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Unless one of the components of the PC has a huge discount, I usually buy them all at once when I have enough saved up.

This allows for new product launches, I could begin a build at the end of september with everything I'd like right now minus the gpu, but if I wait the extra month, the new Ryzen cpus may launch (If not, and it's clearly not coming any time soon, thats when i'd be building)

Pizza is the best food group

My old PC broke but I saved up for 9 months to buy the rig I wanted as I wasn’t going to get it on credit or a loan.

i bought all the bits in one go, I had it built in about 5 hours after opening the first box.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

It's like car guys with their project cars, it's never complete. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Depends if its time for a full refresh or not. If I want a new MB, CPU & RAM, they will normally be upgraded together, I'll sometime do the GPU at the same time if that is due anything new, sometimes not. Usually carry over storage & PSU unless there is something wrong with them. Mainly just depends on what needs upgrading though to be honest, and if I can be bothered upgrading everything or not.

Depends. I purchased this build as 2 packs from two stores. After that I've done one bigger refresh, but otherwise its been just 1-3 parts at once.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv