Decent graphics card for under $120

Hey guys, so a friend of mine is window shopping for a graphics card that he might want to buy in future under R2000 (120 USD). What decent budget graphics card can you buy with that budget?

What we've found so far:

https://www.takealot.com/gigabyte-gt-710-2gb-graphics-card/PLID64859838

https://www.takealot.com/nvidia-geforce-graphic-card-gt-730-2gb-64bit/PLID70478857

https://www.takealot.com/gigabyte-geforce-gt-1030-low-profile-2gb/PLID60868806

Thanks in advance for the help!

6 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

What decent budget graphics card can you buy with that budget?

None. Used cards is the only logical choice.

Buying something new thats so weak is a waste of your money. I'd recommend to look for used stuff thats cheaper and probably more powerful. Im not sure how the prices are in your country but for that kind of money I could easily get a rx 580, or save a lot of money by scoring something like a 1050 ti.

Main system: Ryzen 3700x - 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz - RX 5600 XT - 500GB NVMe - 480GB SATA SSD - Gigabyte B450 I aorus pro wifi - Noctua NH-U9S - NZXT H200i - (MacOS, Windows, Pop! OS)

Laptop: Surface laptop 3 - i5-1035G7 - 8GB DDR4 - 256GB NVMe

Server(/NAS): Ryzen 2200G - 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz - 3x 2TB WD RED - 250GB SATA SSD - (Unraid)

Phone: Oneplus 7 Pro

Audio: Sony WH1000XM3 - Logitech Z906

19 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

Hey guys, so a friend of mine is window shopping for a graphics card that he might want to buy in future under R2000 (120 USD). What decent budget graphics card can you buy with that budget?

What we've found so far:

https://www.takealot.com/nvidia-geforce-graphic-card-gt-730-2gb-64bit/PLID70478857

Definitely consider the used market the GT 710, GT 730 and GT 1030 are horrible cards. If you can get an RX 580 or a 1050 Ti that would be great but if you can scrounge up some more cash you can get a 980 Ti since they go for about 180-200 bucks used, but you can obviously bargain and haggle to get a lower price

3 minutes ago, Thom_0203 said:

Buying something new thats so weak is a waste of your money. I'd recommend to look for used stuff thats cheaper and probably more powerful. Im not sure how the prices are in your country but for that kind of money I could easily get a rx 580, or save a lot of money by scoring something like a 1050 ti.

Nope, you can only get anything that's old or beginner for lower than R2000 here(it costs about R3000+ here to get anything like a 1050,etc which is about 180 USD if bought brand new). Tbh anything tech here is excruciatingly expensive..that's Africa for you...

But thx anyway for the suggestion.

Dear salvatore /s I would get used cards at that range

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, PrimeMinister said:

Nope, you can only get anything that's old or beginner for lower than R2000 here(it costs about R3000+ here to get anything like a 1050,etc which is about 180 USD if bought brand new). Tbh anything tech here is excruciatingly expensive..that's Africa for you...

But thx anyway for the suggestion.

Then use an apu.

Just now, Kanna said:

Dear salvatore /s I would get used cards at that range

1 minute ago, Som3a said:

Definitely consider the used market the GT 710, GT 730 and GT 1030 are horrible cards. If you can get an RX 580 or a 1050 Ti that would be great but if you can scrounge up some more cash you can get a 980 Ti since they go for about 180-200 bucks used, but you can obviously bargain and haggle to get a lower price

14 minutes ago, nox_ said:

None. Used cards is the only logical choice.

Ok, I'll try to convince my friend to buy used and I have to ask him for his specs first, but thx for the advice guys!

23 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

What we've found so far:

I would say get a used RX 480/GTX 960, that would be much better

QUOTE ME SO I CAN REPLY OR TYPE @ItsMeRachata before every quote.

AMD Motherboard Tier List v2    Power Supply Tier List 

It's a good entry level card, very comparable to a 1050 but since AMD and nvidia cards are very different on many accounts they trade blows.

28 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

Ok, I'll try to convince my friend to buy used and I have to ask him for his specs first, but thx for the advice guys!

Might be able to get a 570 or 970 or something like that used. Part of the problem is AMD never came out with a competitive card at the very low end and the result is new very low end cards are overpriced. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

Ok so I got my friend's specs:

i5-2300 @ 2.80 GHz

8GB DDR3

465GB HDD

450W PSU

Would this card work for this build or would it bottleneck it?

Card in question:

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/482529502/MSI_RX_550_2G_GDDR5.html

Link horked for me but that’s some low end PC.  I wouldn’t worry about “decent” so much.  4 threads of under 3 ghz with not great ips isn’t going to do a lot.  There are phones with more cpu power than this.  I doubt it will play much in the way of games.  Anything that will push video to his monitor is probably fine. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

In the US you can sometimes find used rx 580s on ebay for around the $120 mark, but I don't know about South Africa

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Just now, TrainFan2020 said:

In the US you can sometimes find used rx 580s on ebay for around the $120 mark, but I don't know about South Africa

South Africa... hmm the UFDtech people used to be based there.  Might be an opinion available there about local availability.  I think a 580 may actually be more gpu than that cpu can handle. I’ve got a 4/8 of newer vintage and it can bury a 580 running at 4.0ghz but it has to work pretty hard to do it.  This doesn’t hurt anything. A 580 would still function.  It would also be nice and quiet.  570, or 560 are probably near enough to its upper limit. 

1 hour ago, TrainFan2020 said:

The problem is buying overseas is usually cheaper than buying in SA but you end up paying more than it would cost here thanks to import costs.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Link horked for me but that’s some low end PC.  I wouldn’t worry about “decent” so much.  4 threads of under 3 ghz with not great ips isn’t going to do a lot.  There are phones with more cpu power than this.  I doubt it will play much in the way of games.  Anything that will push video to his monitor is probably fine. 

Well, the PC ain't half bad with games and we bought those PC's at our school for cheap. (I'm converting mine to an office pc for my mom) P.S the link was for a RX 550

4 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

Well, the PC ain't half bad with games and we bought those PC's at our school for cheap. (I'm converting mine to an office pc for my mom) P.S the link was for a RX 550

rx 550 is not bad for that pc. what about gtx 950,960,1050,1050ti?

rx 550 is pretty much gtx 1050.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

5 minutes ago, PrimeMinister said:

Older games it will do fine for.  Might have a bit of a problem with something like RDR2. 550 would be a tad light but it’s reasonably close. 560 or 570 (so also gtx960 or 970) are more in line for burying both cpu and gpu. 

Let's just be honest here guys buying Kepler new nowadays is like buying a Hard Drive as a Boot Drive. 

So over my dead body would I do that

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed

3 hours ago, agent2 said:

Let's just be honest here guys buying Kepler new nowadays is like buying a Hard Drive as a Boot Drive. 

So over my dead body would I do that

Goes to definition of decent.  “Decent gpu for $120” can be taken a couple ways.  Part of the issue is the rest of the computer isn’t that great either, so putting something faster on it is kind of a waste anyway.