Can You Tell the Difference? (SPONSORED)

JonoT

Thanks to LG for sponsoring today's video! Check out the LG Velvet at https://lmg.gg/5XiPq

We’re always hearing about the latest and greatest flagship mobile processors, but do they really make a difference in the day to day usage of your device? Today with the help of the new LG Velvet smartphone, we find out.

yes

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Yes, I can probably circle all the differences.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I haven't seen a sponsored video that makes me want to buy the phone in it even less. LG spent waaay to much on how it looks and not enough on specs. Curved glass is something someone with big fake nails that single finger types would find fancy. For me it just means less grip on the sides of the phone and that is compounded by the fact that if it drops that side glass is even more prone to breaking into a million pieces.

As for the SoC, i don't really see it as an advantage. I'd rather just omit the 5Gpart, at least for now, and have better performance for a high refresh rate screen. For the CPU benches i'm disappointed, the performance is about half of that of the s20, at half the price? Performance usually works in diminishing returns not linearly, I guess it would have worked if the rest of the phone wasn't so expensive. Maybe if it was a $300 plasticky phone it would have made sense.

Funny that Linus would excuse the lack of HRR screen with the fact that the GPU is too weak LOL. I'm disappointed in Linus/Jake for writing that into the script.  And then they say that it runs PUBG fine on high settings without some sort of benchmark to see what that actually means? In the meaningless number GPU benches they did show the LG was slower than the Note9 by 33% and then they omit the numbers of the S20 for comparison ( which scores 7157) which is LESS than half the performance for half the price. Oof 🤔.

The smartphone market has become less and less interesting, And the 765G is not something i'd buy in a smartphone of this price.

EDIT: Ah yeah, forgot to mention the display. Another trend i'd like gone is the insanely high resolutions that these phones keep having. Who the heck needs QHD+ resolutions at this this size. You can't convince me that you need more than 1080p. I'm also torn on the front camera. I'd rather have this than the absolutely stupid hole punch in the Pixel 4a, but i'd rather have none at all, but that's just me. 16:9 aspect ratio and a top bezel that would fit all the necessary sensors camera and earpiece, a bottom bezel with clicky home button would be my preference. But i don't see smartphone manufacturers coming back to this because they gotta have whole phone displays with dumb aspect ratios. 18:9 and 19:9 and 20:9 just give me a break. You'll have black bars on youtube videos and you'll have black bars on cinema content. 

I guess that's why i'm a PC gamer, so that i can spec my PC just how i like. Too bad modular phones are a ghost of kickstarter past in 2020 and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Si3Rra_7 said:

For me it just means less grip on the sides of the phone

Yeah, agreed. I have a OnePlus 8 Pro with those stupid, curves sides and that's why I use the stupid-ugly silicone case the phone came with, just so I have a good grip on the phone. Such a stupid trend!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

As per typical "big nammed" phone makers, over priced cheap stuff. What I mean is according to Bell (first result as LGs website is broken in where to buy) they want $750 for it meaning you can prob buy it for about 700 elsewhere.

My Note 8 Pro from Xiaomi is slightly slower than the Velvet for half the price.

Screenshot_2020-08-26-06-54-36-076_com.primatelabs.geekbench5.thumb.jpg.76a0eb56e96822263d2aaff3b77b0d50.jpgScreenshot_2020-08-26-07-19-49-378_com.futuremark.dmandroid.application.thumb.jpg.307971a7c49c5ad513fc2a82f62b8f34.jpg

Biggest difference between them? The SoC, OLED, and Price. The frequency difference can be the reason for the lower performance.
Minor differences between them? Fingerprint on the back (it's actually safer since thieves won't know which finger to lop off), and wireless charging with slightly slower wired charging. Beyond those details they are basically identical phones, just ones half the price, for me anyways at the time of buying.

I love LG products, always will but their phone sector for anything under flagship is basically worst than Sammy, it is why I got my Mi A2 instead of the Stylo 4, and why I went back to Xiaomi after a design flaw making my A2 unsafe for outside use (too thin, common issue among all phones esp with the weight and pressure induced on to it, screen didn't break and still fully works less network). 

So less the SoC and OLED how much of the price is going into LGs name? Also every LG phone I've used turned into a slow pumkin after 1-1.5 years of use (abuse) where as so far my A2 still can be abused, albeit not outside.

Edit: I'll go back to LG when they produce another Stylo 2 Plus phone, budget with good enough specs to justify buying it.

LG: You don't need snap 865 plus we can lower the price.

Poco F2 pro: You need snap 865 and a better camera. Oh the price is lower of course.

Btw im in Italy, the price of Poco F2 pro 5g 8+256 Is 418€.
The price of Velvet 5g 6+128 Is 520€.
Snap 865, better camera, double storage and more ram for 100€ cheaper.
Imagine sponsor a video to prove that you are ridiculous.

One more thing: download citra 3ds emulator from play store and play something with snap 865 to prove that LG is wrong and you actually feel the difference.

Did I notice a difference? 

Yep, it's not a Sony... 

😆

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

When the Microsoft Duo comes out:
"OH MY GOD IT HAS TWO SCREENS"

When the Velvet and G8 do the same with smaller bezels in an optional case:

"Booooooring."

Slightly weird and short video, did LG not allow to say much this time? Complete 180 from the Gram review. No real mention of the dual screen case even though it was shown in the thumbnail, not even a B-roll, the case itself could be worth an entire 10+ minute video. But instead it goes on a rant to for some reason upsell the not-top-of-the-line CPU. Maybe it's just me, but do people really care about the little numbers in their phone? We as enthusiasts might do, but I really doubt anyone who is the target audience for this phone does. Man, LG's marketing department really needs to sort their crap out.

Let's be honest, nobody buys, or should buy an LG phone for the MSRP, and seeing that their appreciation is basically the same as a luxury car's, it's a no-brainer for budget oriented people to just wait a few months to get one for literally half the price. Source: Got myself a G8x (with the dual screen case) for 400 Euros in early July.