Memtest86 found too many errors to finish the test

Hello everyone

So too many BSODs lately led me to hunt down to problem. I get a BSOD like once or twice a month. It's always something different but now I'm starting to think it's related to my RAM.

After troubleshooting here and other hardware forums, I ended up running Memtest86 and it aborted the test after a few minutes due to too many errors (10k+).

My rig:

Ryzen 5 3600

ASUS TUF B450M Plus Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16

EVGA RTX 2070 Super

Antec EA750G Pro 750W Gold

Win 10 Pro 2004

All of the hardware is about 10 months old.

I don't OC anything (Just enabled RAM DOCP to enable 3200Mhz)

I installed my RAM correctly, I think (slot 2 and 4? The first one being the second slot from the CPU, then the second stick in the fourth slot)

All of my drivers are updated, incluiding chipset, BIOS, etc.

I was considering buying new RAM but not sure I wanna drop another 100-150$. I don't want to go with the same RAM I already have although it's priced comfortably (80$ I believe). Any suggestions for a new RAM? Or before that, anything else I can do?

First of all you should run the test with each stick individually to see if only one is defective. Other than that most RAM sold to consumers is about equally reliable, it's more about out of the box performance and price (and looks) than anything else. Your kit breaking so soon was probably just bad luck.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I remember Corsair has a long warranty for its RAM. You should contact Corsair.

try with one stick at a time.

clear the cmos. and then you could try  setting the soc to 1.1 and dram to 1.35 and then go for 3000/2933 and check.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Try disabling DOCP entirely to run at JEDEC speed. If it cleans up, there's things we can help you do to stabilize the ram at 3200.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

The memory is faulty, unless it's the memory controller on your 3600 that's borked, though the former is more likely to be the case I'd say.

RMA the memory kit, or try and run it at a lower speed/looser timings and/or bump the voltage. It's not ideal but at least it'll probably work, though I wouldn't bet on not having more problems come up in the future.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Deli said:

I remember Corsair has a long warranty for its RAM. You should contact Corsair.

Bought it off Amazon but I'll check it out, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

First of all you should run the test with each stick individually to see if only one is defective. Other than that most RAM sold to consumers is about equally reliable, it's more about out of the box performance and price (and looks) than anything else. Your kit breaking so soon was probably just bad luck.

Didn't think about that, thanks, I will.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Test the ram sticks again at 3000 mhz or 2933 mhz. If you don't get errors anymore, you can try 3200 mhz again but increase timings to cl18 or cl19

Thanks, how much of a performance hit would it be to use cl19? If at all...

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The memory is faulty, unless it's the memory controller on your 3600 that's borked, though the former is more likely to be the case I'd say.

RMA the memory kit, or try and run it at a lower speed/looser timings and/or bump the voltage. It's not ideal but at least it'll probably work, though I wouldn't bet on not having more problems come up in the future.

Yeah, I'd like to eliminate BSODs in the future and was thinking about just buying new ones instead of trying to find the perfect voltage to speed ratio or whatever.

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Try disabling DOCP entirely to run at JEDEC speed. If it cleans up, there's things we can help you do to stabilize the ram at 3200.

I will check it out, thanks

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

try with one stick at a time.

clear the cmos. and then you could try  setting the soc to 1.1 and dram to 1.35 and then go for 3000/2933 and check.

dram is already at 1.35. Not sure about soc, I'll check it out.

Have you tried re-seating the RAM?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case