VRMs overheating?

So, I've a Gigabyte Aorus M paired with Ryzen 3 2200G. Recently bought a new cooler (Deepcool gammax GTE V2) which decreased the temps and gave me headroom for OC. Overclocked the CPU to 4.0GHz at 1.39V, then went to overclock the iGPU. While stress tesing the system, got a windows blue screen. Restarted automatically, again crashed with an windows error. After long trouble shooting, I found that it wasn't a windows error, but overheating issue.

I checked HWinfo and found VSOC MOs at 110C when both CPU and iGPU are pushed. And when it hits 120C, system crashes. It there any way I can resolve this? I want to overclock my system with the new cooler :(

Get a fan to blow air onto those SoC VRMs (the ones that are on the top part of the board, not the ones on the left hand side, next to the rear IO).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 hours ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

And when it hits 120C, system crashes.

120c will likely result in your board either crashing or throttling the cpu.

get a fan and direct it at the soc vrm.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

An extra Fan blow right ontop the VRM´s should help quite a bit to get the temps down.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

18 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

So, I've a Gigabyte Aorus M paired with Ryzen 3 2200G. Recently bought a new cooler (Deepcool gammax GTE V2) which decreased the temps and gave me headroom for OC. Overclocked the CPU to 4.0GHz at 1.39V, then went to overclock the iGPU. While stress tesing the system, got a windows blue screen. Restarted automatically, again crashed with an windows error. After long trouble shooting, I found that it wasn't a windows error, but overheating issue.

I checked HWinfo and found VSOC MOs at 110C when both CPU and iGPU are pushed. And when it hits 120C, system crashes. It there any way I can resolve this? I want to overclock my system with the new cooler :(

I also have the same problem, when i overclocked the igpu the vrm temps goin crazy it reach 110c. You can put more fan directly into the vrm to help it cool them down.

You'll want to help the mosfets that convert 12v to the voltages used by the integrated graphics card to cool down. 

Just by placing a fan to blow over the motherboard area, it will help, but you can help transfer the heat from the tiny surface of the chips into the cold air pushed by fans by placing heatsinks on those chips. 

You'll want to buy ram heatsinks or vga heatsinks (tiny squares or rectangles with needle like pins or ridges) with thermal adhesive tape ... they're super simple to use, just remove the plastic foil from the adhesive tape and press the heatsinks on the chips for around 10 seconds.  Maybe clean the surface of the chips first with a bit of sanitary alcohol or isopropyl alcohol and dry it out before applying heatsinks, this way the adhesive will make better contact. 

You want to cover the chips in yellow rectangles. The chip in orange square is the controller which controls all chips, the main vrm under the big metal heatsink and the secondary vrm which powers the integrated graphics, which has no heatsinks by default.  It doesn't really need heatsink, but if you buy a pack of heatsinks and you have one extra, why not stick it over that chip as well.

One heatsink can cover more than one chip, you don't have to buy super small square heatsinks. 

Try to get some heatsinks with at least a few mm tall fins, try to avoid heatsinks  that are more or less looking like a coin thick piece of metal.

Example of heatsinks I'd use : 

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Heatsink-14x14x7mm-Conductive-14mmx14mmx7mm/dp/B079FP1FWR/ - about the right height and size, and cheap 

https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-Graphics-Passive-Copper-8-Pack/dp/B002BWXW6E/ - a bit overkill 

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Heatsink-conductive-Regulators-8-8mmx8-8mmx5mm/dp/B079FQ22LK/ - multiple choice, the ones under 14 x 14 would probably work great

with the heatsinks on the chips, they'll still produce heat, but the temperature rise will be slower and with the help of a fan blowing air over those fins, the temperature will be decreased. more surface area (by having more pins or ridges/fins, the easier the heat can get off the piece of aluminum or copper and be ejected outside the case)

image.png.8708a6df7bae11b8fd645ce0eb4f4b4e.png

@Hold-Ma-Beer

☝ Yeah, what they said....or you could exchange that motherboard for one with decent vrms and call it a day. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

IMG_20200813_163148.thumb.jpg.fa8c9de9d46d872b6bacc1eca7e6536f.jpg

1 hour ago, MESSERR said:

I also have the same problem, when i overclocked the igpu the vrm temps goin crazy it reach 110c. You can put more fan directly into the vrm to help it cool them down.

There fans can't blow air through them because they are too high in my case.. See:

2 hours ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

IMG_20200813_163148.thumb.jpg.fa8c9de9d46d872b6bacc1eca7e6536f.jpg

There fans can't blow air through them because they are too high in my case.. See:

You're just lazy or you lack imagination.

First get those heatsinks I linked to, pick ones high enough but low enough to not block your cpu heatsink.

Those heatsinks alone should reduce the peak temperatures by at least 10-15 degrees celsius.

If you get those VRMs to stay at or below 110c, they'll work fine. Those mosfets are rated for 125c or 150c but long term you don't want the motherboard to run at more than 100-105c because the actual fiberglass - the printed circuit board - will start to go bad (the glue holding the fibers reacts with heat over long time and becomes conductive which can cause connections between traces inside the circuit board)

Next, you can place a fan at a slight angle,  between the cpu fan and the 24pin atx cable... the fan will blow air down towards the motherboard.

An alternative, which costs a bit of money, is to add a squirrel cage type fan, like the ones in laptops

See this list : https://www.digikey.com/short/zr3vf8

a couple examples:

CBM-6015V-150 CUI Devices | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

MFG_CBM-6015V-150.jpg

BG0702-B045-00L-00 NMB Technologies Corporation | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

BG0702-B04-500-L00.jpg

you can attach such fans by the top panel of the case , the fans take air from outside and push it into that region of the motherboard.

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

You're just lazy or you lack imagination.

Trust me I'm neither of those. 

There is literally very little space. I can put se heatsink there, but cooling them is difficult..

That aside, can I put a long strip of thermally conductive tape over a series of vrms? 

6 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Trust me I'm neither of those. 

There is literally very little space. I can put se heatsink there, but cooling them is difficult..

That aside, can I put a long strip of thermally conductive tape over a series of vrms? 

Dude, if you gotta jump through all these hoops to lower the temps, then you might as well just replace that motherboard with a better one, its what I would do. I ain't got time for all that foolishness. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

58 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Dude, if you gotta jump through all these hoops to lower the temps, then you might as well just replace that motherboard with a better one, its what I would do. I ain't got time for all that foolishness. 

I don't want to spend that amount on money. Afterall it should be okay after I buy a dedicated GPU right? I am saving for that.

Also, this was my first build, so I guess I got to learn something (。•̀ᴗ-)✧

19 hours ago, mariushm said:

An alternative, which costs a bit of money, is to add a squirrel cage type fan, like the ones in laptops

I tested quite a few times with different overclocks and found when I really push the iGPU at 1650MHz, the temps ramped up quite fast to 110C. To control that level of heat, won't that laptop kind of ramp make some real nasty noise?

I want to implement your idea of heatsinks, but I was wondering will this will be a permanent issue? I mean once I switch to dedicated GPU and overclock try to overclock it, these VSOC MOS wont heat up, will they?

The silver square bits to the left of those mosfets i highlighted with yellow are called inductors - they're basically coils of insulated wire around a ferrite core (with magnetic properties) and everything is inside those cubes of plastic / epoxy to minimize vibrations and coil whine (from the wire rubbing against the ferrite core due to magnetic fields expanding and shrinking).

Those inductors will be warm, as they'll absorb some heat from the circuit board, being so close to the mosfets, but they shouldn't require additional cooling (and would be difficult to apply heatsinks to them anyway, due to that stylized P on top of them)

The case should be some non conductive material (plastic) so if the heatsinks stuck to the mosfets touch them, it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, if you won't use the integrated graphics, the mosfets won't heat as much because they'll work in a region where they're more efficient. Basically, they're inefficient at low loads (but at that point heat generated is very little so you don't care) and they're inefficient at high loads (where they produce too much heat)

@mariushm Thank you man for explaining in detail. I am not planning to stick the heatsink on them, but what I'm thinking is to apply the conductive tape on them too so that the heatsink is glued to the VRM on the bottom and the to the side (is this okay?)..

I'm trying this because of this VRM, whose heatsink might fall off (the green circled one)image.png.8708a6df7bae11b8fd645ce0eb4f4b4e.png.e5f6626fc4e82777eeea21133a6edbaa.png

You can try, but you'd need to figure out a way to have some pressure on the heatsink ... the thermal pad on the m.2 heatsink is not adhesive, so the heatsink will not stick to those mosfets. There needs to be some pressure, so that heat from the chips will transfer into the m.2 heatsink through the thermal pad on the bottom.

The heatsink will be worse than separate individual chips with lots of fins/ridges/etc as those would have more surface area.

It's better than nothing i suppose.

39 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The heatsink will be worse than separate individual chips with lots of fins/ridges/etc as those would have more surface area

Ok, then I'll try finding some.

Can you also recommend some? From Amazon.in (I live in India)

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Well, ideally you'd go for bigger ones or for copper ones instead of aluminum, because copper is a bit better, but if that's all you can easily get then sure, anything would be better than no heatsinks.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, mariushm said:

Well, ideally you'd go for bigger ones or for copper ones instead of aluminum, because copper is a bit better, but if that's all you can easily get then sure, anything would be better than no heatsinks.

Yea, these are the only decent ones I could find. The copper heatsinks available are in form of slabs..

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, kinda free from entrance exams for a bit..

So these are the things I'm gonna order:

584368274_Tapepic.thumb.jpg.4cb18d7028cb23d0394c3031d088df65.jpg469744918_Heatsinkpic.thumb.jpg.6df22307abbca0432d376a43fab05934.jpg

I dont have much to spend, so I'll try to use the corsair case fan for cooling these VRMs if needed.