Is the EVGA 400w bad? from a past LTT video

Newblesse Obblige
19 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

do you recommend this PSU?

Absolutely not. It's junk and no self respecting brand should be selling it in 2020. Buy something else. Sorting by price lowest items first is not a good way to pick a power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Looks like this is the review from Jonny Guru

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/07/13/evga-400-n1-power-supply/6/

Honestly, given that the rest of your expensive components hook up to this, and assuming you're not made of money, buy a better PSU.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

2 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

PSU prices suck right now. Nothing decent for less than $50 anywhere. This is the best for low budget at the moment in the US:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NWZQX1J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mPklFbX2ZTYMN

Since when is a decent PSU under $50... ever?

And Apevia?  Really?  What do we know about that unit? Or are you just going by the fact that it's "gold"?

34 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Since when is a decent PSU under $50... ever?

And Apevia?  Really?  What do we know about that unit? Or are you just going by the fact that it's "gold"?

Could have sworn that you previously said that this was a decent andyson unit.

Right now prices are terrible. But decent PSUs were able to be had for under $50 all the time until about a year ago. I've purchased a TX-550 for $50 after rebate . A vengeance  for $40 after rebate and multiple cx 550s for $30 and under. And once a cx450 for $15 after rebate.

E0AcWy.gif

8 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Could have sworn that you previously said that this was a decent andyson unit.

Right now prices are terrible. But decent PSUs were able to be had for under $50 all the time until about a year ago. I've purchased a TX-550 for $50 after rebate . A vengeance  for $40 after rebate and multiple cx 550s for $30 and under. And once a cx450 for $15 after rebate.

E0AcWy.gif

"After rebate" is not a street price.  Big difference.

And we know that the Apevia is an Andyson with DC to DC, which makes it better than 99% of the other Apevia PSUs out there, but we've yet to see a proper tear down.  The fan is questionable too.

Though, let's be perfectly honest, in any universe that Apevia is still 10x better than the EVGA the OP linked to.  So there's that.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

"After rebate" is not a street price.  Big difference.

And we know that the Apevia is an Andyson with DC to DC, which makes it better than 99% of the other Apevia PSUs out there, but we've yet to see a proper tear down.

OP is looking at an evga n1 for $40. As much as we would like him to get a cx550 or something of equal quality, I doubt that's going to happen. They are about $80 now IF you can find one in stock.

He's building a super budget system with used parts. I think the Apevia is a good upgrade from the N1 for about $10 more. You wouldn't put the Apevia in a $300 budget rig?

6 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

OP is looking at an evga n1 for $40. As much as we would like him to get a cx550 or something of equal quality, I doubt that's going to happen. They are about $80 now IF you can find one in stock.

He's building a super budget system with used parts. I think the Apevia is a good upgrade from the N1 for about $10 more. You wouldn't put the Apevia in a $300 budget rig?

Right.  Compared to the dumpster fire EVGA, the Apevia is MILES better.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Right.  Compared to the dumpster fire EVGA, the Apevia is MILES better.

PSU availability and pricing is bad in my country nowadays. They say I should get a Tier B PSU and above if I am going base on the LTT PSU tier list. Corsair CVs, a overpriced Corsair CXs and CXMs, and other Tier B PSUs are out of stock rn. so i should wait for or or maybe get a Bequiet U9.

26 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

PSU availability and pricing is bad in my country nowadays. They say I should get a Tier B PSU and above if I am going base on the LTT PSU tier list. Corsair CVs, a overpriced Corsair CXs and CXMs, and other Tier B PSUs are out of stock rn. so i should wait for or or maybe get a Bequiet U9.

What country are you buying from, and what's your budget for the PSU?

7 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

So probably not but again the PSU cultists have a very high standard

As much as I respect the guys who put together the tier list, very high standard and units like the Focus FM/FX or EVGA G3 being in the same tier as Corsair AXes and Seasonic Prime Platinums and Titaniums still doesn't really make sense, at least to me.

On topic, as it's been mentioned above, the EVGA N1/W1 units should be avoided at all costs. I'd take a new Corsair VS over either of them any day of the week, though while I still wouldn't personally power an RX 570 with it, it should work even with that. With the N1 though? It's basically a lottery - both in terms of whether your GPU will work and in terms of whether your computer won't die altogether.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

18 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

do you recommend this PSU?

linus using the psu does not mean it' good, the psu is terrible. 

budget for a psu? country? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

linus using the psu does not mean it' good, the psu is terrible. 

budget for a psu? country? 

Philippines and $40(converted) but i could stretch $40 more though since my imit is $80

but I already pick what PSUs i should be buyng but they are all out of stock and only the crappy ones are available

maybe i should wait for them to be in stock again

9 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Philippines and $40(converted) but i could stretch $40 more though since my imit is $80

For 80 bucks. 

You could find a tx550m or an AMP 550W or a bitfenix formula gold or an ion+ 560w. 

These are decent.

If you couldn't stretch your budget to 80 bucks, a system power 9 400/500w or a cx450/550  or an MWE bronze V2 should do the job and should cost around 50ish bucks. But if they're all out of stock. I suggest waiting if possible. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

For 80 bucks. 

You could find a tx550m or an AMP 550W or a bitfenix formula gold or an ion+ 560w. 

The TX is overpriced in my country and the rest are not available at all.

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you couldn't stretch your budget to 80 bucks, a system power 9 400/500w or a cx450/550  or an MWE bronze V2 should do the job and should cost around 50ish bucks. But if they're all out of stock. I suggest waiting if possible. 

I found a system power u9 but the rest are also out of stock. 

this where I find PSUs:https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/components-power-supply-500-650-watts?page=1

2 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

system power u9

At least according to the list. The 400w plus version is decent. It's not bad, but if waiting is possible then you could wait. 

Build Log: 

14 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

At least according to the list. The 400w plus version is decent. It's not bad, but if waiting is possible then you could wait. 

i also found a system power 9 but it is at 600w. they dont sell less than 600w of it though

https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/components-power-supply-500-650-watts?page=1

10 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

a system power 9

they're in the same tier, on the list, so both will work just fine. 

Build Log: 

7 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

The TX is overpriced in my country

What scale are you using to determine the PSU is "overpriced"?

Is it more expensive than an equivalent spec power supply of the same wattage and therefore "overpriced" or do you just mean to say it costs more than you want to spend?

A TX550M generally costs 25% more than a CX550M.  That's not "overpriced".  That's paying more for a better product.

EDIT:  Just checked the link to the store you're using (Dynaquest).  Considering the TX650M is the cheaper than a Huntkey 650W or a Seasonic Focus FX 650, I can't see how you can come to the conclusion that the TX is "overpriced".

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What scale are you using to determine the PSU is "overpriced"?

Is it more expensive than an equivalent spec power supply of the same wattage and therefore "overpriced" or do you just mean to say it costs more than you want to spend?

A TX550M generally costs 25% more than a CX550M.  That's not "overpriced".  That's paying more for a better product.

EDIT:  Just checked the link to the store you're using (Dynaquest).  Considering the TX650M is the cheaper than a Huntkey 650W or a Seasonic Focus FX 650, I can't see how you can come to the conclusion that the TX is "overpriced". 

oof, i think i was talking about other stores. my bad