Good HBA card for FreeNas?

Hello All, I'm after recommendations for a PCIe HBA card for my SATA drives in a freenas server. I'm a bit confused with all the different types. I'm building on a serious budget, and don't need amazing performance. I'm in the UK. Would only really need an extra 2 or 3 SATA ports to add to the 4 already on the mobo.

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

LSI 9207-8i would be my go to but if you can find it cheaper a Dell PERC H310 flashed with a LSI firmware (IT mode) also works well.

34 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Pretty much any LSI or LSI OEM HBA or RAID card in IT firmware mode is good for what you need. You'll find lots of them on ebay for cheap enough prices and are high quality.

Alas, actually getting them can be problematic. I've now spent a tad over a year trying to get one, but every single time I've ordered one, I've either gotten mail that eBay has banned the seller and I've been refunded, or the order never arrive and I have to demand a refund. Obviously, it may just be that I'm unlucky, but my experience would suggest that it might be best to look elsewhere for those. The vast majority of everything else I order on eBay does arrive just fine, so I dunno what's going on there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Alas, actually getting them can be problematic. I've now spent a tad over a year trying to get one, but every single time I've ordered one, I've either gotten mail that eBay has banned the seller and I've been refunded, or the order never arrive and I have to demand a refund. Obviously, it may just be that I'm unlucky, but my experience would suggest that it might be best to look elsewhere for those. The vast majority of everything else I order on eBay does arrive just fine, so I dunno what's going on there.

Is that in the UK?

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

Just now, y3llowduk said:

Is that in the UK?

No, Finland.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I tend to go for the OEM server ones as I know they are real items from decommissioned servers, IBM M1015 for example.

I bought mine from this seller, and was pretty quick to the UK IIRC, and card came very well wrapped to prevent damage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LSI-9211-8i-Internal-SAS-SATA-6Gbps-8-Ports-HBA-PCI-E-RAID-Controller-Card/142280748330?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Mine has been operating for a few years with no problems. I did have to flash the IT firmware myself, but it wasn't hard, can be done from UEFI CLI the easiest FWICR, but there are other ways of flashing it. I still had the files and stuff from flashing it until recently, but was cleaning out the not needed stuff from my software backups and it fell into that category.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

-snip-

I ordered 3 LSI 9201-16i cards off Ebay once and US Customs grabbed them under suspicion for one reason or another they didn't actually say. Held them up for something like 2~3 weeks before they let them through.

When I got the shipment sure enough all the packaging was opened up. I sure hope they found and confiscated the drugs or weapons of mass destruction in my box full of HBAs.

Good news is they didn't break any of them because I'm sure the people at customs had no idea what they were.

image.thumb.png.0e9d488dae6d89359b97cb876940662a.png

I buy these.  I've had 3 so far and they're rock solid.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

8 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I've bought multiple cards from this seller without issue, well packaged and legitimate cards: https://www.ebay.com/usr/ebl2018

Also as @Velcade suggested, The Art of Server....he's a great seller and validates the cards. https://www.ebay.com/usr/theartofserver

He makes very good videos about servers, storage controllers and flashing them and how to recover bricked cards etc.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKHE9DEep52XlmwLbZUKvyw

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

4 hours ago, Jarsky said:

I've bought multiple cards from this seller without issue, well packaged and legitimate cards: https://www.ebay.com/usr/ebl2018

Also as @Velcade suggested, The Art of Server....he's a great seller and validates the cards. https://www.ebay.com/usr/theartofserver

If my latest attempt at purchasing one doesn't work out, I'll give those sellers a try. Thanks for the introductions, appreciated.