The Best Windows Laptop. Period.

AlexTheGreatish

At first glance the Dell XPS 15 and 17 could be the best all around laptops on the market - do they hold up to the full review?

Buy Dell XPS 15

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0l0i

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/aUV6

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ybZmtE

Buy Dell XPS 17

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/BwG0

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/wvBaAnB

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/5Kwbv

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

If I’m ever getting a new laptop dell xps seems like a solid choice 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

This is just sad. The current XPS models sufferr from SEVERE thermal and power issues, to the point where Dell is replacing first batch models due to battery discharge under load. Not to mention the DPC latency and BIOS issues that haven't been solved since 2016 when they first got reported. Countless updates later, they still plague them. Calling it the best is incredibly poor judgement considering these crippling flaws. Add to that the fact that Dell have horrid support and QA and you have a recipe for many people to waste their money on a glorified Facebook machine.

10 minutes ago, Kanna said:

If I’m ever getting a new laptop dell xps seems like a solid choice 

Can't say that's a good idea to be honest.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

This is just sad. The current XPS models sufferr from SEVERE thermal and power issues, to the point where Dell is replacing first batch models due to battery discharge under load. 

Yeah Dell has a statement about it, seems like they're on top of it but take from it what you wish:

“Dell has identified an issue on a limited quantity of XPS 17 9700 laptops and Precision 5750 mobile workstations where users may notice their battery depleting at a higher than expected rate under sustained heavy workloads and while connected to AC power. Dell has rectified the behavior, and current orders for the products are unaffected. Dell will contact customers with potentially affected systems for resolution. Customers may also contact Dell Technical Support for assistance.”

5 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Yeah Dell has a statement about it, seems like they're on top of it but take from it what you wish:

“Dell has identified an issue on a limited quantity of XPS 17 9700 laptops and Precision 5750 mobile workstations where users may notice their battery depleting at a higher than expected rate under sustained heavy workloads and while connected to AC power. Dell has rectified the behavior, and current orders for the products are unaffected. Dell will contact customers with potentially affected systems for resolution. Customers may also contact Dell Technical Support for assistance.”

That's a mild way or putting it as almost all of the first units that went are affected. Some more severely than others. It's one of those things that should never have gone past testing. I am forced to ask, did they even boot up their own device and run a moderately demanding application on it? It's not like people are seeing this in stress tests, it's happening in eSports games and average work tasks

EDIT: this is what happens when OEMs run their power delivery with improper cooling and pushes beyond its intended spec. You can't design electronics to run in an overload state by default and expect it to go unnoticed.

EDIT: also running the components at 90-100*C under load is in the Apple tier of poor cooling. The weird part is this can be rectified to some extent with proper paste and an undervolt. It's weird to say but Dell should copy Apple a bit here. The inbuilt undervolt is a good way of controlling thermals in the extremely small chassis

best windows? so is there a best linux? xd

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Well, they did say it was a MacBook competitor.

"mY MaCbOoK hAs MoRe CeLsiuS tHaN yOuR cRaPpY wInDoWs LaPtOp"

It's funny because it's true. Dell also did the same with their Inspiron Gaming models where they run at 105*C

EDIT: @BlueScope819 btw, check the language they use. Same as Apple - a small amount, a limiter number, a couple of users. Bollox, it's a widespread issue

28 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Can't say that's a good idea to be honest.

They seem good but yeah the thermal and power has to be fixed first

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

They seem good but yeah the thermal and power has to be fixed first

Id also argue the QA process must be fixed first. Having high RMA rates on a 200$ model is fine. On a 2000$ laptop, they need better customer support and more rigorous testing. Oh and a less buggy BIOS

Just now, 5x5 said:

Id also argue the QA process must be fixed first. Having high RMA rates on a 200$ model is fine. On a 2000$ laptop, they need better customer support and more rigorous testing. Oh and a less buggy BIOS

I’m glad I won’t be buying a new laptop in a while since they need to fix a lot of stuff

Reminder⚠️

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I’m glad I won’t be buying a new laptop in a while since they need to fix a lot of stuff

Don't hold your breath. Most of this has been an issue since 2015 and the 9550. The only new thing is the battery discharge.

Well I am looking for a laptop and even with some of the issues it’s seems like a good option mostly the 15 but maybe the 17 but if there are any suggestions for a similar laptop with similar specs that would be great I need it for college as an engineering student 

Just now, keegan_M_P said:

Well I am looking for a laptop and even with some of the issues it’s seems like a good option mostly the 15 but maybe the 17 but if there are any suggestions for a similar laptop with similar specs that would be great I need it for college as an engineering student 

The Asus Zephyrus G14. aside from the screen, it's better in every possible way. Magnesium alloy chassis, 9-10 hours of battery life, better cooling, MUCH better performance and excellent input devices. The G15 is also great.

2 minutes ago, keegan_M_P said:

Alternatively, the ThinkPad X1 Extreme

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Don't hold your breath. Most of this has been an issue since 2015 and the 9550. The only new thing is the battery discharge.

Well my 2012 laptop still holds up an I’m desktop main

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Well my 2012 laptop still holds up an I’m desktop main

You can probably wait till Zen3 laptops appear - the current market is not really that impressive aside from a few outliers like the G14

24 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The Asus Zephyrus G14. aside from the screen, it's better in every possible way. Magnesium alloy chassis, 9-10 hours of battery life, better cooling, MUCH better performance and excellent input devices. The G15 is also great.

Except for the lack of thunderbolt and the trackpad 

1 minute ago, keegan_M_P said:

Except for the lack of thunderbolt and the trackpad 

You're using a trackpad for engineering?

Also - what do you intend to do with TB3 that can't already be done with the available ports on other laptops. The only real novelty of TB3, eGPU, is basically dead and lost support a year ago from almost all parties.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

You're using a trackpad for engineering?

Also - what do you intend to do with TB3 that can't already be done with the available ports on other laptops. The only real novelty of TB3, eGPU, is basically dead and lost support a year ago from almost all parties.

That’s true there are just so many options it’s hard to choose especially when the XPS is advertised as being an all around good laptop that’s without mentioning all the problems people have had unfortunately 

That’s true there are just so many options it’s hard to choose especially when the XPS is advertised as being an all around good laptop that’s without mentioning all the problems people have had unfortunately 

There's no such thing as a perfect laptop. Once you get past the marketing and the appearance, many have issues, some worse than others. The G14 isn't perfect. The screen could be better, it's a plastic trackpad and I'd prefer at least a 90W 2060 but it's very good and doesn't cook itself to death and doesn't have a fucked power delivery/adapter.

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

At first glance the Dell XPS 15 and 17 could be the best all around laptops on the market - do they hold up to the full review?

Buy Dell XPS 15

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0l0i

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/aUV6

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ybZmtE

Buy Dell XPS 17

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/BwG0

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/wvBaAnB

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/5Kwbv

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Anyone know where I can get that amazing wallpaper that was on the Macbook's screen?

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

There's no such thing as a perfect laptop. Once you get past the marketing and the appearance, many have issues, some worse than others. The G14 isn't perfect. The screen could be better, it's a plastic trackpad and I'd prefer at least a 90W 2060 but it's very good and doesn't cook itself to death and doesn't have a fucked power delivery/adapter.

Yep I’ll probably go into a micro center and look at them before I make a final decision especially with the money being spent it’s nice to see them in person and talk to someone there about it too but thanks for all the help I really appreciate it 

Yep I’ll probably go into a micro center and look at them before I make a final decision especially with the money being spent it’s nice to see them in person and talk to someone there about it too but thanks for all the help I really appreciate it 

Look at the ThinkPad X1 Extreme and HP ZBook models. They're fantastic workstations with business class features such as water resistance, dust and dirt resistance, shock absorption and etc.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Look at the ThinkPad X1 Extreme and HP ZBook models. They're fantastic workstations with business class features such as water resistance, dust and dirt resistance, shock absorption and etc.

Will do