2080 Super - Insanely loud unless power limit turned down?

Sanczero

Hello everyone! Looking for some help, information and/or suggestions.

I recently got an EVGA RTX 2080 Super KO edition graphics card. By default, when the GPU hits around 60-62 degrees Celsius, the fans go crazy. Like, way too hard to the point where I can hear it just as well as my game while wearing my headset which is just not fun.

It would go up to 78 degrees or so, but the fans would be going wild the entire time, they're unbearable. When using MSI Afterburner (or EVGA Precision X) and trying to set it to a static 50% for example, the fan would do so. BUT then I'd boot up a game and as soon as it got to 60ish degrees, bam, the fans roared. Using the MSI monitoring system, it reported that my fans were at 50% still or whatever the curve was, but they definitely were NOT. Using a custom fan curve, the same thing would happen. It would hit 60ish degrees and start roaring, no matter how I had the curve set up.

Now I'm not trying to leave the fans at nothing and bake the card, I understand why they're there, but this roaring is just way to much to enjoy playing. I've had a 4-5 graphics cards over the years and never experienced anything like this, granted, this is the strongest card I've owned.

I've discovered that if I turn the power limit in MSI Afterburner down to say 70 along with the target temp to 77ish, this problem goes away. I can play games again! Albeit, I'm guessing the performance of the card is less? I haven't tested enough to say that for sure, but I would imagine so, right? Usually even in a game's menu it would hit 60ish and the fans would go crazy, now I can actually play at least without a roaring distraction, but I don't want to lose out on performance (unless it's negligible for the most part).

What's very weird in my opinion is when I run 3D Mark, this doesn't happen... So I get higher scores leaving the MSI Afterburner at default or uninstalled, AND the fans don't roar. But when I play any of my games, the fans go insane. 

If lower the power limit and target temp in the 70s, 3D Mark runs with just slightly lower fan speeds, but obviously I get a lesser score. That said, at least games are playable without the roar.

Can someone give me some insight on this? Why is this happening? Any suggestions? Do you typically lose a lot of performance when turning the power limit down to 70% from 100%?

I'd appreciate any and all help and suggestions. Thank you folks, have a nice weekend!

if u turn the power limit down to 70% it basically is a 2060S, just use a lower, fixed fan speed.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

One thing that I've rarely if ever seen recommended for these types of questions/topics is simply LIMITING THE FRAMERATE...   this lowers your load temps by a lot

The games I play my card is capable of pushing anywhere between 100-150fps..... now if I go into Nvidia settings and limit my FPS to 60fps, my temperatures under load drop dramatically, I'm talking like 10c-20c depending on the game.

Battlefield 5 for example my card was getting to about 65c's under load with 110 fps roughly... I limit the rate to 60fps and load temps were just over 50c's... and I could not notice any difference between 60 and 110 fps, anyone who tells you they can is a liar, or a professional gamer, lol

So unless you're playing a highly competitive online shooter where you need massive FPS, just limit your framerate and it will drop your temps a LOT

1 hour ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

The games I play my card is capable of pushing anywhere between 100-150fps..... now if I go into Nvidia settings and limit my FPS to 60fps, my temperatures under load drop dramatically, I'm talking like 10c-20c depending on the game.

Doesn't really work if you have a 144Hz/165Hz monitor though.

1 hour ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

and I could not notice any difference between 60 and 110 fps, anyone who tells you they can is a liar

This just suggests to me you've never seen 100+FPS actually rendered on screen. You can literally tell the difference just in the Windows splash screen any time you move the cursor. The difference in gaming between 60 and 100FPS is huge; granted you see a law of diminishing returns the further you go beyond that point, but I'm far from a "pro gamer" and if even I can tell the difference then most people should be able to.

3 hours ago, Sanczero said:

Can someone give me some insight on this?

Have you tried using EVGA Precision X1 instead of MSI Afterburner? I hate to recommend Precision because it's a right pain in the arse in terms of saving/recalling profiles (in fact just as I checked that I noticed mine had reverted to stock clocks, FML)  and has possibly the least friendly UI in all of existence, but it does work VERY well in terms of fan control. I run a custom curve on my EVGA RTX2080 XC which keeps it all-but inaudible over my case fans. Despite a 650MHz memory/100MHz core overclock with the power limit maxed out I can keep fan speeds under 50% in all but the most demanding tasks, and that's on the relatively crappy two-slot XC cooler.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

4 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

This just suggests to me you've never seen 100+FPS actually rendered on screen. You can literally tell the difference just in the Windows splash screen any time you move the cursor. The difference in gaming between 60 and 100FPS is huge; granted you see a law of diminishing returns the further you go beyond that point, but I'm far from a "pro gamer" and if even I can tell the difference then most people should be able to.

Have you tried using EVGA Precision X1 instead of MSI Afterburner? I hate to recommend Precision because it's a right pain in the arse in terms of saving/recalling profiles (in fact just as I checked that I noticed mine had reverted to stock clocks, FML)  and has possibly the least friendly UI in all of existence, but it does work VERY well in terms of fan control. I run a custom curve on my EVGA RTX2080 XC which keeps it all-but inaudible over my case fans. Despite a 650MHz memory/100MHz core overclock with the power limit maxed out I can keep fan speeds under 50% in all but the most demanding tasks, and that's on the relatively crappy two-slot XC cooler.

this hits home hard, the profile loading LOL, oh well it's only a couple of sliders i guess....

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

5 hours ago, Sanczero said:

Hello everyone! Looking for some help, information and/or suggestions.

I recently got an EVGA RTX 2080 Super KO edition graphics card. By default, when the GPU hits around 60-62 degrees Celsius, the fans go crazy. Like, way too hard to the point where I can hear it just as well as my game while wearing my headset which is just not fun.

It would go up to 78 degrees or so, but the fans would be going wild the entire time, they're unbearable. When using MSI Afterburner (or EVGA Precision X) and trying to set it to a static 50% for example, the fan would do so. BUT then I'd boot up a game and as soon as it got to 60ish degrees, bam, the fans roared. Using the MSI monitoring system, it reported that my fans were at 50% still or whatever the curve was, but they definitely were NOT. Using a custom fan curve, the same thing would happen. It would hit 60ish degrees and start roaring, no matter how I had the curve set up.

Now I'm not trying to leave the fans at nothing and bake the card, I understand why they're there, but this roaring is just way to much to enjoy playing. I've had a 4-5 graphics cards over the years and never experienced anything like this, granted, this is the strongest card I've owned.

I've discovered that if I turn the power limit in MSI Afterburner down to say 70 along with the target temp to 77ish, this problem goes away. I can play games again! Albeit, I'm guessing the performance of the card is less? I haven't tested enough to say that for sure, but I would imagine so, right? Usually even in a game's menu it would hit 60ish and the fans would go crazy, now I can actually play at least without a roaring distraction, but I don't want to lose out on performance (unless it's negligible for the most part).

What's very weird in my opinion is when I run 3D Mark, this doesn't happen... So I get higher scores leaving the MSI Afterburner at default or uninstalled, AND the fans don't roar. But when I play any of my games, the fans go insane. 

If lower the power limit and target temp in the 70s, 3D Mark runs with just slightly lower fan speeds, but obviously I get a lesser score. That said, at least games are playable without the roar.

Can someone give me some insight on this? Why is this happening? Any suggestions? Do you typically lose a lot of performance when turning the power limit down to 70% from 100%?

I'd appreciate any and all help and suggestions. Thank you folks, have a nice weekend!

I had this issue with my EVGA XC 2080 ti. It was so bad the I complained to EVGA. 

The secret lies with your 3Dmark experience. It does not roar because the 3D Mark benches hit the GPU hard in the graphic tests and not the CPU. The CPU only works hard in the physics test and when that is run the GPU is not being pushed at all.

What was happening was when my CPU was working hard it filled the case with warm air that forced the fans on the GPU to work harder.

To fix it I added another exhaust fan on the upper part of the case so less warm air was being pushed down. I also relocated the case because there was no air circulation around it so it was recirculating its own warm air.

I tested this with a floor fan first. The case was under a desk in a corner of a bed room. The floor fan pushed the stagnant warm air around the case away dropping the temperature by 3c. This was enough to stop the roar. To get it to not roar without the floor fan and be able to overclock it I ended up moving the case and adding the exhaust fan.

I personally think that the high end RTX cards are too hot for a 2 fan, 2 slot setup. I had the case in the same spot running 2 GTX 980 tis and later a GTX 1080 ti with no issues.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 hours ago, xg32 said:

if u turn the power limit down to 70% it basically is a 2060S, just use a lower, fixed fan speed.

That's unfortunately the problem, I fix the fan speed the GPU ignores it and goes crazy once at 60ish degrees.

3 hours ago, HM-2 said:

I did try EVGA Precision X and the same issue occurred. I will try it again though in case I missed something.

1 minute ago, Sanczero said:

I did try EVGA Precision X and the same issue occurred. I will try it again though in case I missed something.

Can you walk me through though the process you used to set the fan curve? You might have the run the application as administrator too.

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

2 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Can you walk me through though the process you used to set the fan curve? You might have the run the application as administrator too.

Can't remember exactly on Precision, but on Afterburner I turned on custom fan curve, set it, turned on user defined and hit apply. I can hear the fan adjust to whatever I set it to, but as soon as I get in a game they sound they like they're on 70-80 the entire time as soon as 60c is hit.

Okay, this is weird: It only happens on some games... Just played Escape From Tarkov for 20 minutes with the power limit at default 100% and target temp 84c, and the game ran fine and followed the fan curve. Multiple other games it doesn't...

Going to further investigate, perhaps when using HDR or something the VBIOS takes over and makes the fans go crazy? Not sure.

EDIT: HDR may not even matter wrt this issue. Seems like if I turn the power down in MSI Afterburner, then back up 100% while in game, the fans don't ramp up to an ungodly noise.

16 hours ago, HM-2 said:

All this is all done on my $900 IPS 2K 165hz Asus G-Sync monitor and a 2080 Super, so yea I've definitely seen "100+FPS"  

But it works just fine for me, I'd rather have my temps drop almost 10-15 degrees than to have an extra 40-50 fps that are hardly noticeable. 

Been messing around some more regarding this issue.

There's a chance that MSI Dragon Center having "Gaming Mode" on was causing this. Further gaming/testing will be required before I can say for sure.

5 hours ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

I'd rather have my temps drop almost 10-15 degrees 

Why, though? If you're under the cards thermal limit and the fans are at a speed where you find their volume unobtrusive then a 10-15°C temperature delta is completely irrelevant surely? There would be exactly zero practical difference between a card stabilising at 68°C and one stabilising at 53°C during gaming workloads and even if you genuinely believe that the difference between 60 and 100fps is minimal (which the fact you spent nearly $2k on a 165Hz GSync panel and GPU to drive suggests you don't) that minimal difference still outweighs the zero benefit from temperature reduction.

3 hours ago, Sanczero said:

There's a chance that MSI Dragon Center having "Gaming Mode" on was causing this. Further gaming/testing will be required before I can say for sure.

Yeah that sounds entirely plausible. Having multiple different apps that can manage things like power limits and fan curves can definitely cause issues like those you've described.

I had similar issue (but with 68 degree) on my 2080

I did a RMA and got a new GPU. Because it should not be making a noise like that and most likely was the sensor that was broken.

Link to my thread https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1214274-gpu-fans-spin-100-on-70-degree-celsius/?tab=comments#comment-13880319

Then you can judge if this is similar or not.

12 hours ago, Sahl said:

I had similar issue (but with 68 degree) on my 2080

I did a RMA and got a new GPU. Because it should not be making a noise like that and most likely was the sensor that was broken.

Link to my thread https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1214274-gpu-fans-spin-100-on-70-degree-celsius/?tab=comments#comment-13880319

Then you can judge if this is similar or not.

Sounds incredibly similar, think I'm going to go that route. It's definitely not right and the noise is unbearable. For the cost I spent, I'm not willing to reduce the power by 30% just to be able to hear my games lol.

23 hours ago, Sanczero said:

Not MSI Dragon's fault. Uninstalled it completely, did a restart and the problem still exist. Roars the fans loudly. 

Just believe I got a junk card. Been doing back and forth with EVGA. Planning on replacing it if possible.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:52 PM, SuperStreetFighter said:

All this is all done on my $900 IPS 2K 165hz Asus G-Sync monitor and a 2080 Super, so yea I've definitely seen "100+FPS"  

But it works just fine for me, I'd rather have my temps drop almost 10-15 degrees than to have an extra 40-50 fps that are hardly noticeable. 

They instantly turned down when I limited the FPS to 60. That said, that's unacceptable for the fans to ignore the temperature and curve and ramp themselves up just when the FPS is 100. I paid $750 for the card and $300+ for a 144hz monitor, and everyone I talk to doesn't have this happen with similar settings.  

Okay, the real problem may be my brain. There is a chance, and get ready to laugh at me and call me names, that the noise is actually coming from the power supply unit fan.

I have a Corsair CX750M. I'll have to play around more tomorrow after work to be sure, but I'm starting to think this may be the case. If so, please desgniate me the dumbest user on this website. I just recently upgraded to this PSU, GPU and a new CPU with a 1440p 144hz monitor for the first time. Is a PSU like this necessary to play at 1440p ~100 frames, or are there just as capable ones that run quieter (assuming this is the issue, we'll see lol).

FINAL UPDATE:

I purchased a Seasonic PSU that was also 750 watts, the same as my Corsair CX750M. The Seasonic PSU has two fan options, normal and hybrid. Both are insanely quieter than the CX750M's only mode.

So far, I would absolutely recommend the Seasonic. As for the CX750M by Corsair, it seems like it would be fine as long as you're not playing above 60fps + 1440p. It just requires itself to run like a jet engine when putting out the power.