What does the brown wire mean on a laptop charging port?

Go to solution Solved by TheBean,

are you talking about the wires internally on the motherboard connecting to the port? externally its just (usually) a barrel plug so just 3 wires for live and neutral and ground. 

What does the brown wire mean on a laptop charging port? I am just doing a project that will fix my laptop that has never been used in awhile.

It's not standard. Follow the wire and see where it goes.

What is the model of laptop, charger, and what's wrong with it?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

are you talking about the wires internally on the motherboard connecting to the port? externally its just (usually) a barrel plug so just 3 wires for live and neutral and ground. 

Is black negative

4 minutes ago, Saksham said:

I'm newbie at soldering

Just now, NoobBoi said:

Is black negative

7 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

I'm newbie at soldering

Take pictures of the board and the charger. You should be tell which goes to ground fairly easily.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

I'm newbie at soldering

Black is usually negative/ground however it's best practice to test with a multimeter if the connection is proprietary before you go potentially reversing the polarity of something.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

^this

you don't want to send 19 volts or whatever to the charger sense line on certain models of chargers and laptops

Got it soldered right now, works great.

Anyone who does this mod do not let the black and red wires touch each other

32 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

So I take it you learned the hard way.

Either it was because of capacitor discharge or you left it plugged into the wall while you were working on it didn't you?

1 hour ago, NoobBoi said:

i had similar experience trying to fix my laptop charger, i bridged the live and neutral while it's plugged in and powered on (forgot to unplug after testing)

except it's not the 19v end, it was on the 240v end

the spark was fantastic ngl and a lesson i'll never forget

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

52 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So I take it you learned the hard way.

Either it was because of capacitor discharge or you left it plugged into the wall while you were working on it didn't you?

No, just giving a warning. Had something like that happen before, but the wires sparked and melted a bit...

11 hours ago, NoobBoi said:

No, just giving a warning. Had something like that happen before, but the wires sparked and melted a bit...

Dont mess with electricity if your level of understanding it is very low... its not just risking your hardware but your health or maybe life as well.