NBA announces plan to use Microsoft Teams

zeusthemoose

Summary

Following Microsoft’s announcement of the addition of Together Mode to Microsoft teams, the NBA has announced that they will incorporate Microsoft teams into their stadiums to make it more like a game before quarantine.
 Together Mode is a new part of Microsoft Teams which uses ai to cut out the participants bodies and place everyone on one background. It can be used to simulate being in a classroom, meeting room, or in this case, a stadium.

Stadiums will be getting 17 foot tall lcd screens placed on three sides which can show up to 300 fans. There will be moderators to ensure that everyone follows the rules and is not disruptive.

In addition to Microsoft Teams being added, the NBA has said that they will be increasing the number of camera angles covered to ensure that people get the most immersive experience possibly.

As of now, I do not believe they have said who can/how you can become one of the people in the meeting.

image.thumb.jpeg.b5a20259befe85bf882f19fe176994e7.jpeg

Quotes

And today, in partnership with the NBA, we are excited to announce a reimagined fan experience powered by a new feature in Microsoft Teams called Together mode. Together mode uses AI segmentation technology to bring people together into a shared background like a conference room, coffee shop, or arena. Using scientific principles of cognition and social perception, Together mode is more than a virtual background—it makes being together virtually actually feel like being together in-person. It’s easy to maintain natural eye contact, for instance, or register fellow participants’ emotions as they react to what’s happening—whether it’s a meeting announcement, a class presentation, or the sight of a favorite NBA player about to score a three-pointer.

Starting July 30, the NBA will outfit each game court with 17-foot-tall LED screens that wrap three sides of the arena. These “stands” will be populated with more than 300 cheering fans who will join the game using Together mode in Teams. Alongside a view of their fellow fans, participants can watch a live feed of the game right within Teams.

(Microsoft Announcement)

My thoughts

As someone who really doesn’t watch or participate in sports, this isn’t a big thing to me. However, i do find it nice that they were able to find someway to immerse the fans.
 I am very interested in Together Mode and I believe it will become the next big feature that video chatting platforms will be adding for use during this time.

Sources

Microsoft Announcement

The Verge

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

7 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Together Mode is a new part of Microsoft Teams which uses ai to cut out the participants bodies and place everyone on one background. It can be used to simulate being in a classroom, meeting room, or in this case, a stadium.

Stadiums will be getting 17 foot tall lcd screens placed on three sides which can show up to 300 fans. There will be moderators to ensure that everyone follows the rules and is not disruptive.

I give it until the end of the first quarter before a drunk sports fan virtually streaks by flashing his ass to the webcam.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I wonder how much Microsoft pays for all these sports partnerships. It's not the first time they team up to get some publicity (I believe it was the NFL last time). 

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wonder how much Microsoft pays for all these sports partnerships. It's not the first time they team up to get some publicity (I believe it was the NFL last time). 

They're already pretty prevalent in the corporate world, it's probably not the same position as it was when it launched.

we use Teams at work. So many bugs.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

MS going into sports?

See the source image

Hopefully this wont happen again

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

But they already have NBA 2K21 coming this fall!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 7/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, Spotty said:

I give it until the end of the first quarter before a drunk sports fan virtually streaks by flashing his ass to the webcam.

I give it 30 seconds tops.

So they're going to replace the crowd at games with basically cardboard cutout people, like in older sports games?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

this is stupid.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:01 PM, Shreyas1 said:

MS going into sports?

See the source image

Hopefully this wont happen again

They are already prevalent in sports. In NFL as it was said before but they also have a partnership with Real Madrid and probably a lot more teams. It's also very likely that a ton of sports staff use Azure and other Microsoft products for their analytics, meetings and stuff.