Seasonic vs Corsair PSU

zeltrabas
47 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Ever since my AX860i died and fried my PC I moved to Seasonic and I wouldn't change.

those AXi's are not respresentative of Corsair's whole lineup and actually came out to have a pretty high RMA rate compared to some others (estimations I've seen around 10%)

48 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A customized platform is not the same as actually designing the AC DC convertersion and regulation in-house.

then again, there's a difference between "custom" and custom here. a custom design means that they are doing that, for example AXi was done with Flextronics, not by

49 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Changing the enclosure and some of the fan control is not the same level of control over the power delivery, if at all.

this isn't the case with the Corsair units, except for CV and the 750/850w part of CXM

50 minutes ago, Enderman said:

TDK, meanwell, etc. focus on industrial power supplies not consumer.

Even Delta is more OEM than retail.

they were examples

50 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Warranty tells you how confident the engineers are with their design and component selection.

except if you change the policy, which isn't uncommon

- smoke once? warranty over

- open it? warranty over

- certain defects that could've been done by user error? warranty invalid

they do happen from time to time

52 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most manufacturers these days are far less than 10 years, even corsair only offers 10 years on their highest end units

yep, yet in a couple years they'll all be irrelevant anyways

58 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A customized platform is not the same as actually designing the AC DC convertersion and regulation in-house.

Changing the enclosure and some of the fan control is not the same level of control over the power delivery, if at all.

Glad we agree here.  Because Corsair is doing a lot more than just changing the enclosure and some of the fan control in 99% of the PSUs that bear their name.

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

those AXi's are not respresentative of Corsair's whole lineup and actually came out to have a pretty high RMA rate compared to some others (estimations I've seen around 10%).

Right.  But none of those AXi's "died and fried a PC".

I'm done here and just going to chalk this one up as Enderman being a troll and I took the bait.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Obviously I only keep track of the higher end units, so if they outsource lower end stuff I don't actually care.

You kinda have to care if you are gonna make statements like "I only buy seasonic PSUs now, because they make all of them themlselves." and keep any credibility. 

45 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Right.  But none of those AXi's "died and fried a PC"

well, looks like some of those 10% somehow did... or they just never returned them

48 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Glad we agree here.  Because Corsair is doing a lot more than just changing the enclosure and some of the fan control in 99% of the PSUs that bear their name.

Right.  But none of those AXi's "died and fried a PC".

I'm done here and just going to chalk this one up as Enderman being a troll and I took the bait.

Mine did, took motherboard, CPU, and hard drive with it.

Luckily ASUS and Intel allowed me to RMA, since they didn't ask any details about how it died.

The best part was that my SSD with most of my data survived.

I've also seen several people have PSU failures on this forum and usually the SSD is unharmed, probably because it doesn't use the 12v rail.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I find the dynamics in this thread very interesting.  On one hand, I would think I'd rather buy the PSU from the company that does the complete design, not one that just makes changes to other company's PSU's.  HOWEVER, and this is a huge HOWEVER, look at the customer support from the company that just makes the changes.  Heck, they are on this forum supporting their products.  That is huge to me.  I really don't think you will find any Seasonic Engineers on this forum supporting their products and answering questions.  My hat goes off to you Mr. Guru.  👏

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, looks like some of those 10% somehow did... or they just never returned them

Right.  My point was, you said "10% failed" in response to his "mine blew up and killed the motherboard with it."  

When you read the two in sequence, it sounds like "10% failed and killed motherboards with them" which is a false statement.

11 hours ago, Enderman said:

Ever since my AX860i died and fried my PC I moved to Seasonic and I wouldn't change.

Your personal experience doesn't matter because you'll find a plenty of such examples for Seasonic PSUs too, or any other brand for that matter. That's what warranty is for. Again, OP's question were about two specific PSUs, both made by Seasonic, so your argument is invalid from the start.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Your personal experience doesn't matter because you'll find a plenty of such examples for Seasonic PSUs too, or any other brand for that matter. That's what warranty is for. Again, OP's question were about two specific PSUs, both made by Seasonic, so your argument is invalid from the start.

It's not just me, you can find plenty of issues with corsair PSUs among many different models.

You should look at forums or reddit more often to get a general.

With seasonic its exctremely rare (except some of the low end units of course)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

OP, I think that the answer is apparent, now :P. I don't feel like I need to say anything

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's not just me, you can find plenty of issues with corsair PSUs among many different models.

You should look at forums or reddit more often to get a general.

Corsair AX860i and AX1200i are the only models i've seen even a remotely 'plenty' amount of issues, all other units except for very low end stuff like VS or older TX, RM and CX units don't have any known issues. So if you're saying that you either need to provide some examples for your claims or i'd assume it's just your confirmation bias. Because if you're gonna judge an entire brand product stack by some bad units then i can say that all Seasonic PSUs are bad because they have stuff like S12II/M12II X20W, S12II and problems with early Focus lineups, oh, and they also cheap out on sub 750W PRIME Gold SKUs actually using Focus platform there. Yet, i don't say that all Seasonic PSUs are bad, neither i do for Corsair, because it isn't as black and white as you think.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

- Thread locked -

Looks like there's already been some answers to the original question but the conversation has since drifted in to pointless arguing over which brands people like more which isn't contributing anything helpful or meaningful to the discussion.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450