OnePlus Nord Series Announced

Dhalucario

Summary

OnePlus launched their new Nord smartphone model just a couple hours ago. The release presentation featured the smartphone itself in an AR environment which you could view with an app you could download before the presentation. The smartphone releases in 14 days.

1-m00-15-d2-rb8lb18cw9kapfouaawjvqw4rbo469_840_840.png.4dc79182784f47385f7b767435a5aaf8.png

Quotes

- A 48 MP powerhouse that we’ve pulled directly from the OnePlus 8.

- Our highest resolution front camera paired with our first ultra wide selfie lens.

- Smooth. Snappy. Responsive. Strangely hypnotic. 90 Hz is all of those things.

- A chip wasn’t enough. So we turned to a dragon. Naturally, it’s fast as hell.

- With download speeds up to 3.38* Gbps, Nord puts broadband to shame.
- All-day power in half an hour*. Wave goodbye to battery anxiety.

My thoughts

OnePlus has been an interesting brand for me. I only recently got aware of them when a school friend of mine gave me his OnePlus 3T. So far my experience with the device has been super enjoyable. The relatively low price seems to be really cool for what the smartphone brings to the table. I really hope LTT makes a video on it. I didn't see a 3.5mm jack, so I am kind of disappointed. I kinda like having the choice to use headphones with cable in case the bluetooth ones are empty.

Sources

https://www.oneplus.com/nord

https://www.oneplus.com/nord-series

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I love the "Never Settle" tagline is still being used...like if you're buying this instead of their flagship phone aren't you technically "settling" for the cheaper model🤔

If you can't pick one, just buy all of them. Never Settle.

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I love the "Never Settle" tagline is still being used...like if you're buying this instead of their flagship phone aren't you technically "settling" for the cheaper model🤔

With Never Settle they just mean that there's always something better coming in the future. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I heard about a week ago that they are default shipping with the google apps (store, messages, maps, etc.) was that addressed during the event?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

I found out about them when the OnePlus 7 Pro came out. Ended up getting one a couple months after release and it has not disappointed me yet

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

5 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I heard about a week ago that they are default shipping with the google apps (store, messages, maps, etc.) was that addressed during the event?

They didn't really say anything about it. I think if I get it I will throw Lineage or smth like that on it anyway.

Not a terrible phone but it sounds like it's going to be solidly midrange in most regards. Still doesn't quite match their "flagship at a lower price" mentality.

I might still try one out, depends what the MKBHD review is like.

It's significantly cheaper in India. I wonder how hard it would be to import one of those to Canada 🤔

15 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Well, you could look at it in quite a few different ways. Like, for instance, you're not setting for shortfalls within that price bracket.

6 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Why wouldn't it?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why wouldn't it?

I didn’t look into it too much, but the article made it seem like one plus devices used to ship with either their apps or ones other than googles and this was the first device they made that shipped with it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

55 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I didn’t look into it too much, but the article made it seem like one plus devices used to ship with either their apps or ones other than googles and this was the first device they made that shipped with it.

Nope.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd be intrigued to find out the longevity of the Nord in terms of software updates. It seems on paper like a phone that would match OnePlus' flagships on software support due to most of the components being inherited from previous OnePlus models.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

4 minutes ago, sowon said:

I'd be intrigued to find out the longevity of the Nord in terms of software updates. It seems on paper like a phone that would match OnePlus' flagships on software support due to most of the components being inherited from previous OnePlus models.

It won't work with your Airpods Pro tho.

Far less competitive than I hoped it would be. Even Samsung offers similar price to performance/features with their A71. 

Also, lol at OnePlus showing prototypes and stuff for MKBHD during the interview. OnePlus doesn't design or manufacture their own devices. OPPO does. OnePlus doesn't really have much say in how their device looks so I don't get why they are showing prototypes going "here is what we designed but then settled on this design". 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Far less competitive than I hoped it would be. Even Samsung offers similar price to performance/features with their A71. 

Also, lol at OnePlus showing prototypes and stuff for MKBHD during the interview. OnePlus doesn't design or manufacture their own devices. OPPO does. OnePlus doesn't really have much say in how their device looks so I don't get why they are showing prototypes going "here is what we designed but then settled on this design". 

That isn't necessarily true. VW Group for example uses same platforms across VW, Škoda and SEAT brands, but the stuff they put on top is up to the individual subsidiary and can vary quite significantly. Not saying phones are the same, but OPPO is the VW in this story and OnePlus is the Škoda/SEAT. They still talk to each other and aren't entirely disconnected between what each one is doing. Sharing platforms or designs is there just to cut costs. It's why cars share platforms, it's why iPhone SE 2020 uses mass produced old bits and pairs the with new bits and same is for Oppo/OnePlus. Maybe shell and base design is the same and then it's down to OnePlus to decide what cameras, displays and stuff they'll put into the given shell/case.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

That isn't necessarily true. VW Group for example uses same platforms across VW, Škoda and SEAT brands, but the stuff they put on top is up to the individual subsidiary and can vary quite significantly. Not saying phones are the same, but OPPO is the VW in this story and OnePlus is the Škoda/SEAT. They still talk to each other and aren't entirely disconnected between what each one is doing. Sharing platforms or designs is there just to cut costs. It's why cars share platforms, it's why iPhone SE 2020 uses mass produced old bits and pairs the with new bits and same is for Oppo/OnePlus. Maybe shell and base design is the same and then it's down to OnePlus to decide what cameras, displays and stuff they'll put into the given shell/case.

Yes but I'm not sure if you saw the MKBHD interview with the CEO of OnePlus. He talked about how they made prototypes of the phone with different layouts and such before they "came up" with the final design.

However, in reality they just used whatever OPPO gave them.

I get why they do it. You don't want to just go out and say "hey, our products aren't actually made by us" but I feel like that interview tried to push a narrative that OnePlus is a big company a bit too much.

"Look at all these prototypes we have!"

"Look, our team is working on different designs!"

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if those prototypes were just OPPO prototypes with a OnePlus sticker on them.

When in reality OPPO probably went "hey, we have this RealMi X50, wanna. Wanna rebrand that with your own software?" and OnePlus said "yes", then made some very small changes and started selling that as the OnePlus Nord. Same deal with the Oppo Find X2 Pro and OnePlus 8 Pro. OnePlus 7 was the Oppo Reno Zoom with some minor changes.

And there is nothing wrong with that. Like you said, they do it in the car industry (not to the same extent though) as well. If it means cheaper phones then I welcome it. I just don't like that they aren't very open about it and are trying to push a different image.

+1 @LAwLz

Furthermore i am a Oneplus fan from times but since i watched the video on their website i didn't like a lot the boss and its attitude.

I'm looking for a new brand phone to replace my oneplus. And as u said, they are not creative at all.

Yes in car industry i have a friend working in Hyundai:

they use in Kia the elements that worked fine on hyundai cars. the difference is mostly the design.

And any company needs different price ranges in order to have more clients.

1 hour ago, fred82 said:

Furthermore i am a Oneplus fan from times but since i watched the video on their website i didn't like a lot the boss and its attitude.

I'm looking for a new brand phone to replace my oneplus. And as u said, they are not creative at all.

Don't get me wrong. I think they make good phones. The OnePlus 8 Pro is one of the best phones on the market (even in the camera department), and the OnePlus Nord is a decent mid-range phone.

They aren't really special anymore, like when they released the OnePlus One which was half the price of the competitors with similar specs.

You can't really go wrong with either one of their current offerings, and their strong point is their software. I am just a bit bummed out that their strong point is no longer "really high end hardware for mid-range pricing". I guess if you want high price:performance then you have to go with Apple these days.

Overall solid, but competition ain't sleeping. The punchhole needs to die though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Taking a page right out of Apple's book. Very underwhelming device.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

15 hours ago, sowon said:

They claim 2 years of software updates and 3 years of security updates.

From my limited research seems like Oneplus does OK on software updates.

This might be my next phone, seeing as how a Pixel 4a doesnt seem to be showing up anytime soon. Seems like a solid phone, and 400 EUR is about what I would spend on a phone.

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

This might be my next phone, seeing as how a Pixel 4a doesnt seem to be showing up anytime soon. Seems like a solid phone, and 400 EUR is about what I would spend on a phone.

The Pixel 4a is coming, but unless you really want Google's camera, the Nord will probably do the trick.

16 hours ago, maartendc said:

Does One+ have anything that makes you want it over a Poco,  Mi 10 or similar phones?

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

Does One+ have anything that makes you want it over a Poco,  Mi 10 or similar phones?

oxygenOS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

oxygenOS

Laughs in unlocked bootloader and audio jack

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

51 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Laughs in unlocked bootloader and audio jack

and then there's 1+, the one company that doesn't void your warranty if you unlock the bootloader, flash a custom rom and doesn't force you to wait days to get a bootloader unlock code

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>