PIA to shutdown Hong Kong servers due to new security law

----------------------------------------------

Summary

VPN services are shutting down their servers in Hong Kong due to the new security law from China.

Quotes

Located in Denver, Colorado, Private Internet Access, said earlier this week it will be “wiping and shutting down” its Hong Kong servers “because new national security laws in the region endanger the privacy of our users and all Hong Kong residents.”

My thoughts

It is sad to see that even businesses are forced to cut ties with Hong Kong. I understand that PIA is a business and has to what is best for the company, but it is still sad to see that they have to remove an avenue for free speech. I wonder what other businesses will have to leave Hong Kong because of these types of laws. Lastly, I would like everyone to think of all the freedoms that we take for granted.

Sources

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/17/vpn-firms-shut-down-hong-kong-servers-over-security-law-concerns.html

See, the funny thing is most mainlanders don't even use popular VPNs, but rather small inconspicuous offshore shadowsocks servers.

Not like I ever need them 95% of the time anyways.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, DaCrewMaster said:

Lastly, I would like everyone to think of all the freedoms that we take for granted.

Or lack there of. When you learn how much the NSA and CIA (or whatever agency you have if your in Canada, Aus. NZ. and the UK) collect, you start to question saying certain things. Unless your an activist (like me :))

But it is good PIA is shutting down in the sense that they have enough integrity to not comply with such laws

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Me: Is wondering if there’s a volatile mass storage solution (cheaper than RAM, but still volatile) specifically to thwart sudden seizures of servers. Cut the power and there is nothing for authorities to seize. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Isn't PIA known for compliance to governments? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Isn't PIA known for compliance to governments? 

No. They've been subpoenaed a few times, only producing basic information, so I think they're good (I don't actually use it tho)

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

8 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

No. They've been subpoenaed a few times, only producing basic information, so I think they're good (I don't actually use it tho)

https://restoreprivacy.com/private-internet-access-kape-crossrider/

Now owned by a previous malware authoring company, and they are based in the US, which is the worst place for a VPN provider or privacy service.

2 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

https://restoreprivacy.com/private-internet-access-kape-crossrider/

Now owned by a previous malware authoring company, and they are based in the US, which is the worst place for a VPN provider or privacy service.

Yep. I know. I don't use pia (I use protonVPN). Linus had concerns when they got acquired, but he had a call (which he recorded) and he had his concerns addressed. Others (beside myself) are ok with pia. Again, I don't use pia (neither a vpn most of the time).

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Yep. I know. I don't use pia (I use protonVPN). Linus had concerns when they got acquired, but he had a call (which he recorded) and he had his concerns addressed. Others (beside myself) are ok with pia. Again, I don't use pia (neither a vpn most of the time).

Yeah I saw. Is their CTO still this guy too? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Karpelès
Personally I use ExpressVPN. I would have gone with cheaper Nord, but they've leaked customer data multiple times recently (even 2020), so until their next audit, they're a no-go for me.
As you no doubt know when you chose Proton, the country they operate from is one of the more important considerations! :) 
This is a handy site to bookmark, as he updates regularly and flags any issues as well as posting audit reports etc: 
https://restoreprivacy.com/category/vpn-reviews/