Is building your own camera stupid or genius?

NickHeavy

The Raspberry Pi foundation recently released their new "High Quality Camera". While it looks good on paper, you need to build it to be able to use it. How does it hold up to a cellphone? What is it meant for?

For more info head to the Raspberry Pi Foundation's site and where to buy: https://lmg.gg/3mx2I

3D printed housing. Thanks Adafruit!!: https://lmg.gg/38ncZ

Thanks HenriDIY for the Tripod: https://lmg.gg/F5ViX

Buy RasPi and accessories

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/9AlqDBv

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/CBUAe

"High Quality" is a relative term 😂

For real though, this is a significant increase in quality over the old rasPi sensor. I'm excited to see these in use for long term timelapse, CCTV and more :D 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

im generally a fan of raspberry pi and arm sbcs i was really hoping that they make something like this

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Good for short term experimental learning. Nothing to take serious for.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

image.png.509cafeae9d40aa517171207028d7575.png

@CPotter you're fired

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The title was fixed, thanks. 

1 hour ago, BrinkGG said:

"High Quality" is a relative term 😂

For real though, this is a significant increase in quality over the old rasPi sensor. I'm excited to see these in use for long term timelapse, CCTV and more :D

Yes it's much better than the previous Pi cameras.  I will be messing with it to try to get  more out of the sensor as in the current configuration there are only 2 data lanes to the Pi through the current connector. A hat will be needed, or something to get the other 2 lanes of data. 1080p 240 fps is the dream.  

2 minutes ago, NickHeavy said:

Yes it's much better than the previous Pi cameras.  I will be messing with it to try to get  more out of the sensor as in the current configuration there are only 2 data lanes to the Pi through the current connector. A hat will be needed, or something to get the other 2 lanes of data. 1080p 240 fps is the dream.  

RasPi High Speed camera in the future? 👀

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

2 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

RasPi High Speed camera in the future? 👀

Personal project, if  I can get it working and it looks good, maybe another video. But don't hold your breath for it. 

Since you can install android on Pi can someone port the pixel's camera app and reroute it to use this camera instead?, maybe then we can see some improved results from a normal camera usage point of view.

There is a scope of applications where the raspberry Pi and its cameras as well are often deployed, and that is industry.

Its a small, relatively "high performance", network equipped, computer with a fair assortment of GPIO, and it has support for a camera too.

It's like the dream Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) if you give it a decent case and an expansion board and it suddenly competes with PLCs that  can cost into the hundreds of dollars, and then they typically still don't have networking as standard, or even a a 100 MB worth of RAM, or SD card support, or networking....

Downside with the Raspberry Pi compared to a PLC is that a Raspberry Pi doesn't come in a case, it doesn't "just work" straight out of the box, nor does it use 12-48 volt power...

It requires a lot more work to get it up and running. (Though most of that work is software wrangling, something most industry technicians honestly don't want to deal with.)
(though, one can just buy a kit that includes nearly everything one needs to turn a RPi into a proper PLC, but still, its extra hassle and it lacks the name brand, familiarity and most importantly the certifications of a PLC provided by an actual PLC vendor.)

So why didn't we see a bunch of C-mount adapters used here? Give it some good optics and show off! 

Also it shouldn't be hard to script something to have a shutter button to just trigger the command line? 

23 hours ago, NickHeavy said:

When I first saw the title and thumbnail, I thought you were going for a Ring alternative... And I thought, "Oh my, that's a good pun."

Well, maybe in the future you can be buildring a Home automation system or something :)

15 hours ago, idmb said:

So why didn't we see a bunch of C-mount adapters used here? Give it some good optics and show off! 

Also it shouldn't be hard to script something to have a shutter button to just trigger the command line? 

Not enough time to make the mounts. The scope of this video was exploratory, see if it was worth putting more effort into the camera. I think there is, hence why I will be making this a personal project. BUT the numbers don't lie. :/