Blackberry Z10 Unboxing ** Need Your Feedback **

LinusTech

Our Blackberry Z10 unboxing was done with a slightly different style than usual. I need the community's feedback to know if this is the right direction. Here are some of the questions I asked in the YouTube comments, but I will be monitoring this thread as well:

1. Thumbnail. Normally I just pick one based on the YouTube default options. Did you click because of the more "pro" thumbnail?

2. Macro footage. Did you like it? Hate it? Neutral about it?

3. Long, drawn-out, rambling style of the A-roll footage. Should I keep this (classic Linus) or switch to tighter cuts with a more focus?

Trying to refine our style over the next little while. It's competitive out there.....

Everything about the video was great.

I like this format that's why i started watching you in the first place. I also like the little close ups of the details you started doing.

1.Thumbnails like that are too mainstream. but its all right (for me)

2.like it

3.classic linus

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3600+ | Asus M2N68-AM SE2 | 3gb ddr2 | Orion 600w | Sapphire HD5570

Classic linus is good I think.

Did not notice the thumbnail. 

Loved the macro footage. 

Enjoy your rambling style classic Linus... 

Show the xperia Z some more love.. ;)

1. I watch more of the videos with humourous thumbnails (e.g. Deathadder 2013 unboxing and Moxie shower head) however, for a more serious, longer video such as this one, a"pro" thumbnail is more fitting.

2. Macro footage is great! Very professional style and clearly points out various features of a device.

3. I'm not too sure about this one Linus. I like the informative style of the video but I think your should split this video into 2 videos. 1 just focussed on the unboxing and 1 going more in depth about all the features.

Overall, great job and there is noticeable improvement of quality and professionalism in your videos, keep it up!

The close ups/pro close ups and information screens over what you are saying really adds to the video. I loved the old style but I also love this new style! Keep up the hard work Linus! Always happy with your content. 

1. Picked the video because its a video from you. But the Z10 and the box on a surface might be better since that's what the video is about. (How come the S4 is upside down also?)

2. The macro footage is so much nicer when showing off small features instead of the camera zooming in focusing than zooming out and focusing again.

3. The one roll continuous shot is better shows more off in a more casual fashion. You could have a different roll if you wanted after the macro shot but audio would than have to be sync smooth and not a pause and a jump, keep talking as if you already were and not start off as if you just started a new take would be nice.

Haven't seen a Z10 video shown before so this was nice for an unboxing seemed to know the basic's and the functions of standard things to know. Maybe for your notes that you have put them behind the camera on a stand so you don't look off screen to the left/right.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

1. I clicked because it was in my subscription box. It doesn't bother me what the thumbnail is, as long as the video content is great (which it almost always is)

2. Neutral about it. To be honest I barely noticed it.

3. Keep the Classic Linus style. No point trying to be exactly like everyone else out there.

1. The thumbnail is good, maybe flip the S4 for consistency.

2. The macro footage was average, the constant changing of the zoom annoyed me, but it was good to get a closeup.

3. Personally I prefer tighter footage.

also, i don't think that comparisons should be made during an unboxing if the product is about to be subjected to a 30day switch.

I really like the icon but I tend not to pay attetion to them when I am looking for some thing specific like a hardware review, macro footage was great and it would seem less professional to me with out it, I like your "ramblings" but perhaps a TLDR sort of quick summery at the beginning for those with less time on their hands?

Less of the rambling at a camera, it was more boring than the 'off-the-cuff' Linus that we've all fallen in love with.

The macro footage is incredible because it allows us to see what you're talking about, without the main camera having to change position and fumble around trying to show it.

Thumbnails are better! Maybe do something like what NewEgg TV have? Like this:

mqdefault.jpg

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

I'll just repost what I wrote on youtube here.

1. The thumbnail looks good and will probably get more clicks, from a person that does not know and like the classic Linus thumbnail.

2. The macro footage was nice; it seemed a bit more professional and gave the video a cleaner feel.

3. I personally like the long rambling style, if people want a quick overview of the product this is probably not the video for them, but i think that people who value your thoughts and opinions like the classic Linus style more.

1. thumbnail?? didnt even notice it

2. maco footage... meeh its ok...

3." Long, drawn-out, rambling style of the A-roll footage. Should I keep this (classic Linus)"... its what makes linustechtips what it is!!! keep it!!

PC SPECIFICATIONS: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor  3.70 GHz ; MSI B550G Edge Wi-Fi ATX ; 16gb (2x8gb)  Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3600 RGB ; MSI GeForce RTX 3060 3x12gb ;  darkFlash Phantom with Custom Phanteks D-RGB 120 (6EA) ; Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition ; 1tb M.2 Kingston , 2tb Seagate Barricuda, 4 TB Seagate ; Corsair Gaming Series GS700W

PERIPHERALS:Razer BlackWidow V3 ;  Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro ;  Razer Leviathan V2 X

TABLET: Ipad 12.9 Pro  PHONE: Iphone 12

1. It's very nice looking and gives the view the impression there will be some cross talk about other devices and how it compares at a first glance. Personally would've rather an iOS device in the lineup as that's more relevant then two Androids. 
2. It was very well done, all closeups and glamour shots were relevant to what was being said and as long as kept to about this level its good, much more and it'd be annoying the cuts, but its at a level I really enjoy. Really loved the popping the back cover off style glamour shot.
3. Personally the rambling is what makes you the best unboxer and general tech, gaming, toy, electronics and desk reviewer out there. It brings a sense of character to the topic, making it more like what this device is to a consumer vs what its like to a professional reviewer. As a consumer I find this is more relatable to what I'll experience with a product

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

1) Thumbnails don't matter to me too much, as I just watch any new video of yours anyway, but seeing a good thumbnail going into a video by someone I have never watched before shows me that it might be of good quality.

2) I like it. Simple.

3) One of the big reasons I watch your videos Linus, is because of you. I love seeing the times when you forget something and cut (or just keep going and figure it out :) ) I love when slick is trying to tell you something from behind the camera and you just let him say it because you can't figure what he is saying out. Things like this that just make you seem like a normal person who has a talent for doing these videos but also makes mistakes from time to time. This is why you are my favourite tech channel I sub too, not because you can unbox new products. 

Great feedbakc so far. I will be paying very close attention to this thread over the next couple of days.

1 - Thumbnails can be a nice way to navigate and quickly get an idea of what's featured in the video. I must say, I watched the video because it was in this thread, but if I had checked YouTube first, I would have thought it was a Techquickie video and/or a comparative test between HTC One, SGS4 and the BBz10

2 - Macro footage might be a little artsy, but it gives a more professional feeling to the video. It was a little shaky though

3 - Classic Linus is best! And drop more bombs on slick in the future :-p

ok well i just watched the video all around the video was great but hen your reviewing you kinda have to be un byeast < typo . to me it sounded like it you were trying to compare both blackberry and android and that is not what the video was supposed to be it was supposed to be a unboxing . 

PS i do love you videos maybe do some videos on comparing blackberry, android, windows phone etc...  

Thumbnails - Sure why not, they may not attract the diehard fans of Linustechtips but new users will see them and get drawn in.  So might aswell? There is nothing bad about them.

Macrofootage - Maybe not macrofootage of the box itself maybe macro the actual product and accessories?

Longstyle - Combination of two is always good, just remember classic Linus is what brought us all here...

Here's my feedback (don't take it in a negative way):

- Pointing ports twice for example (macro AND the "old way") is repetitive.

- I'd do a close-up when you talk about the screen resolution with 2 arrows for X and Y and the DPI.

- Still when you enumerate all the specs I'll do a macro shot with movement and all the specs written next to the product.

- The "new thumbnail" is less related to LinusTechTips, I mean it's too generic there is no logo or even you face.

Hope it helps! :)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 --- CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B --- MB: Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 --- RAM: G Skill F3-12800CL9 4x2GB --- GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 O/C --- HDD: 2x Samsung HD103SJ 1TB --- Power supply: Corsair AX850 --- Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi --- Fans: 6x BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 140mm --- Display: HP 2310 --- Soundcard: Creative Audigy SE --- NAS: DS213 with 2x 3TB WD RED (Backup: 1x DS112 with 1x WD Green 3TB linked with 1x DX213) --- Laptop: Samsung Serie 7 NP700Z5A

Hey there,

1. I really do not look at Thumbnail with a lot of interest. The content is more important. Funny ones are nice from time to time.

2. The macro was OK. I liked it but and it's wellcomed where it is good.

3. Keep with the clasics.

PS:

4. Add Slick's surprised face when he herd about the S3 going bye bye 

1. I don't normally pay much attention to thumbnails unless they're particularly funny / interesting (Deathadder 2013 for example).

2. Macro shots, made it feel a bit more professional. if it were to be a more permanent option would prefer it to be more stable

3. I definitely prefer classic Linus with the rambling.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

1) Neutral on thumbnail picture.  Can be anything.  Whatever is easiest for you guys to do your thing.
2) Love how you guys incorporated the macro shots.  The way you guys seamlessly cut the shots into the classic Linus ramblings here is in really good taste.  Smooth, silky even.  Could get away with more macro shots from various angles and maybe overlay some dimensions onto the product to go along with your patented iPhone size comparison.
3) Hands down, without a doubt classic Linus.  Its what drawn me in as a viewer in the first place for your unboxings and first looks.  You just seem much more natural and a bit more easier to connect with in classic Linus mode.  Kind of like the friendly neighborhood drug dealer showing you the good sh*t.

God, I need to move out from this neighborhood.