A gaming laptop is good for music too? - Asus annouces G14 Alan Walker edition

williamcll

ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced a new collaboration with acclaimed DJ and music producer Alan Walker to create gaming content, tech and other experiences that will help elevate and bring gaming to a wider audience. Over the years, the gaming audience has expanded to include not only esports athletes and enthusiasts, but also a diverse audience of creators. ASUS ROG is committed to staying at the forefront of gaming technology by innovating products that empower these next-gen gamers in fulfilling their creative vision. As a self-made entrepreneur, gamer and music producer, Alan Walker stood out as a quintessential creator with valuable insights into what the next generation needs. His background, skills, and interest in gaming make him an ideal partner for ROG.

“I can’t wait to begin this journey with Republic of Gamers. Since the beginning of my career, I’ve wanted to combine and merge the worlds of music, tech and gaming in everything I do. And this is a great opportunity to continue that mission. A big thanks to everyone at ROG for giving me this opportunity!” said Alan Walker. Together, ASUS ROG and Alan Walker are exploring more ways to enhance the lives of content creators and gamers everywhere, starting with Walker himself. To kick off the collaboration, ROG sought to produce a laptop tailored to Walker’s needs as a gamer, creator, and musician. For that, one device stood out above the rest: the ROG Zephyrus G14.

untitled-3.thumb.jpg.80b7905d8dc2b649cdcbb4a6725b52b7.jpg

Here's a full review but you may need translation: https://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=233&t=6130818

mobile01-df4c610241b873b809f422aa36f4248

Source: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-rog-announces-collaboration-with-dj-alan-walker.html

Thoughts: Now this looks pretty cool, but I have no use for extra aesthetics, only function. I will also update some stuff about RoG's new mascot in another post. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

The vanilla looks better.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Am I the only one who hates the name ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

i don't know how i feel about having someone else's name plastered on my laptop permanently, something like that is best left for stickers

and a side note: i absolutely hate the "ergolift" hinges that are popping up on a lot of laptops these days

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

42 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i don't know how i feel about having someone else's name plastered on my laptop permanently, something like that is best left for stickers

and a side note: i absolutely hate the "ergolift" hinges that are popping up on a lot of laptops these days

Why? The hinge design is probably the best thing OEMs have done since IPS displays as standard

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Why? The hinge design is probably the best thing OEMs have done since IPS displays as standard

few reasons

1. aesthetics 
  2. using it as a "lap"top becomes much more cumbersome and less stable
  3. this is more speculation at this point since i've never used one for a long period of time where this would be an issue, but when i use my laptop, my palms are on the palm rest 100% of the time so there is a constant weight on the hinges which i dont think would be good for them in the long run.
  4. i dont actually find the lift to be ergonomic for me, i use a low profile keyboard on my desktop without a wrist rest so the tilt in these laptops plus needing to use an angled wrist rest just feels unnatural to me.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Think they used his full name enough times?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

32 minutes ago, Arika S said:

few reasons

1. aesthetics 
  2. using it as a "lap"top becomes much more cumbersome and less stable
  3. this is more speculation at this point since i've never used one for a long period of time where this would be an issue, but when i use my laptop, my palms are on the palm rest 100% of the time so there is a constant weight on the hinges which i dont think would be good for them in the long run.
  4. i dont actually find the lift to be ergonomic for me, i use a low profile keyboard on my desktop without a wrist rest so the tilt in these laptops plus needing to use an angled wrist rest just feels unnatural to me.

1 - reasonable

2 - id say depends on the person. For me it's fine.

3 - it's usually a non issue unless you put your body weight and use the laptop as a yoga mat.

4 - reasonable but I'd argue the cooling improvement is worth the slight hassle.

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

1 - reasonable

2 - id say depends on the person. For me it's fine.

3 - it's usually a non issue unless you put your body weight and use the laptop as a yoga mat.

4 - reasonable but I'd argue the cooling improvement is worth the slight hassle.

Also it's a much nicer angle to type on.

But my X260's 72Wh battery works just as well (if not better) than a fancy hinge, so I dunno.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What's so special about this laptop?

i guess better display and speakers

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Any person that does real work will probably use dedicated speakers and colour-calibrated displays if they actually work professionally in that area. To me, this device is like the Galaxy S20* BTS Edition that just has a software theme and is coloured purple.

like they said if you are traveling you might not have access to those 

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Oh its just a G14 with someones name on it.

I misread and thought it had some special feature that makes it better for music listening or poduction

Yeah this colab is nothing more than putting a name in the case.

They should tune something out, like adding a usb dac in the package (if getting a better soundcard is impossible).

Or bundling it with a DJ / Producer quality heaphones. A heaphones that the artist personally would wear.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Think they used his full name enough times?

No. Need some wallpapers, peripherals and maybe even a boot logo to rub it in.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III