When I install AMD GPU drivers the screen goes black.

Skyblueborb
Go to solution Solved by Skyblueborb,
15 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Hmm...did you try putting the GPU in a different slot?

Also:

Continuing to sound like a GPU problem since a clean install did nothing.

THE DIFFRENT SLOT WORKED IT F***ING WORKED THANK YOU GUYS I AM SO HAPPY

btw i bought this card damaged like it doesnt install drivers and all and i though i could fix it and i did it was like 1/3 the price of a normal working one almost 2 days WORTH of doing and researching ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU @TofuHaroto @Windows7ge FOR ALL YOUR HELP I WORKED THAT DIFFREWNT SLOT WORKJSAEEDCSD d

15 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:

also i searched the log file and it said that it couldnt find the ativvaxy_fj.dat file to copy when i looked in the driver there was no such thing as ativvaxy_fj.dat now i am looking at the newer drivers like the adrenalin versions(earlier i tried installing the catalyst version) and there it is. Should i try to put it in the catalyst driver folder? Maybe it will help. Idk. 

image.png

is this a good or bad idea? and apart of changing the pcie slot what should i do?

12 hours ago, Skyblueborb said:

is this a good or bad idea? and apart of changing the pcie slot what should i do?

I just cleaned it and disassembled it and took a picture maybe something has some signs of being broken

IMG_20200703_082426.jpg

IMG_20200703_082430.jpg

IMG_20200703_082435.jpg

15 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Hmm...did you try putting the GPU in a different slot?

Also:

Continuing to sound like a GPU problem since a clean install did nothing.

THE DIFFRENT SLOT WORKED IT F***ING WORKED THANK YOU GUYS I AM SO HAPPY

btw i bought this card damaged like it doesnt install drivers and all and i though i could fix it and i did it was like 1/3 the price of a normal working one almost 2 days WORTH of doing and researching ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU @TofuHaroto @Windows7ge FOR ALL YOUR HELP I WORKED THAT DIFFREWNT SLOT WORKJSAEEDCSD d

Just now, Skyblueborb said:

@TofuHaroto @Windows7ge FOR ALL YOUR HELP I WORKED THAT DIFFREWNT SLOT WORKJSAEEDCSD

Well that was hard 

Glad it's working now. 

Well @Windows7ge did most of the work 

But have fun with the card ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Well that was hard 

Glad it's working now. 

I AM GOING TO GAME ALL DAY NOW YOU ALL DID HELP THANK YOUUUUU

23 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

do not bake a card 

it does not help and will eventually probably kill the card.

Worked for me many times. But that's my experience with it 😁😄

It melts solder joints and reconnects them.  They get brittle and crack over time due to heating/cooling. 

180c 12 mins in oven on pure pcba. Them out and let it cool. 

Note : don't use an oven you cool food in as there may come toxic fumes from the card which then MAY transfer to your food. 

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Nice you got it working OP. ! Case closed. 

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

4 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Well that was hard 

Glad it's working now. 

Well, he's not out of the woods yet. We've identified a slot problem on the motherboard but if be bought the card with the seller knowing it has driver problems he might put the GPU under load and have it instantly crash.

Further testing is required, but it's good to see progress has been made.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, Windows7ge said:

Well, he's not out of the woods yet. We've identified a slot problem on the motherboard but if be bought the card with the seller knowing it has driver problems he might put the GPU under load and have it instantly crash.

Further testing is required, but it's good to see progress has been made.

its wierd because my old gpu ran fine and idk why its with this gpu but stress testing it worked so no problems with it gaming also worked

1 minute ago, Skyblueborb said:

its wierd because my old gpu ran fine and idk why its with this gpu but stress testing it worked so no problems with it gaming also worked

That's good to hear. Let us know if you need help with anything else.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, Windows7ge said:

That's good to hear. Let us know if you need help with anything else.

Ok something is happening it's not all clear the same thing started happening with the second slot like at the bios it was showing the pixels and all maybe I will try cleaning the pcie slots

Ok something is happening it's not all clear the same thing started happening with the second slot like at the bios it was showing the pixels and all maybe I will try cleaning the pcie slots

@TofuHaroto @Windows7ge

it was showing the pixels and all maybe I will try cleaning the pcie slots

picture if possible ? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

On 7/2/2020 at 7:26 PM, Skyblueborb said:

OK i have something pretty importatant. I got my first bluescreen i just caught only one photo just in time.

Also in the bios the letters have like extra pixels to them. Installing on the new windows did nothing just when i switched to the main windows install i got the blue screen. @TofuHaroto @Windows7ge

IMG_20200702_191904[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_190959[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111548[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111544[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111541[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111533[1].jpg

The same as here exactly

10 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:
16 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:

Cleaning it didn't do anything

I've not followed the topic, but whats with the "loose pixels", sometimes red, sometimes other color? Random places? Then GPU problem still.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

I've not followed the topic, but whats with the "loose pixels", sometimes red, sometimes other color? Random places? Then GPU problem still.

It's always in the same places near the text of the bios and depending on the color of the background/text it adapts to the color ex. Red pixels on black and white text, yellow pixels on yellow Tex and blue background

4 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:

It's always in the same places near the text of the bios and depending on the color of the background/text it adapts to the color ex. Red pixels on black and white text, yellow pixels on yellow Tex and blue background

Ok so I am just gonna leave it over night and maybe it will fix itself maybe bc I did literally nothing to break it just launched a game I had been playing earlier on this card I thought it was clear to assume that I fixed it

3 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:

Ok so I am just gonna leave it over night and maybe it will fix itself maybe bc I did literally nothing to break it just launched a game I had been playing earlier on this card I thought it was clear to assume that I fixed it

Maybe I will leave it off tomorrow also

Let's see. This is the system where you bought a used GPU with known driver issues?.

Do you have any known good GPU? From here swapping out hardware seems like a good next course of action.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Let's see. This is the system where you bought a used GPU with known driver issues?.

Do you have any known good GPU? From here swapping out hardware seems like a good next course of action.

I have a good GPU that I had been using for a long while. Also thats how I figured out that the second slot worked I put my old GPU in the first slot and in the second one the new one and in device manager the new GPU appeared

I have a good GPU that I had been using for a long while. Also thats how I figured out that the second slot worked I put my old GPU in the first slot and in the second one the new one and in device manager the new GPU appeared

If you remove the suspect GPU and just run the old one for a while does the problem persist or go away?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If you remove the suspect GPU and just run the old one for a while does the problem persist or go away?

I have tried it before and it works as if I didn't even change anything

I have tried it before and it works as if I didn't even change anything

That brings our focus to the "new" GPU. To be quite frank if it requires component level repair I wouldn't even know where to start.