When I install AMD GPU drivers the screen goes black.

Skyblueborb
Go to solution Solved by Skyblueborb,
15 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Hmm...did you try putting the GPU in a different slot?

Also:

Continuing to sound like a GPU problem since a clean install did nothing.

THE DIFFRENT SLOT WORKED IT F***ING WORKED THANK YOU GUYS I AM SO HAPPY

btw i bought this card damaged like it doesnt install drivers and all and i though i could fix it and i did it was like 1/3 the price of a normal working one almost 2 days WORTH of doing and researching ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU @TofuHaroto @Windows7ge FOR ALL YOUR HELP I WORKED THAT DIFFREWNT SLOT WORKJSAEEDCSD d

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

they are 

and technically it will work ( it uses the same chipset )

as i said if you can't find the exact model just flash it with this one 

ok but there are two versions one the vtx3d and one vertex3d which one should i use they are the same brand and all 

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/129617/129617 i am thinking this one bc it looks exactly like my card

Just now, Skyblueborb said:

vertex3d

iirc you said the vertex 3d 

then then one. 

looks like it and the power color have the same bios 

so both wont hurt 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

iirc you said the vertex 3d 

then then one. 

looks like it and the power color have the same bios 

so both wont hurt 

ok i once read through like a guide to flashing a vbios. you most probobaly have to make a dos stick an all right?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Is this a old or fresh windows install? What build?

windows 10 just updated to the newest version thinking it might help. And how can i tell the build number?

1 minute ago, Skyblueborb said:

you most probobaly have to make a dos stick an all right?

Gamer Nexus made a video about flashing a card.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Gamer Nexus made a video about flashing a card.

Thanks for the link tommorow i will do it i dont want to do it all night. Btw thank you for ur help really man thanks

Btw thank you for ur help really man thanks

no problem 

good luck :D

Build Log: 

windows 10 just updated to the newest version thinking it might help. And how can i tell the build number?

Go to start,

Type "cmd" (no quotes)

Hit Enter.

Now type "winver" (no quotes)

This will bring up a pop-up menu with Windows version information including the build.

I'm just wondering if it could be a software conflict caused by an old install. Sometimes a fresh install can fix issues like this if you have a spare HDD/SSD you could test the theory with. Otherwise I'm starting to suspect your GPU has gone defective.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Go to start,

Type "cmd" (no quotes)

Hit Enter.

Now type "winver" (no quotes)

This will bring up a pop-up menu with Windows version information including the build.

I'm just wondering if it could be a software conflict caused by an old install. Sometimes a fresh install can fix issues like this if you have a spare HDD/SSD you could test the theory with. Otherwise I'm starting to suspect your GPU has gone defective.

yeah i was thinking of doing it i already had a windows 10 iso so tommorow i will try it before the flash

image.png.cce14a2c69e03f28f48a37792281b7e8.png

12 hours ago, Skyblueborb said:

yeah i was thinking of doing it i already had a windows 10 iso so tommorow i will try it before the flash

image.png.cce14a2c69e03f28f48a37792281b7e8.png

ok so i tried Pop OS and Ubuntu (which i thought would work bc of the drivers) and it was a black screen the same when i apply the drivers on windows 10. I think i am doing the flash without the new windows install.

4 hours ago, Skyblueborb said:

ok so i tried Pop OS and Ubuntu (which i thought would work bc of the drivers) and it was a black screen the same when i apply the drivers on windows 10. I think i am doing the flash without the new windows install.

Ok so the vbios flash did not happen bc it said that vbios version is already flashed so I could do anything so it is t the mining vbios so I am installing a new windows 10 version on my game HDD

43 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:

Ok so the vbios flash did not happen bc it said that vbios version is already flashed so I could do anything so it is t the mining vbios so I am installing a new windows 10 version on my game HDD

maybe this file can help if you search "cannot" it mentions like "ativvaxy_FJ.dat" from the driver that isnt in there

setupapi.dev.log

I had this problem with a used gigabyte cars I bought. I baked it. It disappeared xD. Card works fine in 2D mode, so in safe mode in windows. As soon as you install the drivers and go 3D mode, it does cause it's not working. 

Still using the very same card now 5 years later. 

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

5 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

I had this problem with a used gigabyte cars I bought. I baked it. It disappeared xD. Card works fine in 2D mode, so in safe mode in windows. As soon as you install the drivers and go 3D mode, it does cause it's not working. 

Still using the very same card now 5 years later. 

What do you mean you baked it? Did you ever fix it?

8 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:

What do you mean you baked it? Did you ever fix it?

do not bake a card 

it does not help and will eventually probably kill the card.

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

do not bake a card 

it does not help and will eventually probably kill the card.

so i am going to install windows on another drive now

4 hours ago, Skyblueborb said:

so i am going to install windows on another drive now

OK i have something pretty importatant. I got my first bluescreen i just caught only one photo just in time.

Also in the bios the letters have like extra pixels to them. Installing on the new windows did nothing just when i switched to the main windows install i got the blue screen. @TofuHaroto @Windows7ge

IMG_20200702_191904[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_190959[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111548[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111544[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111541[1].jpg

IMG_20200702_111533[1].jpg

3 minutes ago, Skyblueborb said:

OK i have something pretty importatant

Those dead looking pixels could indicate bad vram.

Build Log: 

Also:

The VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

it is weird because in windows there are no dead looking pixels but idk

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Also:

i actually didnt try to put it in the second slot

also i searched the log file and it said that it couldnt find the ativvaxy_fj.dat file to copy when i looked in the driver there was no such thing as ativvaxy_fj.dat now i am looking at the newer drivers like the adrenalin versions(earlier i tried installing the catalyst version) and there it is. Should i try to put it in the catalyst driver folder? Maybe it will help. Idk. 

image.png

12 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

can you tell if vram is bad by looking at it from the outside. I haven't taken apart this gpu yet.

can you tell if vram is bad by looking at it from the outside

No not really.

Build Log: