Twitch Temporarily Bans United States President Donald Trump

d-kressjr
Message added by LogicalDrm

REMINDER! Any discussion about politics, including but not limited to parties, ideology, candidates, who is better etc. is still prohibited. Any such discussion will be removed and thread might be locked.

Originally was going to post in tech news section, but I realized this was not explicit tech news. This is why it is formatted like a tech news topic. (Mods, if you think it does qualify as tech news, plz move it there)

Summary

In its second high profile ban on the platform, Twitch has temporarily banned the United States President Donald Trump's account this morning, citing his account was banned for "hateful content." This is the second high profile account to receive a punishment from Twitch, following up on the recent permanent ban of high profile streaming Dr Disrespect's channel. Right now, it is unclear how long the temporary ban will be in effect.

Quotes

Twitch has temporarily banned President Donald Trump, in the latest surprise and high-profile suspension from the streaming service. Trump’s account was banned for “hateful conduct” that was aired on stream, and Twitch says the offending content has been removed.

One of the streams in question was a rebroadcast of Trump’s infamous kickoff rally, where he said that Mexico was sending rapists to the United States. Twitch also flagged comments at Trump’s recent rally in Tulsa. 

- The Verge

Like anyone else, politicians on Twitch must adhere to our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines. We do not make exceptions for political or newsworthy content, and will take action on content reported to us that violates our rules. ” a Twitch spokesperson told The Verge.

- An unnamed twitch spokesperson to The Verge

My thoughts

Last week, Twitch said it was going to start seriously cracking down on harassment, misconduct, and general violations of their community guidelines after numerous reports of harassment on the platform started surfacing. Another big takeaway is that Twitch is the first big social media platform to issue a punishment to United States President Donald Trump. Other social media platforms, Twitter for example, have flagged some of the President's content in the past and have also stated that they would ban his account if it comes to it. Twitch is the first platform to do such.

This is a very new report. Please let me know of any updates and or inaccuracies so I can update the topic!

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/29/21307145/twitch-donald-trump-ban-campaign-account

Moderators, please lock this if you think the discussion could get out of hand. I think this topic is within our community guidelines, as long as the discussion remains appropriate, but please lock it and let me know if one of you disagree.

I think @SansVarnic and his ban hammer got a job offer from twitch we haven't been told about.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, d-kressjr said:

Originally was going to post in tech news section, but I realized this was not explicit tech news. However, th

Summary

In its second high profile ban on the platform, Twitch has temporarily banned the United States President Donald Trump's account this morning, citing his account was banned for "hateful content." This is the second high profile account to receive a punishment from Twitch, following up on the recent permanent ban of high profile streaming Dr Disrespect's channel. Right now, it is unclear how long the temporary ban will be in effect.

Twitch is owned by Amazon. Trump has been attacking WaPo/Bezos for political points, so Twitch doesn't need to let him stay on the platform. Others get banned for less.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Twitch is owned by Amazon. Trump has been attacking WaPo/Bezos for political points, so Twitch doesn't need to let him stay on the platform. Others get banned for less.

I'm confused. Twitch stated, as I quoted, he was temp banned for hateful comments. Are you suggesting he was banned not because of this? What significance does Twitch being owned by Amazon make? I think that's a stretch.

5 minutes ago, d-kressjr said:

I'm confused. Twitch stated, as I quoted, he was temp banned for hateful comments. Are you suggesting he was banned not because of this? What significance does Twitch being owned by Amazon make? I think that's a stretch.

I think it was made easier and they were waiting to see if other platforms (eg twitter, facebook, youtube) would act first. No tech company wants to be the first one to censor something in case it causes their user base to revolt.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I think it was made easier and they were waiting to see if other platforms (eg twitter, facebook, youtube) would act first. No tech company wants to be the first one to censor something in case it causes their user base to revolt.

I agree with that.

the last thing we need rn is trump playing fortnite on stream to try to get young voters. i think twitch should set up a system to autoban the account if it switches topic to fortnite

Definitely not run by Trump himself, probably a member of his re-election committee trying to  appeal to a younger audience by advertising through a medium a lot of younger people use 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Didn't even know the Trump Campaign had a Twitch account, the more you know. Ah lol.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I followed him on twitch, hoping that he might play some GTA, but I guess that is never going to happen now.

Well I don't think the president of the United States is worried.  Since ultimately he, congress and the justices of the USSC are the moderators of the platform we all run on.  Namely the US constitution and laws.   The last thing companies like that want is to be considered "publishers" and held liable for their content under US law.   So they will only ever enforce rules.