what os should i use for an old laptop

Jasonbas

i have an old toshiba satelite l500d (4gb ram ddr2 / amd athlon 2ghz

). for school , typing and web. what os should  i use to make it a litle faster(i mean  a lighter os)

Linux 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably try somet linux distro like lubuntu.

Get a ssd in it aswell, makes a massive performance difference

Agree, ssd is cheap and makes a HUGE difference. Would recommend Ubuntu personally as it's well documented and easier to search if things go wrong or whatever.

Pretty much any linux distro is good though as they're much lighter footprint than windows, and for your usage case it's pretty basic.

https://distrowatch.com/

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably try somet linux distro like lubuntu.

Get a ssd in it aswell, makes a massive performance difference

thanks i cannot put an ssd becouse i am sure it has one already

It shipped with Vista, so if you're dead-set on Windows, 7 would be a better bet than 10.

If you want a Windows-y look and feel without the bloat, Mint XFCE. If you want something different, Elementary. If you hate your life and want to spend a week hunting down obscure drivers for an ancient OEM laptop in hopes of it running smoothly when you're done, Arch. If you just need it to browse the web, play YouTube and handle email, Cloudready's ChromeOS. My personal choice would be, as it almost always is these days, Mint XFCE.

Whatever you do, spend $20-30 on a 128-256GB SSD. You'll thank me (and @Electronics Wizardy and @paddy-stone) later. Move the files you want to keep onto a USB drive, then pull out the HDD, plug in the SSD, install your new OS of choice and enjoy.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

11 minutes ago, Ubuntu is love said:

You can try Arch Linux, if it will run else you can try pop!_OS. They seem to be popular right now. 😊

Pop is certainly not the lightest distro, and I have a feeling that someone new to Linux doesn't want to install Arch, lol.

That being said, Linux certainly is the way to go, as is an SSD upgrade.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Pop is certainly not the lightest distro

Pop!_OS runs on 32bit and 2GB of memory, it's ofc not the lightest, but if he want to learn some Linux, its not a bad start. You could always install a server version of an popular Linux distro, that's the most lightweight. But then it's going to be a hard learning curve. pop!_OS is a simple start.

1 minute ago, Ubuntu is love said:

Pop!_OS runs on 32bit and 2GB of memory, it's ofc not the lightest, but if he want to learn some Linux, its not a bad start. You could always install a server version of an popular Linux distro, that's the most lightweight. But then it's going to be a hard learning curve. pop!_OS is a simple start.

sorry if i didnt specify i am not like 60yo i am 15 and i learn easyly so the learning curve is not a problem 

1 minute ago, Jasonbas said:

sorry if i didnt specify i am not like 60yo i am 15 and i learn easyly so the learning curve is not a problem 

I'm sorry, then it's good to start with CLI only. In enterprise they don't use GUI's anyway.

Just now, Ubuntu is love said:

I'm sorry, then it's good to start with CLI only. In enterprise they don't use GUI's anyway.

what is an cli and an gui sorry if i am being stupid

Just now, Jasonbas said:

what is an cli and an gui sorry if i am being stupid

If you have only a CLI, you don't have nice pictures and colors on your screen........ or a mouse for that matter.

Just now, Ubuntu is love said:

If you have only a CLI, you don't have nice pictures and colors on your screen........ or a mouse for that matter.

ok

1 hour ago, Jasonbas said:

i have an old toshiba satelite l500d (4gb ram ddr2 / amd athlon 2ghz

). for school , typing and web. what os should  i use to make it a litle faster(i mean  a lighter os)

Linux mint

BOLD not ITALIC

1 hour ago, Ubuntu is love said:

Mint is a better choice if he wants an easy to use and lightweight distro. I also have a feeling OP is going to use this as his main device, and I highly doubt CLI would suffice for him. He could always learn to use something like i3 instead of an actual DE, but that's all up to him.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Mint is a better choice if he wants an easy to use and lightweight distro. I also have a feeling OP is going to use this as his main device, and I highly doubt CLI would suffice for him. He could always learn to use something like i3 instead of an actual DE, but that's all up to him.

no i am not using it as a main device

1 minute ago, Jasonbas said:

no i am not using it as a main device

What are you using it as? 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What are you using it as? 

i am using it as a secondary portable device so i can type on the go

Manjaro runs very well on my i7 620m with 2gb of RAM

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 minutes ago, Jasonbas said:

i am using it as a secondary portable device so i can type on the go

Then you want a GUI.

I love Manjaro but it might be a bit too heavy depending on the DE you choose, hence why I suggested Mint or Lubuntu. Try those.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

ok i ve made up my mind i am going to install mint linux 

24 minutes ago, Jasonbas said:

ok i ve made up my mind i am going to install mint linux 

A good choice I use mint too it’s very easy to use but lubuntu or manjaro are also good 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I would recommend Manjaro KDE or Manjaro XFCE.

KDE isn't as heavy as it used to be and will run on fairly old hardware, The environment is fairly similar to Windows 7 as well.

With 6 Firefox Tabs, spotify playing, and the window compositor enabled. I am sitting at 2GB of memory usage and 2% cpu usage, however this is on a Ryzen 3600.

Going with Manjaro, would also mean having access to one of the largest repositories and wiki's available in the Linux community as well as up to date software.