what os should i use for an old laptop

Jasonbas

I would also recommend Linux Mint. It has everything inside of it including LibreSoftware which is just like Microsoft Office!

But if you want more lighter, You should use lubuntu!

Any lightweight linux distro would be good for you. Upgrading the hard disk to SSD would help you a lot. But focusing on OS, you can use lubuntu, lxle or solus os. My preference is Solus OS as it has a pretty gui, apps can be easily download from the in-built store app, the only downside being since it is made from scratch you have to dig in for some of the non-common apps. Lubuntu could be good for you since it is stripped down version of ubuntu and ubuntu has a ton of guides for it. Hope it solves your problem

On 6/16/2020 at 12:41 AM, Nayr438 said:

I would recommend Manjaro KDE or Manjaro XFCE.

KDE isn't as heavy as it used to be and will run on fairly old hardware, The environment is fairly similar to Windows 7 as well.

With 6 Firefox Tabs, spotify playing, and the window compositor enabled. I am sitting at 2GB of memory usage and 2% cpu usage, however this is on a Ryzen 3600.

Going with Manjaro, would also mean having access to one of the largest repositories and wiki's available in the Linux community as well as up to date software.

manjaro XFCE 

its is just best

On 6/15/2020 at 10:24 AM, Jasonbas said:

i have an old toshiba satelite l500d (4gb ram ddr2 / amd athlon 2ghz

). for school , typing and web. what os should  i use to make it a litle faster(i mean  a lighter os)

Lubuntu is pretty cool

space for rent