How can i get accurate information about a CPU that isnt benchmarked?

Go to solution Solved by Brennan Price,

So the thing is... And this annoys me... Is that no-one here had first asked which PC you are using or had asked which socket motherboard you are using (Before they had given you the benchmarks that is)... There are various iterations of the 2011 socket and so not all of the CPU's are compatible. Based on the fact that you have said your computer is an HP Z420... This would be socket 2011 V2, therefore the maximum processors that this PC can handle are likely E5 Xeons. Having looked at the manual, this is what it states about your HP Z420 workstation: 

from the manual:

Intel

®

Series C602 chipset with:

Support for the Intel® Xeon™ Processor E5-1600 Series and E5-2600 Series,

including processors up to 150W

Integrated 4-channel memory controller

Microarchitecture improvements

Large L3 cache for superior performance

Intel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) connects processors and I/O controller with speeds

up to 8 GT/s

So with this information... You now know that you cannot put an E7 Xeon into your PC, which for some reason others have not yet mentioned. 

The PDF below also from HP's website states which processors will work fine in your computer. 

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/images/datasheet_z420.pdf 

EDIT: If you would be so kind as to mark this as solved. 

Hi.

I want to upgrade my pc, it has a 2011 socket, so that's what i'm searching for.

i found a CPU, the E7-2890 v2, and according to intel it's an LGA2011.

however it isn't benchmarked in any reliable benchmarking website (cpubenchmark.net and the like)

so how can i know if it is a good cpu or not?

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Hi.

I want to upgrade my pc, it has a 2011 socket, so that's what i'm searching for.

i found a CPU, the E7-2890 v2, and according to intel it's an LGA2011.

however it isn't benchmarked in any reliable benchmarking website (cpubenchmark.net and the like)

so how can i know if it is a good cpu or not?

That is a server cpu

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

3 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

https://www.passmark.com/forum/pc-hardware-and-benchmarks/40059-missing-xeon-e7-benchmarks-e7-2860-2870

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75242/intel-xeon-processor-e7-2890-v2-37-5m-cache-2-80-ghz.html

It's a 15 core 30 thread ivy bridge CPU.

So that means if you're doing work that needs lots of cores it will be decent but if you're gaming it won't be any better than an ivy bridge i7 running at low clock speeds.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can kinda extrapolate how the CPU performs if you know what your workloads respond to. 

Double check the E7 can be used in your intended system. I think they had different requirements than the more regular E5 line.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

37 minutes ago, Kanna said:

That is a server cpu

yes i'm fully aware of that

my pc is a z420 workstation, which is a server pc.

8 minutes ago, porina said:

You can kinda extrapolate how the CPU performs if you know what your workloads respond to. 

Double check the E7 can be used in your intended system. I think they had different requirements than the more regular E5 line.

what do you mean by "requirements"?

i thought it only needs to have the same socket

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

yes i'm fully aware of that

my pc is a z420 workstation, which is a server pc.

Wasn't easy to understand since you didn't specify

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75242/intel-xeon-processor-e7-2890-v2-37-5m-cache-2-80-ghz.html

It's a 15 core 30 thread ivy bridge CPU.

So that means if you're doing work that needs lots of cores it will be decent but if you're gaming it won't be any better than an ivy bridge i7 running at low clock speeds.

i kinda do both, but my current cpu is only 4 cores, so this will be a big step up anyway.

37 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

thanks, so although it only has 2 results, would it be safe to assume that

A the e7-2890 v2 is more powerful than the 2850

B that it would probably have a score of at least 13000?

C that this CPU will work in my motherboard

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Don't assume but check is what I'm saying. The E7 CPUs supported up to 4 way use, so they are a more different than the common E5 supporting two. Wouldn't want a situation where you have a mechanically compatible CPU but it doesn't work as the mobo doesn't support it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Don't assume but check is what I'm saying. The E7 CPUs supported up to 4 way use, so they are a more different than the common E5 supporting two. Wouldn't want a situation where you have a mechanically compatible CPU but it doesn't work as the mobo doesn't support it.

how can i check if its compatible?

7 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Wasn't easy to understand since you didn't specify

but it doesn't matter anyway :D

i was asking about the 2011 socket, so that's all you needed to know anyway

17 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

how can i check if its compatible?

Check your motherboard and/or system documentation.

50 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

You need a compatible socket, chipset and support in BIOS. See recent news about AMD CPUs where older MBs aren't going to support Zen 3 despite them still using AM4.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

50 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

but it doesn't matter anyway :D

i was asking about the 2011 socket, so that's all you needed to know anyway

Not really, I have a 2011 socket, but I don't think my motherboard supports 4-way server CPUs, my motherboard doesn't support EEC ram either, which is likely what you will want with a server CPU.

Asking about the motherboard, given the post above mine, was a legitimate question.

As to all we needed to know...well given that people are trying to help you for no benefit to them, perhaps being snarky towards them isn't the brightest idea, because I don't see why I should add any of my knowledge to your thread for you to be snarky to me because you didn't like the impertinence of my question.

So the thing is... And this annoys me... Is that no-one here had first asked which PC you are using or had asked which socket motherboard you are using (Before they had given you the benchmarks that is)... There are various iterations of the 2011 socket and so not all of the CPU's are compatible. Based on the fact that you have said your computer is an HP Z420... This would be socket 2011 V2, therefore the maximum processors that this PC can handle are likely E5 Xeons. Having looked at the manual, this is what it states about your HP Z420 workstation: 

from the manual:

Intel

®

Series C602 chipset with:

Support for the Intel® Xeon™ Processor E5-1600 Series and E5-2600 Series,

including processors up to 150W

Integrated 4-channel memory controller

Microarchitecture improvements

Large L3 cache for superior performance

Intel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) connects processors and I/O controller with speeds

up to 8 GT/s

So with this information... You now know that you cannot put an E7 Xeon into your PC, which for some reason others have not yet mentioned. 

The PDF below also from HP's website states which processors will work fine in your computer. 

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/images/datasheet_z420.pdf 

EDIT: If you would be so kind as to mark this as solved. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz