need some advice on a new cpu

I messed up and bought a pre-built gaming rig 2years ago ( i didn't know any better plz don't hate me)..any way I have a i7-7700 and I plan on replacing it, the ram and mobo. Basically I don't know if i should buy the new i7 10th gen or stay with a 9th gen i9 or i7.  Also this is a gaming rig, outside of occasional science fair project for the kids, so I want to stick with Intel. I recently upgraded the GPU ( 2070 super) and the power source ( 650w) if that matters on what i can use. Thanks in advance for any help you give 

What resolution are you gaming at? 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Just buy Ryzen. A $120 Ryzen cpu outpreforms the $300 i7

6 minutes ago, dboren said:

I messed up and bought a pre-built gaming rig 2years ago ( i didn't know any better plz don't hate me)..any way I have a i7-7700 and I plan on replacing it, the ram and mobo. Basically I don't know if i should buy the new i7 10th gen or stay with a 9th gen i9 or i7.  Also this is a gaming rig, outside of occasional science fair project for the kids, so I want to stick with Intel. I recently upgraded the GPU ( 2070 super) and the power source ( 650w) if that matters on what i can use. Thanks in advance for any help you give 

The core i7 10700k is basically a core i9 9900k but cheaper so I would go with 10th gen but you should wait as finding them right now at msrp is impossible. Also 10th gen has a rumored upgrade path so you might for once be able to upgrade on intel platform without changing your motherboard.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, AB44400 said:

Just buy Ryzen. A $120 Ryzen cpu outpreforms the $300 i7

The Ryzen 3 3300x beats the core i7 7700k. Cpus have improved quite a bit in 3 years.

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Gundar said:

The core i7 10700k is basically a core i9 9900k but cheaper so I would go with 10th gen but you should wait as finding them right now at msrp is impossible. Also 10th gen has a rumored upgrade path so you might for once be able to upgrade on intel platform without changing your motherboard.

The new 10th gen processors are fast but 1st are outpreformed by Ryzen's processors and second the heatup is very very immense. You would need some of the best coolers to make it functionally usable.

4 minutes ago, AB44400 said:

The new 10th gen processors are fast but 1st are outpreformed by Ryzen's processors and second the heatup is very very immense. You would need some of the best coolers to make it functionally usable.

They are outperformed by ryzen only in productivity in gaming intel is still king. You would know that the heat is very manageable on 10th gen if you watched any sorta video like buildzoids video about overclocking the 10900k.

AMD blackout rig

7 minutes ago, Gundar said:

They are outperformed by ryzen only in productivity in gaming intel is still king. You would know that the heat is very manageable on 10th gen if you watched any sorta video like buildzoids video about overclocking the 10900k.

Here are some stats in comparison

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 4.11.40 PM.png

1 minute ago, AB44400 said:

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 4.14.14 PM.png

What about it?

AMD blackout rig

The Ryzen 9 has a higher core count and better cache memory meanwhile being around the same price. (Don't look at the price in the chart google can't get it right)

most tech tubers are recommending AGAINST building a new system right now, because of the new launches from intel, as well as price fluctuations on the AMD side after the fact. 10th gen intel 10600k and 10900k are beasty chips, hitting fantastic gaming numbers, but they really are only marginally higher than the 9900k. and availability comes into play here as well. you CAN currently get a 9900k at a reasonable price, as well as an intel 390 series chipset motherboard for a decent price. the 9900k overclockes readily if you have the cooling, also. i really dont see any point in ponying up the money for the hard to find 10th gen chips and 490 boards just yet. i'd say, give it a few weeks, watch what the market does, watch for availability on 10th gen hardware. if that stuff stays sketchy, which it might, then spring for a 9th gen and a good 390 board. i mean, the margin in most games is under 10% difference between the 9th and 10th gen chips anyway, not really worth the 10th gen hassle at this point IMO.

2 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

What resolution are you gaming at? 

I'm gaming at 1080 right now but plan to start 1440 after i get done upgrading.

3 hours ago, Gundar said:

Do think an all-in-one 240mm cooler would be good enough or would i have to break out block coolers and stuff above my pay grade? I'll be really honest I did watch that video but most of what he was saying might as well have been a foreign language...sorry I'm not there yet with tech speech. But i did catch that a i7 10700k would be 20% easier to cool than an i9 10900k

40 minutes ago, dboren said:

I'm gaming at 1080 right now but plan to start 1440 after i get done upgrading.

I would try your setup at 1440p and see how it does. Doesn’t seem like a big difference at that res with cpus. 
If it’s not performing good then upgrade, if it’s doing fine then rock it til the wheels fall off 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, dboren said:

Do think an all-in-one 240mm cooler would be good enough or would i have to break out block coolers and stuff above my pay grade? I'll be really honest I did watch that video but most of what he was saying might as well have been a foreign language...sorry I'm not there yet with tech speech. But i did catch that a i7 10700k would be 20% easier to cool than an i9 10900k

I think you'll be fine he overcloked a 10900k to 5.2/1ghz and he was at 98c on a 280 with a 240 and a 10700k I think that you'll be fine and even if you overclock to those settings you'll only be at worst 85c. 

AMD blackout rig

3 hours ago, AB44400 said:

The Ryzen 9 has a higher core count and better cache memory meanwhile being around the same price. (Don't look at the price in the chart google can't get it right)

Higher core counts and cache aren't everything.

AMD blackout rig