Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast to End Traffic Jam

noname7931

Netflix Inc. has agreed to pay Comcast Corp. to ensure Netflix movies and TV shows stream smoothly to Comcast customers, a landmark agreement that could set a precedent for Netflix's dealings with other broadband providers, people familiar with the situation said.

In exchange for payment, Netflix will get direct access to Comcast's broadband network, the people said. The multiyear deal comes just 10 days after Comcast agreed to buy...

Link: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304834704579401071892041790

Uhm i don't have a login so i can't see the full article so yeah.

I think this shows that ISP overpower/dictate Netflix which isn't right.

Update1: new link that you don't need to login WSJ, here is another article link to Gizmodo

Update2: AT&T Speaking to Netflix as well (Reuters)

Not only is Comcast screwing over their customers, they are screwing over netflix too!

That's the finest source I've seen all day.

Oh wait...

google'd and the first thing to come up was the wall street journal.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304834704579401071892041790

EDIT:use this link to go to it.

WSJ

It's the hyperlink you get when you google the WSJ article,which for some reason lets you read it without a login.

@noname7931

replace the source link with this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Fnews%2Farticles%2FSB10001424052702304834704579401071892041790&ei=pjYKU5GoLoT1qAGUsIH4AQ&usg=AFQjCNGsYasjFjwHCXvoCDroIWbsVxyLxw&sig2=BK-sOSp-Om9qt8pMIIcnIg&bvm=bv.61725948,d.aWM

it lets you read the full article.

EDIT 2 :they blocked the google link from showing the full article too.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

That's the finest source I've seen all day.

Oh wait...

sorry I updated, it was the first time I used quotes so i was having difficulty 

Thank you @mvitkun for the link without the login

Comcast can go fuck it self for making netflix do this...

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

That might very well spell the end of competitive internet connections for the US for a long, long while. Sad really, your corrupt system that allows blatant bribes in the form of "think-tanks" and "lobbying"  just put you at a competitive disadvantage with the rest of the world: Expect more than a few tech companies to just move the fuck out to other countries with more interest in advancing as a nation providing basic telecom infrastructure and not defending the right for a few corporations and a few politicians to get rich while they fuck up the future of everybody.

-------

Current Rig

-------

whos next Verizon, for their BULL SHIT NETFLIX. i cant cope with this insanity.

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

That might very well spell the end of competitive internet connections for the US for a long, long while. Sad really, your corrupt system that allows blatant bribes in the form of "think-tanks" and "lobbying"  just put you at a competitive disadvantage with the rest of the world: Expect more than a few tech companies to just move the fuck out to other countries with more interest in advancing as a nation providing basic telecom infrastructure and not defending the right for a few corporations and a few politicians to get rich while they fuck up the future of everybody.

Google Fiber and some other Fiber ISP's moving in proves this wrong. There's a lot of ground to cover in America, it'll catch up eventually...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Pls change the colour to automatic.Black Theme users ;_;.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Google Fiber and some other Fiber ISP's moving in proves this wrong. There's a lot of ground to cover in America, it'll catch up eventually...

It sets precedent (along with the court decisions of late) to just block google fiber to DSL speeds for specific sites like Netflix. And catching up eventually is exactly my argument: there will be places in the word that won't require catching up and could offer the incentive of cheaper, more competitive infrastructure among other goverment sponsored breaks to make business more profitable.

You see this is already happening on areas like the entertainment industry: often movies can "bomb" badly in the US and still turn out healthy profits abroad. It's only a matter of time before companies decide "enough is enough" and in fact while we're at it, Netflix is kinda doing exactly that right now anyway: they are one of the first companies to start selling streaming services outside the US while the rest continue to bow down to the telecom and movie industry interests and region lock everything to US only.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Prepare your wallets.  The cost will arrive at the end-consumer.

and now netflix pricing will start skyrocketing. They should not have given in to the isp's. It just makes them think they can do anything they want.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Can I get some good news this week? I feel like my ass is getting sore from being fucked so much by these companies.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

Well lets see sir, we are screwing most everybody...o wait lets screw Netflix too! (If only comcast would get aids.)

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I can not wait until I move to Atlanta and get my grubby hands all over that google fiber internet... I mean, I have no complaints with Verizon FiOS, but let's be honest here. Google Fiber? Gigabit internet? Unprecedented download speeds to the America's.

EDIT: Almost forgot about the topic of this post... boo comcast

//ccap

They really have to get some laws updated.
In a lot of European countries it's illegal for the ISP to slow down your internet on purpose.
Also if they slow your internet down on specific websites then they are clearly monitoring you which should be illegal.

The people do a petition to get Justin Bieber out of the country but they don't do petition against ISP stealing bandwith that they've paid for :/ MURICA

RTX2070OC 

If I were Netflix I'd upload to users with an anonymous proxy. That way Comcast will have no idea what to block/slowdown

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

How is this shit legal? This is seriously messed up! I hope people ditch comcast now. If not, other ISP's might do this as well.

Dammit Netflix! They shouldn't have paid them, Comcast are supposed to provide unfiltered internet access to the customers which they're already overcharging. Netflix has made a mistake, signalling to all ISPs that we don't care about net neurtality. We care so much!

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."