"iOS Secuirty is fucked" -Zerodium Stops Accepting iOS Exploits Because of too Many Submissions

LAwLz
14 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Not sure about anywhere else but in the UK we rarely buy devices upfront, instead they come with a 2 year contract and at the end we get the choice of a new phone and deal, cut ties and move provider or keep the same service plan but stop paying the device cost. Most people just get a new phone every 2 years or so. Keeping support for 5 years caters to the few here, we're overflowing with 2 year old phones that are perfectly usable but just got replaced as part of an "upgrade".

It’s common format in the US but not universal. Buying the phone outright up front generally saves money in the long run and frees one of contractor obligations.  With the contract system the carrier owns and controls the phone.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s common format in the US but not universal. Buying the phone outright up front generally saves money in the long run and frees one of contractor obligations.  With the contract system the carrier owns and controls the phone.

It's just a credit agreement here, you're buying the device at a discounted rate with 0% interest. It's owned by the customer just as any other credit purchase. The carrier has no control over the device beyond pre-installing applications and custom boot logo's. They used to all be carrier locked but I think most have given up with that one. I know Three (my provider) don't lock any devices any more, even the subsidised pay as you go handsets.

9 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's just a credit agreement here, you're buying the device at a discounted rate with 0% interest. It's owned by the customer just as any other credit purchase. The carrier has no control over the device beyond pre-installing applications and custom boot logo's. They used to all be carrier locked but I think most have given up with that one. I know Three (my provider) don't lock any devices any more, even the subsidised pay as you go handsets.

They haven’t given up on carrier locked in the US afaik.  It was enough to make me buy my phone from Apple directly.  Years ago though. Things may have changed.  I got a 7+ I bought when it first came out.  Still works fine.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You think it is anyway.  

Then why are my accounts intact, why isn't my credit card info gone. Why don't I have lots of viruses like people claim there are. Where is the security that people like you claim it doesn't exist? Show me where my credit card data and passwords are leaked, show me where the viruses in my phone are if you claim that there isn't security. I'm speaking from personal experience, they're not things I'm making up or some information from some article.

25 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Then why are my accounts intact, why isn't my credit card info gone. Why don't I have lots of viruses like people claim there are. Where is the security that people like you claim it doesn't exist? Show me where my credit card data and passwords are leaked, show me where the viruses in my phone are if you claim that there isn't security. I'm speaking from personal experience, they're not things I'm making up or some information from some article.

Because you’re not important enough to pay attention to?  Because the group that has your data hasn’t used it in a way you can detect?  Lots of possibles.  This is the same argument I’ve seen used for a lot of things lately.  “It hasn’t happened to me so it can’t be happening” fundamentally myopic.  It just hasn’t happened to you yet and when it does it will have been too late for some time.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Because you’re not important enough to pay attention to?  Because the group that has your data hasn’t used it in a way you can detect?  Lots of possibles.  This is the same argument I’ve seen used for a lot of things lately.  “It hasn’t happened to me so it can’t be happening” fundamentally myopic.  It just hasn’t happened to you yet and when it does it will have been too late for some time.

sure, if you "say so".

Thanks for the lack there of evidence to back up your ideas.

16 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

sure, if you "say so".

Well, since that's the level of scrutiny you're wanting...

…where is your forensic, software engineering, logged, and full other evidence that allows you to PROVE that your phone is clean and uncompromised?

Hint: I guarantee if you use third party apps, there is closed source in them you can't access to know that.  Heck, many even pull different remote code as time goes on, too, so even reverse engineering can't cover it.

18 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

sure, if you "say so".

The famous I didn’t see it so it didn’t happen thing.  Seen that one before.  The earth looks flat to me personally so it must be flat etc..  Lot of that going around these days.