Do you have brand preferences?

Chiyawa
1 hour ago, danomicar said:

Does Newegg count as a brand? 

Yes. It sells product online, much like Amazon.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

There's a long-range thing for LTT to do: A decade replacement cycle gaming machine.

With how the economy goes, I don't think it is possible. Still, who knows, maybe after DDR5 came out and people don't see the need to upgrade to DDR6 until 2040, it may be very much possible for that. GPU on the other hand...

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

With how the economy goes, I don't think it is possible. Still, who knows, maybe after DDR5 came out and people don't see the need to upgrade to DDR6 until 2040, it may be very much possible for that. GPU on the other hand...

What makes it not possible?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I've had the same Dell monitor for the last 10 years, and I have a replacement arriving tomorrow as it's finally getting flaky. Once I have a good one in place I might take the old one down and see if it's the capacitors on the power supply. I bought the current replacement model of the one I've had, I hope to get a decade out of this new one.

Wow, a monitor that last 10 years. Is it LCD monitor or CRT? I have an CRT monitor, and it still works until just recently. It was bought in 2000, so it's 20 years old. Replace the Yoke 3 times, I think.

4 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

What makes it not possible?

Well, if there's no major changes in PC hardware, it is possible. However, now it is a bit difficult, with the transitioning of PCIe Gen 4 (and later 5) and DDR 5. Let's say all of the sudden, everyone is aiming for 128 bit OS, then this is quite hard to achieve. If we can still maintain 64 bit computing, with very little changes on processor architecture, OS environment, and technological advancement, it is possible.

5 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Wow, a monitor that last 10 years. Is it LCD monitor or CRT? I have an CRT monitor, and it still works until just recently. It was bought in 2000, so it's 20 years old. Replace the Yoke 3 times, I think.

LCD with a compact fluorescent backlight. I had another LCD that I purchased in 2003 and used as a secondary, but it caught on fire at my desk last year. The new replacement is an LED backlit panel so maybe it'll last longer than my current one has.

I had a MAG Industries 21" CRT years ago. 1600x1200 and I think it'd go up to 75hz even at that resolution. The picture was amazing but it was like moving an engine block, so I gave it to a friend. It would be amazing for retro gaming if I still had it.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

I had a MAG Industries 21" CRT years ago. 1600x1200 and I think it'd go up to 75hz even at that resolution. The picture was amazing but it was like moving an engine block, so I gave it to a friend. It would be amazing for retro gaming if I still had it.

Yeah. CRT is known to produce the best possible curve lines. Too bad there are no one producing CRT any more.

46 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, if there's no major changes in PC hardware, it is possible. However, now it is a bit difficult, with the transitioning of PCIe Gen 4 (and later 5) and DDR 5. Let's say all of the sudden, everyone is aiming for 128 bit OS, then this is quite hard to achieve. If we can still maintain 64 bit computing, with very little changes on processor architecture, OS environment, and technological advancement, it is possible.

It's possible for a computer to work until a component fails. Forthcoming technologies do not change that, and it takes much longer than most realize for support to be dropped for older technologies.

Or, in other words, if we flipped a switch and woke up tomorrow with 128 bit CPUs and DDR5 memory on the shelves ready to go, software manufacturers would still be primarily targeting the stuff from today for 1-3 years, supporting the stuff from today for an additional 3-5  years, and warning of impending doom for a final 1-2 years. This pattern of long adoption times for ground breaking changes has been proven time and time again, and it affords 5 to 10 years of warning time for late adopters.

People made the same arguments when I built my Haswell+Kepler machine with a 10 year plan. 7 Years in and I'm only now starting to think about replacing it, and that's only because I had a RAM stick fail and the prices of decent amounts of decent DDR3 memory tell me that I should just buy DDR4 memory instead.

People have been making this argument in the general sense since the advent of fast technological advancement in any field, and the argument is always flawed. A "thing" I buy today is still the same "thing" a decade from now.

And all of that is ignoring the fact that your specific example of a 128 bit general purpose consumer oriented CPU has been debunked by the CPU manufacturers themselves time and time again: The bitwidth of processors changes with increased need for efficient memory addressing. A 64 bit CPU can efficiently address ~18.4 exabytes of memory. The biggest supercomputer in the world right now has ~2.8 petabytes across all nodes in it's network. That is to say that the biggest and baddest supercomputer in the world only has 0.015% of the memory efficiently addressable by a single 64 bit processor.

43 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yeah. CRT is known to produce the best possible curve lines. Too bad there are no one producing CRT any more.

You literally just told me that it's not possible for technology to be worthwhile, or even usable, even just a decade after it's introduced... Then you turn around and say that technology from 1897 beats out the most modern technology we have?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

For me it is the following

Motherboard - Asus

Ram - Corsair

Peripherals - Corsair

Graphics - Nvidia & Asus

Monitor - Acer

Case - Cooler Master but now have a NZXT H1

Cooling - Which ever is decent

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Nope, not even a little bit, as far as I am concerned some of the cheaper Chinese shit craps all over the more conventional "branded" gear.    I'll buy the best I can afford when I want to buy.  If that's gamdias on Tuesday and cougar an Thursday then that's the way it is.  I will not buy a product just because it has a particular logo on the box. The most expensive PSU I have ever bought is a seasonic gold, mostly I just buy the $60 VS series or Antec (even gigabyte or silverstone).  They do the job perfectly well and have done for decades.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I actually dont really have preference on hardware, I actually go by looks, but If that item looks good but its shitty quality Im not taking it. 

mouse - Glorious gaming, Razer

keyboard - Ozone strike

display - who has best value

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

You literally just told me that it's not possible for technology to be worthwhile, or even usable, even just a decade after it's introduced... Then you turn around and say that technology from 1897 beats out the most modern technology we have?

Well, monitor is okay, after all, it only display what the graphic card told it to. But anyway, finding a GPU card with VGA (the only input port supported by the CRT monitor) these days is almost impossible without a converter.

Anyway, you are right. I'm sorry for making an argument. The thing is, however, I have experienced a time when I get the most expensive card available at the time at 1998 (I think it was TNT2 32MB, I live in Malaysia and our selection is pretty much limited). Within 7 years it couldn't run Sim City 4 that well. Games has evolved at that time, from 2D vectors and polygonal 3D to more realistic 3D graphic. GPU is probably the one that goes obsolete first when it comes to gaming. In order to play the latest games, the GPU might need to be upgraded. If you're only playing old games that was released for the GPU, I guess you don't need to.

Also, there's another one. I had a computer at 2002, it was Pentium 4 (without HT) uses 478 socket, running DDR RAM. In 6 years, many people began to transition to 64-bit OS, but I'm still stuck at 32-bit. It wasn't big of the deal, but running Windows Vista on a 3.2GB RAM system (since my system couldn't support 64 bit OS, I was limit by to 3.2GB despite I have 4GB RAM (the maximum RAM my system support) is a nightmare. Had to revert back to XP and wait for Windows 7.

Well, all I can say is that I had faced a few issues back then, so I'm saying building a system that last 10 years is almost not possible if you are planning to play the latest games ever released in the future. At some point, you may need to upgrade your GPU, unless you are willing to play it in a lower settings.

Ah, now I see my error, I forgot to include 'almost' before impossible. Sorry, my bad.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Nope, not even a little bit, as far as I am concerned some of the cheaper Chinese shit craps all over the more conventional "branded" gear.    I'll buy the best I can afford when I want to buy.  If that's gamdias on Tuesday and cougar an Thursday then that's the way it is.  I will not buy a product just because it has a particular logo on the box. The most expensive PSU I have ever bought is a seasonic gold, mostly I just buy the $60 VS series or Antec (even gigabyte or silverstone).  They do the job perfectly well and have done for decades.

I see. So any brand, as long as it works, will do for you. I like your style.

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

Apple for laptops

Asus for motherboards

I see. I actually not sure why Apple laptops appeals to many. My sister is also an Apple laptops fan. Well, I guess she knew how to fully utilised it, whereas I'm thinking they are overpriced to a degree. But still, Apple sure has the best appeal when it comes to appearance and designs.

Just now, Chiyawa said:

I see. I actually not sure why Apple laptops appeals to many. My sister is also an Apple laptops fan. Well, I guess she knew how to fully utilised it, whereas I'm thinking they are overpriced to a degree. But still, Apple sure has the best appeal when it comes to appearance and designs.

it's because i love macOS's interface on a laptop. also their trackpads are the best ever. those are the only reasons. if i could have a non-apple laptop with an amazing trackpad and macOS i would buy it but i can't. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Patrik_ said:

I actually dont really have preference on hardware, I actually go by looks, but If that item looks good but its shitty quality Im not taking it. 

mouse - Glorious gaming, Razer

keyboard - Ozone strike

display - who has best value

Hmm... Haven't heard of Glorious gaming and Ozone strike brand. I see. Well, I'm using Armaggeddon brand myself. It is quite popular in Singapore and somewhat in Malaysia.

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

it's because i love macOS's interface on a laptop. also their trackpads are the best ever. those are the only reasons. if i could have a non-apple laptop with an amazing trackpad and macOS i would buy it but i can't. 

Yeah, Apple would not just sell their OS as stand-alone product. I found the interface is 'intriguing' but somehow not to my liking. I'm more of the standard task-bar than docking guy, although their function are the same.

1 hour ago, Chiyawa said:

Hmm... Haven't heard of Glorious gaming and Ozone strike brand. I see. Well, I'm using Armaggeddon brand myself. It is quite popular in Singapore and somewhat in Malaysia.

Glorious is awsome especialy Model O mouse, Ozone is my countrys brand, Its actaully pretty decent for the price I have Ozone strike pro spectra, you can look at pictures it has little different design than usual mechanil keyboards. 

While it may not be always true of some products, there's a saying "you get what you pay for". 

In my whole set up, theres only 6 common brands...

• Asus
  • Corsair
  • Samsung
  • WD
  • MSI
  • Yamaha 

Why? 

Because the quality stands out verses other cheaper brands, sure these brands also make lower quality stuff at a lower cost but even those are not that bad. 

What I don't understand is that people have come to except cheap crap quality stuff these days whereas back in the Victorian times, people made things properly and it didn't matter how much it cost. You got the same quality or similar quality as a much more expensive product, sadly that approach seems to have disappered these days.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Yes but only for specific parts.

I would only buy Logitech or Corsair peripherals but never Corsair cases.

I would buy fractal cases but probably not the fans and AIOs.

Generally I keep things simple and buy what has the best specs and interoperability for my needs at the time, brand come second.

Hence my system is a mix but mostly Corsair, Fractal, Noctua, BeQuiet, Asrock, AOC, Samsung and Seagate.

I don’t have any but G.Skill are superb btw, I just don’t need it these days.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

While it may not be always true of some products, there's a saying "you get what you pay for". 

In my whole set up, theres only 6 common brands...

• Asus
  • Corsair
  • Samsung
  • WD
  • MSI
  • Yamaha 

Why? 

Because the quality stands out verses other cheaper brands, sure these brands also make lower quality stuff at a lower cost but even those are not that bad. 

What I don't understand is that people have come to except cheap crap quality stuff these days whereas back in the Victorian times, people made things properly and it didn't matter how much it cost. You got the same quality or similar quality as a much more expensive product, sadly that approach seems to have disappered these days.

Nice one. Well, I sure have MSI GX70 3BE laptop which come with AMD A10 5750m + 8560G APU and AMD Radeon HD8970m 2GB. Works quite good, for the time at least. Then after about a year, AMD and MSI decided to drop support for the model, and I'm stuck at Catalyst Control Centre 15.7 because of the APU Radeon 8560G. But nevertheless, it serves me well for 6 years. Quality is not bad, but the keyboard can be improve in my opinion, as it couldn't take a good deal of force at intense gaming session.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

G.Skill for Ram

Ducky for KB

ASUS for Mobo

AMD for CPUs rn

Samsung for phones

Corsair for mice

Superflower for PSUs

id for gore/arena shooters

Team Ninja for hack and slash+home fighting games

SNK/Playmore for arcades

Asus Mobo is quite expensive, but they sure packs a some good VRM. Many people sure love G.Skill RAM.