Unfixable Flaw Found in Thunderbolt Port that Unlocks any PC in Less Than 5 Minutes

Pickles von Brine

Dutch researcher from the Eindhoven University of Technology has found a new vulnerability in Thunderbolt port that allows attackers with physical access to unlock any PC running Windows or Linux kernel-based OS in less than 5 minutes. The researcher of the university called Björn Ruytenberg found a method which he calls Thunderspy, which can bypass the login screen of any PC. This attack requires physical access to the device, which is, of course, dangerous on its own if left with a person of knowledge. The Thunderbolt port is a fast protocol, and part of the reason why it is so fast is that it partially allows direct access to computer memory. And anything that can access memory directly is a potential vulnerability...

Using an SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) programmer with a SOP8 clip that connects the pins of the programmer device to the controller, the attacker just runs a script from there. This procedure requires around $400 worth of hardware. 

Source
Thunderspy - More details

Well now, that isn't something you see everyday. Talk about a hell of a vulnerablility. People are bent out of shape about Surface books not having thunderbolt on them and this just further secures as to why. Microsoft stated they had a vulnerability and this one is one of one at that. I can really see this being a huge problem especially if your laptop got stolen. Couple that with the potential of espionage by nation-states, hacking groups and more it is really a big doozy. Even if it requires physical access, it is the amount of time it takes for someone to get in. That is the part that is scary. 

My question is does this bypass things like Bitlocker?

Upon further reading, I guess not:

Thunderspy works even if you follow best security practices by locking or suspending your computer when leaving briefly, and if your system administrator has set up the device with Secure Boot, strong BIOS and operating system account passwords, and enabled full disk encryption. All the attacker needs is 5 minutes alone with the computer, a screwdriver, and some easily portable hardware.

The other big thing: Thunderbolt is one of Intel's babies. They just cannot catch a break can they?

A demo of the exploit:

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

This, people, is why we don't want single port computers. Forget about the absolute clusterfuck if that single port gets damaged, you can't even turn it off and use any external devices at all.

I'll stick to my half inch thicker laptops with an array of ports thanks :)

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

This, people, is why we don't want single port computers. Forget about the absolute clusterfuck if that single port gets damaged, you can't even turn it off and use any external devices at all.

That and the fact this vulnerability bypasses basically all best practices on the system. Ouch. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Just now, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

That and the fact this vulnerability bypasses basically all best practices on the system. Ouch. 

*Awaiting rampage of "but Apple fixed it" comments*

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

*Awaiting rampage of "but Apple fixed it" comments*

Apple isn't mentioned in here, but from I have heard, they do some pretty cool stuff with their security anyways. 

Welp, RIP that connector I guess.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Welp, RIP that connector I guess.

It is more of another RIP on intel as well. This is what, 11 vulnerabilities total?

This has been one hell of a decade already... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

18 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

It is more of another RIP on intel as well. This is what, 11 vulnerabilities total?

Technically, we have Thunderbolt on AMD as well...  Sure it was developed by Intel, but they've opened it since and it doesn't require an Intel CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Technically, we have Thunderbolt on AMD as well...  Sure it was developed by Intel, but they've opened it since and it doesn't require an Intel CPU.

Very true, but it was still Intel who made it. So ultimately their name is on it 

25 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Apple isn't mentioned in here, but from I have heard, they do some pretty cool stuff with their security anyways. 

Yer it increases the cost of making the laptop by quite a bit as apple require the T2 chip (a lower binned iPad cpu) for this. Interesting how the T2 chip became a thing just as macs got TB3...  it is a shame apple are so secretive, i expect to know of attacks like this a long time ago, but maybe due to agreements with intel are not able to share them. 

2 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Yer it increases the cost of making the laptop by quite a bit as apple require the T2 chip (a lower binned iPad cpu) for this. Interesting how the T2 chip became a thing just as macs got TB3...  it is a shame apple are so secretive, i expect to know of attacks like this a long time ago, but maybe due to agreements with intel are not able to share them. 

And if they fail, the whole machine is dead and data is all gone.

31 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

pretty much

23 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Yep a lot fo that is due to the fact the T2 chip is both the SSD controller (the SDD in T2 macs don't have their own controller chips) and it has an internal crypto key that never leaves its secure enclave. Much like other proper secure boot systems. 

Any form of secure boot that just uses the users password is easy to break. You just clone the first few MB of the hard-drive and fire up a GPU to brute force the user password massively in parallel. This is why MS use the TPM chip on their devices. The T2 chip has some other benefit of the TPM, namely the crypto happens within the T2 so it does not use up your cpu cycles. (if you are putting your cpu under heavy load at the same time as heavy disk access you will find your perf drop on a windows system with secure boot). 

But the most important features of the T2 is the secure boot subsystem, that said i think they could have made it better.

the T2 stores your x86 UEFI on your ssd. That is why if you remove/replace the SSD (on the macPro/iMacPro were it is modular) you cant boot teh system. You need that UEFI.

1) Apple should have put the x86 UEFI on a separate (removable, this is useful for diagnostics) ssd, so that replacing user's the modular SSDs is possible without needing to first load them with the correctly signed UEFI.

2) they should have also made all T2 macs use the modular option

5 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Yep a lot fo that is due to the fact the T2 chip is both the SSD controller (the SDD in T2 macs don't have their own controller chips) and it has an internal crypto key that never leaves its secure enclave. Much like other proper secure boot systems. 

Any form of secure boot that just uses the users password is easy to break. You just clone the first few MB of the hard-drive and fire up a GPU to brute force the user password massively in parallel. This is why MS use the TPM chip on their devices. The T2 chip has some other benefit of the TPM, namely the crypto happens within the T2 so it does not use up your cpu cycles. (if you are putting your cpu under heavy load at the same time as heavy disk access you will find your perf drop on a windows system with secure boot). 

But the most important features of the T2 is the secure boot subsystem, that said i think they could have made it better.

the T2 stores your x86 UEFI on your ssd. That is why if you remove/replace the SSD (on the macPro/iMacPro were it is modular) you cant boot teh system. You need that UEFI.

1) Apple should have put the x86 UEFI on a separate (removable, this is useful for diagnostics) ssd, so that replacing user's the modular SSDs is possible without needing to first load them with the correctly signed UEFI.

Doubt they will ever do that. Good ideas though!

11 minutes ago, hishnash said:

1) It's Apple

2) It's Apple

Neither will help them screw customers over when things go wrong so don't count on it.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Neither will help them screw customers over when things go wrong so don't count on it.

I don't think apple actively try to screw customers over they just don't go out of thier way to make it easy for users. 

welp guess MS didn't lie when they said that they don't put TB on their surfaces because of security reasons

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 minutes ago, hishnash said:

I don't think apple actively try to screw customers over they just don't go out of thier way to make it easy for users. 

Are you sure about that? 2 grand repair bill for a damaged (and fixable) pin on a connector says otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Are you sure about that? 2 grand repair bill for a damaged (and fixable) pin on a connector says otherwise.

2g? They have mail in services that are not so bad. I always go to AASPs vs going to Apple to get my computer fixed. Far more reasonable. 

Just now, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

2g? They have mail in services that are not so bad. I always go to AASPs vs going to Apple to get my computer fixed. Far more reasonable. 

I don't use Apple machines, it was a CBC undercover report. They took a Macbook in with "no display" (was just no backlight). The "genius" said it was liquid damaged and needed a new board, top case and possibly a screen. Was just a (purposely) damaged cable that took 5 minutes to diagnose and repair.

I prefer machines I can buy parts for and fit the next day when they turn up from Amazon ;) My 11 year old HP tank is still going strong :)

28 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Guaranteeing that your data will be lost if your computer/SSD has a hardware failure is actively screwing your customers though. This idea that Joe Schmoe Everyuser needs unbreakable encryption on their laptop is crazy, it's better if data recovery is possible, VS having a device so locked-down that a shorted USB controller frying your logic board makes your data unrecoverable.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

So for the hacker to do this, they must

1. Have physical access to the machine

2. An iFixit Pro Tech Tool Kit

3. Some DIY circuit board of some sort with a attachment that goes to the TB connector used in the IBM ThinkPad

4. Some other machine that was in the video but was never mentiond

5. A MacBook Pro

6. Some cables

I was expecting some flash drive that was quickly plugged in and the login can be bypassed in seconds, not something like this. All I see is just scare mongering as if having TB is something not to have anymore. That stupid demo just shows how to bypass the login screen, what about TPM, BitLocker, and Hard drive encryption, can it bypass them too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

You just pissed off everyone who likes Apple. lol