This is a fun one, need a 250$ portable(small) pc build for a relative.

OsJammer

Hi, 

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me with this build.

We need a pc build that can possibly play some games at lowest around 30 fps. So gaming really isn't our focus. thus no need for a Gpu. Also need it to be portable/light. I don't really know much about mAtx / mItx builds.

Couldn't find some useful video about this on YouTube as well.

Was thinking about a single 120gb ssd. And possibly an Apu. (Maybe Ryzen 3 2200g) . Maybe just a cpu is enough too i don't really know. Also i've heard there are new ryzen 3 cpu and apu's are in the way.

Budget: Around 250 USD

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-deskmini-a300w/p/N82E16856158064

ASRock's Deskmini series is going to be about the best thing I can figure for this. pair it with something like a 2200g

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Just now, DobertRownySr said:

What's the main focus if it isn't gaming?

Cheap/Portable

1 minute ago, OsJammer said:

Cheap/Portable

But I mean, like what. Web browsing, video editing, etc?

Just now, DobertRownySr said:

But I mean, like what. Web browsing, video editing, etc?

Oh, mostly daily use stuff. Think of the things old folks would do with their laptops. Web browsing, video calling, maybe 2d flash games. (sometimes those games want some cpu juice.) 

Just now, OsJammer said:

Oh, mostly daily use stuff. Think of the things old folks would do with their laptops. Web browsing, video calling, maybe 2d flash games. (sometimes those games want some cpu juice.) 

And how portable should it be? Like something that can easily be carried with two hands, or something really small like a console?

1 minute ago, DobertRownySr said:

And how portable should it be? Like something that can easily be carried with two hands, or something really small like a console?

Not necessarily too small. But ''Put it in a relatively big bag and ready to go'' size. 

The one Semper posted looks like a size we would want.

The ASRock Deskmini is definitely a good option. Here's a different option, a quick build I threw together on PCPP: 

Most of these are just picked as the cheapest option in a parametric filter, and could certainly be improved upon for not a lot more money. Note that since you said integrated GPU was ok, I sacrificed any possible future expansion in favor of portability. (But the Deskmini does that too.)

2 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

The ASRock Deskmini is definitely a good option. Here's a different option, a quick build I threw together on PCPP: 

Most of these are just picked as the cheapest option in a parametric filter, and could certainly be improved upon for not a lot more money. Note that since you said integrated GPU was ok, I sacrificed any possible future expansion in favor of portability. (But the Deskmini does that too.)

Oh, this is very useful. Thanks.

150 W Power Supply is enough right?

Just now, OsJammer said:

Not necessarily too small. But ''Put it in a relatively big bag and ready to go'' size. 

The one Semper posted looks like a size we would want.

Yeah I took a look at that after my previous comment, it looks like it doesn't come with any Motherboard, RAM or a CPU.

2 minutes ago, OsJammer said:

Oh, this is very useful. Thanks.

150 W Power Supply is enough right?

For a modern dual-core CPU 150W is plenty, the problem is those generic PSUs that come bundled with cases aren't very reliable.

Howcome you don't just get a laptop? Will likely be simpler for everyone involved and is much more portable. You'd be looking at used ones in this price range if you don't want total garbage 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Howcome you don't just get a laptop? Will likely be simpler for everyone involved and is much more portable. You'd be looking at used ones in this price range if you don't want total garbage 

Because it would be a waste for our already existing monitor, keyboard and mouse. And we can't buy a used one as well. Plus a laptop isn't the best option for us since they're not price/performance. 

Id offer an xbox. Camera, microphone, or one of those kennects from a gamestop. The reason is while it isn't a pc or can do things like a pc,  it still has internet explorer app, skype app, youtube app, ect. ect. As well as 30 fps gaming. {60 with select titles such as borderlands remastered.}

You can surf the web, use keyboard and mouse, and virtually all "normal daily activity" that a pc can, and if your monitor is connected via HDMI, no need for another viewing device. It is small, portable, and easily connects to "standard" devices. And like I said before, mouse and keyboard friendly.
The only real difference for generic useage, is the OS.

Brand new from game stop, the original is about $150, S is about $200, and x is about $300

"runs away from the witch hunters"

If you want you can get a better cpu, but I made this one cheaper than the budget, also am4 is a good, upgradeable platform 

15 minutes ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

Looks great but, isn't 200GE better than A8-9600 with lower price? Is there a catch i can't see?

1 minute ago, OsJammer said:

Looks great but, isn't 200GE better than A8-9600 with same price/lower price? Is there a catch i can't see?

Kind of. I’d say that if you need 4 cores go with the a8, because for light gaming, 4 cores might be better than 2. Especially with background applications open.

2 hours ago, OsJammer said:

1 hour ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

Kind of. I’d say that if you need 4 cores go with the a8, because for light gaming, 4 cores might be better than 2. Especially with background applications open.

I don't think you need 4 cores for that.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 hours ago, OsJammer said:

But ''Put it in a relatively big bag and ready to go'' size.

Do you mean Micro ATX (smaller then standard) or Mini ITX (We are talking mini PC/console size). Mini ITX is generally more expensive (due to small size) so a Micro-ATX build will do good if you can put it in a small bag.

I am talking this motherboard (which fits your budget and needs) but you can consult this list for more info if needed. Cases are the same deal, but I don't know what to recommend, as I don't know what look you are going for.

On a budget this extreme, get 8GB of RAM (What I tell myself when IDK how much RAM I need: "When in doubt get 1x8GB stick for upgradability.", but if you aren't planning to need more and go Ryzen get 2x4GB). Crucial is cheap but I don't know any other brands...

How much storage? Get Kingston for 128GB ($25) or get this one ($36) for 256GB. If this is portable definatly get SSD unless you need tons of storage, in which case you would get a 1TB HDD for $50 and a 128GB SSD for $25, but that doesn't fit the budget, so I would not recommend it. Also, you might lose your data on a HDD...

What Ryzen? IDK Intel so just Ryzen. Ryzen 3200G for integrated GPU on a budget. Or get 2200G if you need to spend less but I would recommend paying $20 more for a better GPU and better CPU. I mean, the CPU isn't great but it is the best budget AMD CPU with integrated graphics... unless we talk Athlon. Get the best Athlon you can get. Please. Otherwise the performance will... let's just say not ideal...

Power Supply Unit (PSU). Get CORSAIR CV 450W for $50... It will save... let's just say some of your components will be better off without a bad PSU. Paying $20 more for a much better PSU makes all the difference and might save $100 worth of components (give or take $40).

That is all. Here is a list:

Motherboard: $65

RAM: $36

SSD: $25+

CPU: $65+

PSU: $50

Total: Over your budget. How much over can you go over?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

I don't think you need 4 cores for that.

I said if There are background apps open cause it’s also used for light gaming

3 hours ago, OsJammer said:

Looks great but, isn't 200GE better than A8-9600 with lower price? Is there a catch i can't see?

If you go with my build, you might be able to squeeze in a gpu, probably used, but those are usually fine

6 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

the cores on that APU are crap enough that it wouldn't really matter that much anyway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

No... not all cores are the same...

@OsJammer if all your relatives want to play are browser games you can pull it off with pretty much anything, in this case going for a custom build might be the wrong choice. I would rather recommend a refurbished unit like this one. Make sure to select an SSD.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*