Transparent Headphones For Music Production (and Gaming)

Hello LTT forum, how are you? Good to hear.

I'm new but figured I'd start asking around here for something I've been sort of looking into but have had sort of a hard time going by (seeing as how every manufacturer is going to say they have what I'm looking for, anyway).

So, the short of it is that I'm looking for a solid pair of headphones for music production.

I'm not producing stuff that goes on local radio and gets a few thousand views on YouTube, but I'd like to, and one of the biggest problems I've run in to is that a mix that sounds okay on my headphones will sound like cruddy playing through different speakers and headphones. It probably has to do with the headphones and headset I use. One of them is a "gaming" headset that really lacks a decent bass response (so when I use those, I tend to end up with a bit too much low-end), and the other doesn't have a long enough cable (I need a long cable in order to keep it out of the way of my arms and the guitar while I'm playing), and too much bass (so I play it on speakers and the bottom end is just gone).

I also do a fair amount of gaming, but I don't mind if the headphones/headset aren't "optimized for gaming" or whatever the gaming headset adverts always say.

Basically, I'm looking for something with a really flat response, with good clarity. Over-ear is preferred but on or in-ear are okay, too. I don't need anything super loud that doesn't distort even though it's putting out the same decibels as a detonating nuclear bomb on my shoulder, either.

My budget is flexible. It seems like a lot of the most popular options on Sweetwater range from ~$60 to ~$150, so that seems like it might be a sweet-spot for value.

So far, I've been looking into Sennheiser's HD 280 PRO (I've heard good things about Sennheiser as a really solid, transparent headphone manufacturer), and Direct Sound's EX-29 headphones (because Paul Gilbert advertises them and who am I to question Paul Gilbert?).

Do you guys have any other suggestions as to what kind of headphones I should be looking in to or I might want to keep in mind while I'm looking?

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77, GPU: EVGA GTX 760 SC 2Gb, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 G, RAM: 8 Gbs Corsair Vengeance @1600MHz, Storage (SSD/HDD): Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb/WD Black 1Tb

Feel free to check out my first album/EP 抱き枕 on Soundcloud and follow me for new tracks and WIPs in the future~! https://soundcloud.com/eric-bishton/sets/dakimakura

Hello LTT forum, how are you? Good to hear.

I'm new but figured I'd start asking around here for something I've been sort of looking into but have had sort of a hard time going by (seeing as how every manufacturer is going to say they have what I'm looking for, anyway).

So, the short of it is that I'm looking for a solid pair of headphones for music production.

I'm not producing stuff that goes on local radio and gets a few thousand views on YouTube, but I'd like to, and one of the biggest problems I've run in to is that a mix that sounds okay on my headphones will sound like cruddy playing through different speakers and headphones. It probably has to do with the headphones and headset I use. One of them is a "gaming" headset that really lacks a decent bass response (so when I use those, I tend to end up with a bit too much low-end), and the other doesn't have a long enough cable (I need a long cable in order to keep it out of the way of my arms and the guitar while I'm playing), and too much bass (so I play it on speakers and the bottom end is just gone).

I also do a fair amount of gaming, but I don't mind if the headphones/headset aren't "optimized for gaming" or whatever the gaming headset adverts always say.

Basically, I'm looking for something with a really flat response, with good clarity. Over-ear is preferred but on or in-ear are okay, too. I don't need anything super loud that doesn't distort even though it's putting out the same decibels as a detonating nuclear bomb on my shoulder, either.

My budget is flexible. It seems like a lot of the most popular options on Sweetwater range from ~$60 to ~$150, so that seems like it might be a sweet-spot for value.

So far, I've been looking into Sennheiser's HD 280 PRO (I've heard good things about Sennheiser as a really solid, transparent headphone manufacturer), and Direct Sound's EX-29 headphones (because Paul Gilbert advertises them and who am I to question Paul Gilbert?).

Do you guys have any other suggestions as to what kind of headphones I should be looking in to or I might want to keep in mind while I'm looking?

P.S. - Shameless self-promotion for my first album/EP/whatever: https://soundcloud.com/eric-bishton/sets/dakimakura

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRo. Do they fit your budget?

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-504631-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392920700&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+558

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRo. Do they fit your budget?

Those need amp and his budget is tight.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The 32 Ohm ones don't, but those are over his budget :(

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean I have like, a strict budget, just that it seemed like the most popular ones on Sweetwater were around that area. If they're more expensive, it just sort of means I'll have to wait a bit longer to afford them.

It's not in your budget, but a DT880 might sound appropriate, a DT440 might be passable. 

I think these might be your best fit

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Semi-Open-Headphones-Commercial-Applications/dp/B0002MT6RY

Note that the 770 and 990 are not flat at all. 

The DT880 is a bit much, but the DT440 is an option, though reviews seem to suggest a bit of modification might be in order... well, I'm not averse to doing a bit of that.

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77, GPU: EVGA GTX 760 SC 2Gb, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 G, RAM: 8 Gbs Corsair Vengeance @1600MHz, Storage (SSD/HDD): Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb/WD Black 1Tb

Feel free to check out my first album/EP 抱き枕 on Soundcloud and follow me for new tracks and WIPs in the future~! https://soundcloud.com/eric-bishton/sets/dakimakura

Sony MDR V6 or 7506 are the defacto standard for anyone serious about getting in an industry that deals in audio. Don't even consider anything else for your first pair.

read my shure 440/840 reviews in sig

audio technica ath-m30's seemed pretty flat for the short time I used them.

and can't forget the sennheiser HD280 and sony 7506

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac