Musk talked to Apple, but said acquisition of Tesla 'unlikely'

PillowSmoke

SpaceX_extra2_610x458.jpg

After speculation spread across the Web this week about Apple possibly courting Elon Musk to acquire Tesla, the electric car company CEO dispelled the myth on Wednesday.

In an interview with Bloomberg Television, Musk confirmed that he did meet with Apple and "had conversations" but that he "can't comment on whether those revolved around any kind of acquisition."

On Sunday, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that Musk met with Apple's chief of mergers and acquisitions and possibly CEO Tim Cook last spring. The newspaper floated the idea of a high-level merger between the two companies.

Bloomberg asked Musk on Wednesday whether Tesla was for sale and he responded that it's "unlikely" because the company is trying to stay focused on creating a "compelling mass market electric car." He said that if another company came to him with like-minded ideas, he might "entertain those discussions," but that he doesn't "currently see any scenario that would improve that probability."

After it was reported on Sunday that Musk met with Apple, some speculated that the meeting was about integrating Apple's iOS software technologies into Tesla's all-electric automobiles -- much like what the iPhone-maker has done with Audi, General Motors, Ford, Hyundai, and others.

Musk told Bloomberg that he could see some sort of Android or iOS app integration for Tesla cars, but that was secondary to the company's focus.
"That's somewhat peripheral to the fundamental goal of Tesla, which is to accelerate the electric car revolution, to make it happen," he said.

Tesla reported stellar fourth quarter earnings on Wednesday with revenue at $610.9 million, up from $294.4 million a year ago. And, the company is on track to deliver 35,000 Model S vehicles in 2014, which is up 55 percent from 2013.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

applecar1.jpg

Apple may be getting in bed with Tesla. At the end of the earnings report this past Wed, Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla mentioned two important things. The first quote:

“We had conversations with Apple. I can’t comment on whether those revolved around any kind of acquisition,”

Lets let that sit for a second. With a plethora of tech companies like nVidia, intel, Apple and Google all vying for space in your car, its no surprise that Apple has been having back door meetings with the likes of a company that has the same attention to detail and perfectionist attitude as Tesla. An iOS initiative in the car space would be as elegant as it would be seamless with all other functions of the car. 

The thing that comes to mind is not just a partnership, but a full out acquisition. Telsa, a company valued at 25 Billion can only be targeted by the upper echelon of tech companies. Apple, sitting on 160 Billion cash, is probably the best suitor. If Apple acquires Tesla, this could be the next big paradigm shift that no one would be expecting. It would also be the best move. Apple pretty much has two places to go to expand its ecosystem: your TV room and, your car. In terms of OS integration, where others like Microsoft have failed, I think Apple will succeed.

The second big thing that Musk announced was that Tesla would be the first car manufacturer to have an autonomous driving function. He mentioned that unlike Google's self driving cars, Tesla would adopt an "auto pilot" function where the cars autopilot could be overridden by human input as in the case of planes.

So, this is all cool stuff. I cant wait to see how an Apple car would look. I also cant imagine how the car industry would look like if Tesla turned out to be a subsidiary of Apple. Think of it! Apple's own auto piloted car! Up there with the big three: GM, Chrysler and Ford. The future just got crazy

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/19/apple-and-tesla-had-a-spring-fling/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2014/02/19/elon-musk-tesla-will-be-first-with-autonomous-driving-admits-to-apple-meeting/

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

btw, what do you have those cards clocked at?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

da future gonna be epic!

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Ahh ok I got ninjad... But there's other info here about autopilot cars.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

btw, what do you have those cards clocked at?

My video cards? Those are upped to 1020 on the core...I cant remember what the memory is at because I did it along time ago and im not on my comp atm. Both are stock heatsinks

They have already speculated what it would be like if apple made a car:

10. Cars would be priced higher than they are worth and come from a single source just like they do now. But Apple would continuously advertise that buying one of their cars is an escape from that kind of old style paradigm.

9. Apple would be continually lobbying the government to subsidize the donation of cars to schools for driver education.

8. Cars would need excessive horsepower to operate more than one accessory at a time.

7. Many accessories would operate differently but owners would ignore this and boast to their friends that all of their accessories have an identical look and feel.

6. Help regarding the operation of their accessories would be only marginally better than those who drove UNIX cars but the owners would boast that this is of no concern because all of their accessories have an identical look and feel.

5. Owners manuals would be very small. Maintenance manuals, needed to add an accessory yourself, would come in seven large volumes.

4. Owners would make fun of how complex it is to add an accessory on other cars. Owners would not have a clue just how difficult it was for them to add an accessory to their own car themselves. Very few owners of Apple cars would add their own accessories.

3. Periodically a little picture of a bomb would appear on the dashboard and the car would come to a stop. Loyal owners would rarely, if ever, admit this and would convince themselves that this sort of thing happens to owners of other cars all the time.

2. People who could never drive before would begin driving, join auto clubs, tell everyone else how to drive, and generally become insufferable bores.

And the number one way life would be different if Apple build cars...

1. Using the fruits of a larger company's focused research and development effort cars would be introduced that were 10 years ahead of their time. After release, they wouldn't change for over 10 years...

credit: http://members.tripod.com/shadab_shaikh/carsa.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Getting bought by apple is probably worse than being bought by GM or Exxon Mobil.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just think of how often there will be new cars too. If you add something as simple as rectangular side-mirrors rather than the rounded side-mirrors it will be counted as a "Whole new car" and apple fans would convince themselves that a lot has changed and it's better than their "Old, rundown" iCar 2s or what ever previous car that came out about 1 month ago.

Cpt.Doom Reporting in!

Well apparently Tesla's current in-car interface is pretty garbage so I don't see how having Apple inside could make it worse... well actually I guess I can, nevermind.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Nothing beats a good Alfa Romeo.... Well if they could up their build quallity i wouldnt be mad at them but anyway..

Im not exactly happy if they team up, but some good things might come from this

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

A Tesla is probably the first car I'm going to buy out right, but if someone like Apple acquired them...I might just settle for a Civic then....

They have already speculated what it would be like if apple made a car:

10. Cars would be priced higher than they are worth and come from a single source just like they do now. But Apple would continuously advertise that buying one of their cars is an escape from that kind of old style paradigm.

9. Apple would be continually lobbying the government to subsidize the donation of cars to schools for driver education.

8. Cars would need excessive horsepower to operate more than one accessory at a time.

7. Many accessories would operate differently but owners would ignore this and boast to their friends that all of their accessories have an identical look and feel.

6. Help regarding the operation of their accessories would be only marginally better than those who drove UNIX cars but the owners would boast that this is of no concern because all of their accessories have an identical look and feel.

5. Owners manuals would be very small. Maintenance manuals, needed to add an accessory yourself, would come in seven large volumes.

4. Owners would make fun of how complex it is to add an accessory on other cars. Owners would not have a clue just how difficult it was for them to add an accessory to their own car themselves. Very few owners of Apple cars would add their own accessories.

3. Periodically a little picture of a bomb would appear on the dashboard and the car would come to a stop. Loyal owners would rarely, if ever, admit this and would convince themselves that this sort of thing happens to owners of other cars all the time.

2. People who could never drive before would begin driving, join auto clubs, tell everyone else how to drive, and generally become insufferable bores.

And the number one way life would be different if Apple build cars...

1. Using the fruits of a larger company's focused research and development effort cars would be introduced that were 10 years ahead of their time. After release, they wouldn't change for over 10 years...

credit: http://members.tripod.com/shadab_shaikh/carsa.html

Thank god that's satirical, it doesn't even make sense.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Thank god that's satirical, it doesn't even make sense.

some of the references to installing apps are drawing a very long bow indeed, I suspect it was to pad it out to ten. However the rest could be argued as quite an accurate parody of apple products, remember this was written a few years ago.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

How long after would Microsoft launch a car with tiles instead of Windows...

there was a jokes about that back in the 90's too, something about if Microsoft made a car it would crash at least once a day, ever time there was a problem you'd have to turn it of and restart it.  Sometimes for no reason at all you would have to uninstall the driver and then reinstall him to get through the next set of traffic lights etc etc.

I remember there was a rebuttal from MS that went something like if apple made cars they would be fast but could only be used on 5% of the roads,  (Back then apple was not compatible with anyone else).

Elon, you have my permission to Sell Tesla as long as it is for a stupidly filthy amount of money that you then invest in more crazy and amazingly forward looking projects

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Brb everyone's cars will be vulnerable to hacking in the future

That's something that legitimately scares me. Cars running operating systems that control the entire vehicle's systems. One software flaw and you might be screwed. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I think they are just going to work together on teslas new battery factory due to it probably going to be based in the us

I used to work with Fujitsu Ten as an ebedded developer/systems engineer for Audio Visual Navigation systems  until last year, and we (Fujitsu Ten) got information that Apple and Google are gonna enter the Car Infotainment industry by 2015.

FYI, Fujitsu Ten is one of the leading Car Infotainment companies out there, partnered with multiple large car industries (*wink*wink* Mostly Jap automobile companies). And if you're wondering what the heck is "Car Infotainment", it just pertains to information and entertainment systems like your Audio Visual Navigation unit you got on most high end cars, which would most likely get hit by both Google and Apple's entry to the said market.

I mean, come on. We got a great product, you can got the usual radio, get some HD radio, internet radio, watch Movies, watch DVD, stream through your phone, get accurate navigation with complete details. Plus a "Siri" like voice control tailored for navigation system. It also could connect to your phone so that you can use it as a handsfree device, send text messages through voice, and even mirror your phone that you may play your mobile phone's games on your car.

But when you get a product that Apple and Google made. You'll imagine how many third party developers would work on such product. Currently, Third party apps are almost non-existent on Fujitsu Ten's products. And I guess that's where Apple and Google shine. They beat up the mobile phones of yesteryears because people love the interface, and the fact that the app stores were filled with goodies. And I guess, that's where they would beat the "standard" or "current" Car Infotainment leaders, which includes Fujitsu Ten, just like how Apple and Google's products beat up the former leaders on the phone world... A.K.A. Nokia.

== Edit==

And due to the fact that I just realized that I might get flamed with this one if in any case this falls under the "non-disclosure" agreement I had before, I decided to change thy email. And hopefully, my previous email does not giveaway any info regarding my identity :P since I think IP.Board might have some sort of backup blaberblahblah