Need advice for CPU and case - 3700x vs 3900x

Hello everyone,

I'm making my first configurarion ever and I'm kinda stuck in picking the right CPU and case.

I can't decide between Ryzen 7 3700x and Ryzen 9 3900x.

For case I found NZXT H500 for acceptable price, but I'm not sure will I have temperature problems.

I intend to use my new PC for gaming and for other purposes, like programming.

My configuration:

CPU: 3700x or 3900x

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X 8GB DDR6

RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 3.200MHz DDR4

SSD: 500GB Samsung Evo 860

PSU: Corsair Modular TX750M 750W Gold 80

Case: NZXT H500

Prices for CPU:

3700x - 340€

3900x - 580€

Is it worth to give 240€ for 3900x? I'm building for long term (5 years minimum).

Also, will NZXT 500 be good enough? Since it's much cheaper in my country than some popular mesh cases. I stumbled upon Inter-tech and Abconkore, but I can't find adequate information about their quality.

NZXT H500: 95€

Cooler Master H500P: 195€

Inter-Tech S 3901 Impulse RGB: 90€

Abkoncore RGB Helios 500G Sync: 90€

Unless your gonna do something that really needs many cores (VMs, Blender, etc), you should probably go with the 3700x. You can use the money to get faster RAM, which would definitely improve performance by a good bit. Might even be able to squeeze in a 2080 with the extra money. The case should be fine; I've never had any complaints with any of their hardware.

10 minutes ago, Tarry Hesticle said:

Unless your gonna do something that really needs many cores (VMs, Blender, etc), you should probably go with the 3700x. You can use the money to get faster RAM, which would definitely improve performance by a good bit. Might even be able to squeeze in a 2080 with the extra money. The case should be fine; I've never had any complaints with any of their hardware.

Cheapest 2080 is 900€, 2070s i specified is 580€. I would stick with 2070s, but will have 2080 in mind if any extra cash comes in.

For RAM I saw 3.600 is a sweetspot, but I opted for 3.200. I can only buy Corsair Vengeance 3.600 MHz, is it worth it?

Thanks for advice on NZXT and 3700x.

I honestly don't think a B450 Tomahawk have the capacity to run a 3900x, I heard 3700x is the most that class of boards can do. You didn't specify much what you are gonna use it for, so I think the 3700x will be enough.

As for the 3900x, sure it will be worth it if you need it or really really want it but from what you say I don't think you will get much benefit from it. I would rather have a beefier graphics card.

What about this case? https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c/black/

If not I would perfer the NZXT H500 or maybe the Phanteks P400A.

20 minutes ago, dejans said:

Also, will NZXT 500 be good enough? Since it's much cheaper in my country than some popular mesh cases. I stumbled upon Inter-tech and Abconkore, but I can't find adequate information about their quality.

NZXT H500: 95€

Cooler Master H500P: 195€

You'll probably find yourself dropping to base clocks under full load with a 3700x and a 2070 super in an NZXT H500. (Which technically isnt thermal throttling, it's just reducing boost clocks based on thermal headroom available)

Does your country have the Mastercase H500 (no P Mesh, no M suffix) available? It should be a lot closer to that 100 euro price than the H500P is (I'm assuming that H500P is the mesh version as well, if not stay away from it)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I honestly don't think a B450 Tomahawk have the capacity to run a 3900x, I heard 3700x is the most that class of boards can do. You didn't specify much what you are gonna use it for, so I think the 3700x will be enough.

As for the 3900x, sure it will be worth it if you need it or really really want it but from what you say I don't think you will get much benefit from it. I would rather have a beefier graphics card.

What about this case? https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c/black/

If not I would perfer the NZXT H500 or maybe the Phanteks P400A.

Tomahawk with 3900x stock yes. For OC no. That could be issue if i decide to OC.

I will use for gaming and programming.

For graphics card, 2080 is too far away with price, so I will stick with 2070S.

Meshify is 30€ more expensive, but I will check if it's available. Thanks. Phanteks is not available.

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You'll probably find yourself dropping to base clocks under full load with a 3700x and a 2070 super in an NZXT H500. (Which technically isnt thermal throttling, it's just reducing boost clocks based on thermal headroom available)

Does your country have the Mastercase H500 (no P Mesh, no M suffix) available? It should be a lot closer to that 100 euro price than the H500P is (I'm assuming that H500P is the mesh version as well, if not stay away from it)

Mastercase H500 is not available... H500P is a mesh version. 

I was afraid that will happen woth NZXT H500. Did you heard from someone or had experience with it? 

13 minutes ago, dejans said:

Cheapest 2080 is 900€, 2070s i specified is 580€. I would stick with 2070s, but will have 2080 in mind if any extra cash comes in.

For RAM I saw 3.600 is a sweetspot, but I opted for 3.200. I can only buy Corsair Vengeance 3.600 MHz, is it worth it?

Thanks for advice on NZXT and 3700x.

Yea, 3rd gen ryzen likes fast RAM, I'd recommend it. I think the vengeance stuff at 3600mhz is ~80 freedom dollars here in the US, which should be doable if you go with the 3700x.

20 minutes ago, Tarry Hesticle said:

Yea, 3rd gen ryzen likes fast RAM, I'd recommend it. I think the vengeance stuff at 3600mhz is ~80 freedom dollars here in the US, which should be doable if you go with the 3700x.

HyperX Fury is CL15 3200 MHz

Vengeance is CL16 3600 MHz

Which one you think will be better?

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

How about Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG which aDoomGuy mentioned?

3 minutes ago, dejans said:

How about Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG which aDoomGuy mentioned?

Good case. I'd recommend getting an extra fan to get the full potential from that case's airflow

3 hours ago, dejans said:

Mastercase H500 is not available... H500P is a mesh version. 

I was afraid that will happen woth NZXT H500. Did you heard from someone or had experience with it? 

MANY people have had the H500, but there's also reviews comparing them

1 cm h500 all 500s cpu

We can strongly recommend the H500 at its price-point. If you wanted the H500P Mesh but found it too expensive, this seems to be the price-break. Thermals are good, the price is good, and Cooler Master includes two options for the front panel. It’s hard to imagine many being dissatisfied with this case, unless they take issue with its appearance.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25