A New Car UI: How touch screen controls in cars should work

Ebenesh

I see what he's trying to do, but with the sheer number of functions the touch screen in a car does this isn't really feasible.

There are some features that just shouldn't be touch, such as volume control and HVAC.

Volume and source can often be controlled from the steering wheel. Passengers can look at the screen.

If it switched into that mode when driving, maybe, but as a passenger I like having more control.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Looks great. I hope something like this actually comes to cars soon. I haven't seen a car that has a good touchscreen/nav.. All of them are just terrible. 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Looks great, but i can see some things that might need to be improved

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

What I think is that every car should have a huge ass tablet inside them. They are cheap and we are already paying shit load of money for cars. No point for charging 600 bucks for just a better looking dash.

Ugh, sat in a Telsa for the Detroit auto show and hated it so much.

You cant use a touchscreen while driving and be safe. You really do need to have physical buttons and nobs for things like AC/Heat and volume. For a lot of the other things its fine to have touchscreen, but ONLY touchscreen is a horrible idea.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

cars need physical buttons and knobs, thats the only way to keep driver eyes on the road.  so you can feel around and find what you need.

the whole different fingers and spaced differently will confusing.  you wanna raise the volumn to hear whats on the radio (or whatever you're listening too), but you end up changing the source and then miss everything.  and not to mention every car manufacturer will have different fingers for different things

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

It won't take off, this display has no haptic feedback, so with the exception of audio volume,  all other inputs that do not have an instant response and will cause the driver to look and see that it is doing what it is supposed to.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hell no!, a car UI even if it is touch needs buttons, it would be great with haptic feedback (sound or vibration) an anti-glare display and being able to use it with gloves. All of this multi-gesture multi-finger UI is destracting. I agree that Nowadays cars have horrible UI but if they just make it all a single colour (maybe black & white) have big easy to read buttons, a glove sensitive anti-glare display And the HVAC SEPARATED from the multmedia/satnav screen they would nail it. 

Oh and volume and some other hardware keys like the home, call, end, mute, etc... need to be physical.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I'd never buy a vehicle that didn't have a physical volume knob and buttons for presets. The new Dodges are all touchscreen for presets/changing channels and it drives me nuts.

I'd never buy a vehicle that didn't have a physical volume knob and buttons for presets. The new Dodges are all touchscreen for presets/changing channels and it drives me nuts.

One of my favourite car stereo is this:

volkswagen-uk-standard-dab-radio-from-po

It just looks so elegant and simple.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I get scared just trying to find the defroster no way am I going be using a touch screen in a car.

Controls on the wheel are a must for me.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

wasnt apple working with some car company to make a headunit? also this is cool but how would u remember all those actions :S

cool idea

Desktop 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2GHz Mobo: Asus X99 Strix GPU: 2x Asus Strix 970 RAM: 32GB Corsair vengeance 2400MHz, SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB, 2x Intel 520 256GB HDD: 2TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx Tempered Glass Monitor: Asus PG278Q, Asus PB278

Laptop 

Spoiler

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 256GB 8GB RAM

Server 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2620 v4 Mobo: Asus X99-A RAM: 32GB Corsair vengeance 2400MHz SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) RAID Controller: Adaptec RAID 81605ZQ, HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL HDD: 12x WD 4TB Red Case: Norcotek RPC4224

Meh. Easier to install a tablet into your car & have some of the controls right in front of you either on the steering wheel or on the dash in front of the driver.

Touch should only work if your car is not moving, outside of that they should be on the steering wheel or voice controlled. AND before you all jump down my throat about voice control, just make it better all right all ready, lets make sci-fi real :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly