RAM speed for a new computer

Go to solution Solved by techy_akshay,

The idea is simple,

1. Either go with 3200 or 3600 will be the best.

2. Never go for the single channel RAM. At least go for the dual channel RAM Sticks. And, for the time being, the bottomline will be 2*8GB. Never compromise with 'RAM bottolnecking'.

Hi everyone, I´m going to build a new computer (specs bellow), but i don´t really know how much RAM speed should I put. The specs are: a Ryzen 5 3600, a MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Super Ventus XS 4G OC GDDR6, a MSI Micro-ATX B450M PRO-VDH Max and 8GB of RAM. Any advice or sugestion? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Guilherme Gigante said:

Hi everyone, I´m going to build a new computer (specs bellow), but i don´t really know how much RAM speed should I put. The specs are: a Ryzen 5 3600, a MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Super Ventus XS 4G OC GDDR6, a MSI Micro-ATX B450M PRO-VDH Max and 8GB of RAM. Any advice or sugestion? Thanks!

3200Mhz 2x4GB or better is my suggestion.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Why not go with 16GB?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

29 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if you're only going for 8gb of ram, make sure it's a 2x4gb kit. as for speed, 3600 is the sweet spot for 3000 series ryzen, but 3200 will be ok as well.

Later on, I might upgrade to 16GB of RAM, so in that case i shouldn´t put 2x4GB kit. So, between 3200 and 3600 is great? Thanks!

28 minutes ago, minibois said:

3200Mhz 2x4GB or better is my suggestion.

I will upgrade to 16GB so it´s better to be 1x8GB right now. But thanks for the 3200Mhz!

25 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Why not go with 16GB?

It will be a future upgrade!

Just now, Guilherme Gigante said:

It will be a future upgrade!

A word of advice. Try to get matching sticks if youre planning to upgrade down the line. When I say matching I mean same model number from the same manufacturer as some MoBos are finnicky.

Ideally you want to run a Ryzen processor with TWO ram kits to enable dual channel support. Ryzen ends up being memory bandwidth starved with a single stick of ram (which would work in single channel). 

If you end up mixing and matching sticks or doing the most evil thing of say having 2 4gb sticks and then adding an 8gb one, the memory controller will likely freak out somewhat and either run in single channel mode, or slow down the memory timings (These are the funny numbers beyond "3000 Mhz!!!!!!"), and this would kill performance

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

2 minutes ago, Guilherme Gigante said:

I will upgrade to 16GB so it´s better to be 1x8GB right now. But thanks for the 3200Mhz!

Don't go single channel memory!

Your motherboard has four slots for memory, so if you choose 2x4GB, that still gives room to go to 16GB.

Single channel memory (which you would have with 1x8GB of memory) would be noticably worse in gaming than dual channel memory.

Proof: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/dual-channel-vs-single-channel-ram-impact-of-memory-on-gaming-performance-in-ryzen-3000-processors/

In short, this user tested different scenarios with 2400Mhz and 3600Mhz in single channel and dual channel.

Just one example:

image-4-2.png

The average and especially the low fps numbers are so much worse on single channel memory.

Either spend a bit more and get a 2x8GB set now, or go for 2x4GB.

You're crippling your system with single channel memory.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3200 is great, but 3600 is the sweet spot. Any higher and I believe infinity fabric will have an issue with it.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

The idea is simple,

2. Never go for the single channel RAM. At least go for the dual channel RAM Sticks. And, for the time being, the bottomline will be 2*8GB. Never compromise with 'RAM bottolnecking'.

2 hours ago, RyzenDoctor said:

A word of advice. Try to get matching sticks if youre planning to upgrade down the line. When I say matching I mean same model number from the same manufacturer as some MoBos are finnicky.

Ideally you want to run a Ryzen processor with TWO ram kits to enable dual channel support. Ryzen ends up being memory bandwidth starved with a single stick of ram (which would work in single channel). 

If you end up mixing and matching sticks or doing the most evil thing of say having 2 4gb sticks and then adding an 8gb one, the memory controller will likely freak out somewhat and either run in single channel mode, or slow down the memory timings (These are the funny numbers beyond "3000 Mhz!!!!!!"), and this would kill performance

Yes, i don´t think that I would do that. Probably, I will buy an 8GB stick and then, other 8GB stick with the same specs. Thanks for the advice!

2 hours ago, minibois said:

Don't go single channel memory!

Your motherboard has four slots for memory, so if you choose 2x4GB, that still gives room to go to 16GB.

Single channel memory (which you would have with 1x8GB of memory) would be noticably worse in gaming than dual channel memory.

Proof: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/dual-channel-vs-single-channel-ram-impact-of-memory-on-gaming-performance-in-ryzen-3000-processors/

In short, this user tested different scenarios with 2400Mhz and 3600Mhz in single channel and dual channel.

Just one example:

image-4-2.png

The average and especially the low fps numbers are so much worse on single channel memory.

Either spend a bit more and get a 2x8GB set now, or go for 2x4GB.

You're crippling your system with single channel memory.

Firt of all, thanks for the advice. If I only buy one RAM right now it will be temporary, but I will check the prices for 2x8GB RAM. If the price stick with my budget, I would invest in both sitcks. As you said, the performance will increase. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

3200 is great, but 3600 is the sweet spot. Any higher and I believe infinity fabric will have an issue with it.

Thanks! 3200 or 3600, check!

1 hour ago, techy_akshay said:

The idea is simple,

Ok, I will check the prices for 2x8GB. Thanks!

A 16GB kit should be around 80 bucks. They are not too bad. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 hour ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

A 16GB kit should be around 80 bucks. They are not too bad. 

It depends, here in Europe they are about 85/95 EUR. They are more expensive.

20 minutes ago, Guilherme Gigante said:

It depends, here in Europe they are about 85/95 EUR. They are more expensive.

Yeah that is a bit. But either way, better to have 16GB than 8. Trust me, you will thank yourself later. 

10 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Yeah that is a bit. But either way, better to have 16GB than 8. Trust me, you will thank yourself later. 

Yup, I belive. Thanks!