Building a 100TB Folding@Home Server!

jakkuh_t

Due to the massive influx of people donating their processing power to the Folding@Home project their work servers have actually been completely overloaded, but LTT was ready for the call. So in today's video, we build our OWN Folding@Home work server to help in the fight against Covid-19!

Check out the limited edition Folding@Home x LTT shirt with 100% of the profits going directly to help fight Covid-19, matched by Intel up to $40,000:  https://lmg.gg/7RMkX

Buy Kingston ECC DDR4 Memory
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/RAVR
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/FczrqQ
On BHPhoto (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/OIBR

Buy E5 2697 v3 Processor
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/KdDOh6
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/eUDY
On BHPhoto (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/utNZapA

Buy Ironwolf Pro 12TB Drives
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0ArB5
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/isUTvZ
On BHPhoto (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/NL7s 

Buy Intel Optane SSD
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/gbUZD
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ECCeb
On BHPhoto (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/SRWJ

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Finally! I thought this was supposed to be uploaded a week ago according to one of the wan shows

image.jpeg.76ea7deb2a795eacade152acc21de715.jpeg

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Anyone has the link with the instructions on how to configure the server? I will try to get 1 or 2 up and running with similar specs to the one in this video.

Now im curious aboot Zpool and how to set that up so i can have some cached wu's

Made the push to join the cause because of their first video (kept meaning to but never bothered before) would love to setup a server to help but don’t have the ability😣

1 hour ago, NetoriusNick said:

Made the push to join the cause because of their first video (kept meaning to but never bothered before) would love to setup a server to help but don’t have the ability😣

Sounds like they also don't make that easy to do. So hopefully that's something Folding@Home will be changing so they can allow volunteers to set up servers. But then the workers are intended to be able to come and go. Servers have to be dedicated.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

2 hours ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Anyone has the link with the instructions on how to configure the server? I will try to get 1 or 2 up and running with similar specs to the one in this video.

As he says at the end they're not handling the software, F@H guys do it - the servers aren't something you can just set up yourself, so you'd want to contact them directly.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

As he says at the end they're not handling the software, F@H guys do it - the servers aren't something you can just set up yourself, so you'd want to contact them directly.

Must have missed that part. Thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, grzegorzkogr said:

What is a name of this case?

Anyone know?

If you meant the storage cabinet, it seems to be a Norco C-42U Rack Cabinet.

If you're referring to the individual rack chassis, I believe it's an iStarUSA M-280-JB -- I can't be 100% sure.

Storage Cabinet Sources:

Spoiler

Server Cabinet (Timestamp: 0:04😞

Also LTT Server Rack (thread) answered by BrinkGG.

Individual Rack Chassis Sources:

Spoiler

External Layout Comparison

Spoiler

1790071954_LMGServer-Exterior1.png.8a12d3b94512cbf4725455f9ac93a758.png761172997_LMGServer-Exterior2.png.0b98ebe6a4df58c8d35efcc5d7f90d1c.png

LMG's Folding Server Rack

M-280-JB_02.jpgM-280-JB_01.jpg

iStarUSA M-280-JB Server Rack

Internal Layout Comparison

Spoiler

988537833_LMGServer-Internal.png.a95df5e00a42af355b6d6ca09bc7207c.png

LMG Folding Server Rack

M-280-JB_09.jpg

iStarUSA M-280-JB Server Rack

Notable Similarities:

• 8 Hot-Swappable Bays.
  • PSU and MOBO Layout.
  • No front USB 3.0 (look closely at the Jake pic), so it probably isn't the iStarUSA M-280-MATX.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Linus please stop dropping things... It's not helping.

(highlighted part is up time)

image.thumb.png.01554c3d2e3494d6c1d3bfa66b6c73a9.png

I’m curious if they keep this server running long term. They’ve already done all of the work and they can always lower its bandwidth allocation after this epidemic has ended. It’s a great use for their older hardware and I’m pretty sure Seagate provided the storage. Either way nice job LMG.

Love seeing ZFS content on LTT! Especially when leveraged for a good cause!

One thing I noticed is that they've built their ZFS system with a strong focus on ARC/L2ARC, but I'm interested to know how much that'll help with this workload. (L2)ARC is generally most effective when you have data that is read often. Are the researchers likely to be pulling the same datasets quite often?

Adding a slog device — a dedicated write cache device — might also help with this workload since it'll improve write performance. A slog normally introduces additional risk, since data sits for a while on a non-redundant disk (although, you can even use a pair of mirrored disks for this), but this workload is unique in that the data generated by individual jobs isn't critical to the health of the dataset as a whole.

Given that chassis, I'd probably do something similar to Linus but with the addition of a pair of slog SSDs. Luckily, slogs can be added to a zpool even after the zpool has been created and filled with data! So if you're planning a follow-up video...

Definitely plan on snagging a shirt, but not sure how I feel on $9 shipping for a shirt - I can see $2-3 as that's what I pay ShirtPunch for their shirts coming from Ontario into the US

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

1 hour ago, DarthBaggins said:

Definitely plan on snagging a shirt, but not sure how I feel on $9 shipping for a shirt - I can see $2-3 as that's what I pay ShirtPunch for their shirts coming from Ontario into the US

How are you getting it for $2-3 from them? Being in Ontario I am seeing $6, or are you adding as many shirts to lower the cost of shipping per? As I've stated in a different topic the shipping costs from them are not the worst I've seen. Also you are comparing a tech company to a print shop. A print shop could push out a 52ft trailer a day/week in merchandise if big enough for a flat fee, where as LMG can't get such discounts. Not to mention they could ship out threw a 3rd party transport company charging by the truck/skid/trailer % etc not touching any shipper in Canada saving money that way, many many many luxuries a company selling Merch as a side money maker simply does not have either because of lack of sales or the logistics of it would each away from any savings to the customers in their profits. If some how you are getting $9 for 1 shirt, don't complain, I paid $12.99, a very expensive price once put into Canadian Dollars for 1 shirt. 

This will likely be the only time I'm going to be buying from LTT esp if they decide to use the money from the tees towards a persons salary to keep face masks in production (esp if they can afford to pay it themselves, most people are volunteering to do such work also). Seriously, if LTT can float such a cost my money is better spent elsewhere helping others.

Im not complaining, just not getting how it would cost that much - but if that's what it is then that's what it is.  As I said I was going to buy one either way and was wondering about the cost.  Also I've ordered merch from them in the past - the reason why I have a Linus DSA Profiled keycap along with some other things.  I've been folding for nearly a decade now and is something I support largely due to the research that goes into Cancer and Alzheimer's - but due to current events am more than happy to aid in the charge against this where I can. 

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

7 hours ago, RingaDingDingDong said:

Hey guys. What software does jake use to config the server? Thanks 

Termius - SSH client, it's a native W10 store app. You will find it in the Microsoft Store. There is also an android and iOS app.

I quite like the look of it but I find myself still using cygwin (mintty and Furacode NERDFONT patched) for my terminal client. 

It's great that you guys not only threw together a 6 GPU folding rig but also went the extra mile to set up a WU server.

Congrats also for topping 50k active users and pushing 5 billion PPD!!! Way to make an impact.

What disappoints me, however, is the number of those out there with an online presence who don't even have a folding team to speak of (shame on you Paul, Kyle, Jason, Justine, MKBHD). Never mind those teams from Engadget, HP, Apple etc.. and the various university/college teams that are barely making a dent in the standings. Don't these people, along with their followers, feel any importance to this cause or for fighting debilitating illnesses in general???

25 minutes ago, Luscious said:

What disappoints me, however, is the number of those out there with an online presence who don't even have a folding team to speak of (shame on you Paul, Kyle, Jason, Justine, MKBHD). Never mind those teams from Engadget, HP, Apple etc.. and the various university/college teams that are barely making a dent in the standings. Don't these people, along with their followers, feel any importance to this cause or for fighting debilitating illnesses in general???

Hm. In their defense, some of the channels you've mentioned have released videos asking people to aid and showing people how they can aid the folding effort.

Paul's Hardware

Spoiler

Engadget

Spoiler

Also, not everyone may be in a position to contribute to folding efforts or to fold enough to "leave a dent" in the rankings. May I quote from GOTSpectrum:

8 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

No issues with them folding for any team, all folds are good folds!

Perhaps some people aren't as hyped about folding as you or I, or are prioritizing their own situations over aiding the research effort, or have small folding teams that aren't folding 24/7. That's fine. We can't control what other people do, but we can control what we do. We know we're doing good work, and we should feel proud of ourselves and our team for it, not berate or pressure other people for not following suit or for not meeting standards.

Lead by example, not by force.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Perhaps some people aren't as hyped about folding as you or I, or are prioritizing their own situations over aiding the research effort, or have small folding teams that aren't folding 24/7. That's fine. We can't control what other people do, but we can control what we do. We know we're doing good work, and we should feel proud of ourselves and our team for it, not berate or pressure other people for not following suit or for not meeting standards.

Have to say that is one of the better quotes you could have picked!

No matter if you are folding 10,000 points a day or 1,000,000,000, you are part of the solution!

Stay safe, keep your distance and continue to be part of the solution. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, DarthBaggins said:

Im not complaining, just not getting how it would cost that much - but if that's what it is then that's what it is.  As I said I was going to buy one either way and was wondering about the cost.  Also I've ordered merch from them in the past - the reason why I have a Linus DSA Profiled keycap along with some other things.  I've been folding for nearly a decade now and is something I support largely due to the research that goes into Cancer and Alzheimer's - but due to current events am more than happy to aid in the charge against this where I can. 

For a 6x6x1 in package, going to Canada only. So I technically overpaid after conversion. So now I'm curious as to how and who it's actually going to be shipped by, or are they going to ship it in this massive box weighting 10 pounds? (last thing I shipped that was about $21 to ship)

image.png.e094e42b327883d4fe30dde6dac09900.png

As to why it costs them so much is because of Canada since our mail system isn't subsidized like the US (mentioned on a wan show ages ago), if they decide to go with someone else (stupid idea) it'll obviously cost more. Personally my biggest grief about any Canadian Site unwilling to accept Canadian Dollars is just that, because while I can see buying things on Amazon USA for product reviews would be beneficial their day to day activities are in Canadian, so they will lose 2%+ of all money towards conversion not to mention costing Canadians the same. It's really not hard to create a dynamic canadian dollar conversion on their own website to avoid such fees, most days a daily update is good enough. Doing so would be cheaper for both buyers and them.

As for folding I have known about it for about 12ish years but none of my computers till a few years ago could handle it w/o limiting my abilities to use them.

Anyone know graphing web UI Jake is using towards the end of the video?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before somewhere else, and my google fu was to no avail.. What are they using to manage the server? They showed it so far in two of their Folding at home videos, and I cannot for the life of me find a name or a matching logo on google haha.

Capture.PNG