Can I activate Windows 8.1 with an 8 key?

terrytek
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

-> Windows 8 key is for Windows 8, not 8.1.

-> You can upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 for free. You won't get another key. See it like a Service pack. XP SP2 keys don't work in XP SP1 or XP vanilla. But if you have XP vanilla you can upgrade to SP1 and SP2 just fine.

-> If you have Media Center key, which you got when you had Windows 8, and not 8.1, then you need to enable it BEFORE you upgrade to 8.1. Once under Windows 8.1 it will not be recognized. That is why you have people buying new devices and trying to use one of their extra free keys they got for Media Center + DVD codec for free special, and it ends up having Windows 8.1 not activate, and phone activation won't work, even if you talk to the person.

I hope this answers all your questions and concerns.

title says all. I only have a Windows 8 key, and I don't want to waste money on a new key.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If anything you can activate win 8 and then update.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

If anything you can activate win 8 and then update.

So you're simply saying no?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So you're simply saying no?

I'm unsure but 8 -> 8.1 is a free update, it's essentially a service pack.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

You can install windows 8 and then update to 8.1.  That's what I did.

I already installed 8, genius.

Then simply update to 8.1 through the app store thing ma jiggy

Why risk it install win 8 then dl the update it aint that big

OMG, can you not understand? I already installed Windows 8.

calm down there only trying to help

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Then it's ok. Activate 8, and then upgrade and it'll activate automatically.

I am wanting to do the same thing. i have a Win 8 Key but have been using 8.1. I like to reinstall after every few months but can't stand having to reinstall 8 then all the updates to finally go to 8.1 then all the updates. So yea, I "got" a 8.1 ISO and am running it. I do plan to put my key in, but right now, due to being locked for 30 days for changing account verification method, I have yet to. ...but I'm hoping as stated above I can at some point..

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

You cannot use an 8 key to install from the 8.1 ISO. Install the 8.1 iso using a generic key (google search it) then go to computer>properties and click on change key, enter your 8 key.

Was the attitude necessary?  I know that you already installed 8,  what I was saying is that you can update to 8.1 for free.  Also, you never came out and said that you already installed 8.  

You shouldn't be asking for help, and then getting mad at people for offering advise that "You already knew, genius".

-> Windows 8 key is for Windows 8, not 8.1.

-> You can upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 for free. You won't get another key. See it like a Service pack. XP SP2 keys don't work in XP SP1 or XP vanilla. But if you have XP vanilla you can upgrade to SP1 and SP2 just fine.

-> If you have Media Center key, which you got when you had Windows 8, and not 8.1, then you need to enable it BEFORE you upgrade to 8.1. Once under Windows 8.1 it will not be recognized. That is why you have people buying new devices and trying to use one of their extra free keys they got for Media Center + DVD codec for free special, and it ends up having Windows 8.1 not activate, and phone activation won't work, even if you talk to the person.

I hope this answers all your questions and concerns.

No.

Microsoft, presumably while in an annoying mood, decided that windows 8 keys would not work with Windows 8.1, despite the fact that it's a free upgrade. You need to activate the windows 8 key before upgrading to 8.1, but then it will (obviously) remain activated.

If you have already installed 8.1, you can either reinstall windows 8, use the key, then upgrade, or you can buy a new key. Unfortunately there don't seem to be other options.

Source: google and experience.

HTTP/2 203