Can a mod please delete my account?

You get a lot less performance for the same amount of money. If you can only have one device then a laptop makes sense. 

well a laptop is always going to be more expensive with the increased complexity. a lot fo the components are always completely proprietary

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

1 minute ago, VotingCanadian said:

I've been on the PCMR discord server, the subreddit and their forum. I've generally seen some people finding laptops/gaming laptops worse than PC's (at the same price range). Why is this? I think a gaming laptop is great for a person that doesn't have the time/knowledge to built a PC and also wants the option of portability.

EDIT: Not only in the PCMR community.

Gaming laptops often have poor cooling solutions, meaning they run loud/hot and sometimes even throttle.

They also - except for RAM and memory - cannot be upgraded, which is something anyone defining as 'PCMR' would very much dislike.

Often people in these communities would rather suggest a cheap laptop and good PC, over a gaming laptop.

Personally I am not much of a fan of these laptops either, but I see the reason they exist.

I just wish some companies did a bit of a better job on these devices.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Some buy a laptop but never bring it outside? You have to ask them

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

You spend more to get:

1. Worse performance to an equally priced desktop

2. Shitty thermals

3. Mediocre keyboards and trackpads (usually)

4. Can't even use them as a laptop since they're almost always big, heavy, and always have shit battery life

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The biggest problem I personally have with gaming laptops is cooling. You're essentially trying to fit a full gaming PC into a case that's usually an inch thick, which is always gonna cause cooling problems. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Gaming laptops suit someone who has multiple places where they base themselves and move often. Such as someone who has multiple homes or is away from home somewhere more temporary for parts of the week or month.

This can be common for anyone in education or their first few years of work when they are yet to settle anywhere and may still frequent their parents house.

Gaming laptops do have a place and a purpose, for those who have the need they are a lifesaver when it comes to gaming.

There are probably some who should have just bought one or even two PCs instead but you will have to ask those people why.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

28 minutes ago, VotingCanadian said:

I've been on the PCMR discord server, the subreddit and their forum. I've generally seen some people finding laptops/gaming laptops worse than PC's (at the same price range). Why is this? I think a gaming laptop is great for a person that doesn't have the time/knowledge to built a PC and also wants the option of portability.

EDIT: Not only in the PCMR community.

They are generally more expensive than their PC equivalent and run hotter.

A $500 PC is usually much more powerful than a $500 laptop

There’s an argument to be made in terms of the price to performance factor not being there for laptops like it is on a desktop, but you’ll generally gain portability. For some a gaming laptop doesn’t offer enough of that as they’ll generally compromise heavily on battery life and thermals to give you that in a more compact form factor, but for others it’s enough of everything for them to be more justifiable than a gaming desktop of some sort. 

Personally, I own my powerful-enough desktop for when I don’t care to move around and an entertainment laptop for when I wanna use my shit on my bed or if I’m out somewhere.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

As everyone else has mentioned compromise is the big one, but comparable performance because of design restrictions is another huge factor. Thermals matter, you make the space smaller and reduce airflow and it goes down. I think they would get a lot less grief if they gave mobile gpus entirely different names to desktop variants or gave them the extra power to perform like the desktop gpus with the same name.
Also, they are a steeper learning curve. A laptop gamer that goes deep into it tends to have to learn to understand more when it comes to tweaking, troubleshooting, maintainence etc as few laptops have as much of a community to turn to as desktop components, so there are less complete step by step guides for stuff. (There are exceptions - alienware r series, razer blade etc but generally speaking they dont have the same longevity due to the nature of laptops and the inconvenience of repairs and limits on upgradability).

Bought a sweet gaming laptop so that i can game while I travel. I was going to teach English in china... after that went down the drain I was going to teach in Italy... for obvious reasons I am now staying with my parents (UK) for a bit longer than anticipated but at least I have this sweet laptop to keep me occupied.

Edited by upchur09
spelling

With all of the game streaming providers popping up a gaming laptop is becoming even worse of am investment.

If you have a decent internet connection and a decent gaming pc you can also stream from it via various options like steam streaming, nvidia streaming, etc.

So I still think buying a much cheaper, but still decent laptop is the best route to take. Then take advantage of all the other ways to play your games via streaming.  I mean for 450-600 you can get a very respectable laptop with integrated graphics.  For another 700-800 you can build a pretty solid budgeting gaming pc.

The above setup would have much more gaming power than a 1500-1800 dollar laptop in most cases. Then since the home machine is doing the heavy lifting the temps and battery life on the laptop would be excellent.

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

With all of the game streaming providers popping up a gaming laptop is becoming even worse of am investment.

If you have a decent internet connection and a decent gaming pc you can also stream from it via various options like steam streaming, nvidia streaming, etc.

So I still think buying a much cheaper, but still decent laptop is the best route to take. Then take advantage of all the other ways to play your games via streaming.  I mean for 450-600 you can get a very respectable laptop with integrated graphics.  For another 700-800 you can build a pretty solid budgeting gaming pc.

The above setup would have much more gaming power than a 1500-1800 dollar laptop in most cases. Then since the home machine is doing the heavy lifting the temps and battery life on the laptop would be excellent.

Counterpoint to this.

1) Most people outside of cities do not in fact have a good enough Internet connection to do streaming.

2) Even for those of us who do have a good internet connection many people (such as myself) like to play games to pass the time on trains, buses, et cetera, where the wifi, if present at all, is never good enough for streaming

3) Steam streaming only works for Steam games. Nvidia streaming only for Nvidia-equipped systems. Some of us have large collections on GoG.com or other services not to mention first-party launchers making Steam streaming limited at best. Nvidia streaming does not work at all unless your system is nVdida GPU equipped ruling it out for a lot of people

3) Game streaming is not a good solution. It is often laggy, sometimes to the point of unworkability, and generally complicated and confusing. Compare this to running a game from steam, which requires three clicks from the desktop

4) A gaming laptop is not necessarily expensive. While I agree that expensive gaming laptops are not a great value, budget ones such as the Acer Nitro 5 offer very respectable performance handling most AAA titles at 1080p 60 high settings, and are often available in the $750 range, only $150 more than what you suggest spending on a game streaming semi-thin client. With a budget gaming laptop such as the Nitro 5 you also get the advantage of being able to do work such as basic CAD or video/image editing on the go which, to my knowledge, is not possible to stream from a desktop without a lot of complication.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

49 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Counterpoint to this.

1) Most people outside of cities do not in fact have a good enough Internet connection to do streaming.

2) Even for those of us who do have a good internet connection many people (such as myself) like to play games to pass the time on trains, buses, et cetera, where the wifi, if present at all, is never good enough for streaming

3) Steam streaming only works for Steam games. Nvidia streaming only for Nvidia-equipped systems. Some of us have large collections on GoG.com or other services not to mention first-party launchers making Steam streaming limited at best. Nvidia streaming does not work at all unless your system is nVdida GPU equipped ruling it out for a lot of people

3) Game streaming is not a good solution. It is often laggy, sometimes to the point of unworkability, and generally complicated and confusing. Compare this to running a game from steam, which requires three clicks from the desktop

4) A gaming laptop is not necessarily expensive. While I agree that expensive gaming laptops are not a great value, budget ones such as the Acer Nitro 5 offer very respectable performance handling most AAA titles at 1080p 60 high settings, and are often available in the $750 range, only $150 more than what you suggest spending on a game streaming semi-thin client. With a budget gaming laptop such as the Nitro 5 you also get the advantage of being able to do work such as basic CAD or video/image editing on the go which, to my knowledge, is not possible to stream from a desktop without a lot of complication.

If you are paying for a streaming service I think 25-40 mbps is plenty

You have a valid point on number two, but it is still doable if you go with one of the higher cost providers like verizon.

On point 3 these were just two options I tossed out that are readily available and easy to setup for pretty much anyone. There are a handful of other solutions. Btw you can add ANY game to steam and launch it via steam streaming. For example I can add WoW to it and play if I wanted and I have done it in the past.

On point 3b... I would say it depends on a lot of factors. If you are wanting to play a very competitive fps game at a high level then yes... it will make a difference. On other games though it isn't really an issue.

Lastly. The specs on that nitro would be much worse than my proposed system. I can easily purchase a 4th gen i7 enterprise dell/hp machine and toss in a 1050, 1050ti, 1650, etc. Which would cost me 300ish in total. You can build a 6 core rx580 or better build for 500-600 new.

I actually have a pi4 I use for streaming 4k gaming to a tv in my house (for when I am on dad duty). I have also taken it on vacations with a wireless m/kb for our teenager to play on. It also doubles as a plex box too.

On 3/18/2020 at 8:37 PM, AngryBeaver said:

If you are paying for a streaming service I think 25-40 mbps is plenty

You have a valid point on number two, but it is still doable if you go with one of the higher cost providers like verizon.

On point 3 these were just two options I tossed out that are readily available and easy to setup for pretty much anyone. There are a handful of other solutions. Btw you can add ANY game to steam and launch it via steam streaming. For example I can add WoW to it and play if I wanted and I have done it in the past.

On point 3b... I would say it depends on a lot of factors. If you are wanting to play a very competitive fps game at a high level then yes... it will make a difference. On other games though it isn't really an issue.

Lastly. The specs on that nitro would be much worse than my proposed system. I can easily purchase a 4th gen i7 enterprise dell/hp machine and toss in a 1050, 1050ti, 1650, etc. Which would cost me 300ish in total. You can build a 6 core rx580 or better build for 500-600 new.

I actually have a pi4 I use for streaming 4k gaming to a tv in my house (for when I am on dad duty). I have also taken it on vacations with a wireless m/kb for our teenager to play on. It also doubles as a plex box too.

As regards the specs on the Nitro, yes they are worse than such a PC you are talking about, but that doesn't matter. Last I checked what mattered to most people was the gaming performance and given that I own a laptop with very similar specs to the Nitro 5 (XPS 15) in every area that matters for gaming performance I can say from experience that that sort of specs can play just about anything you'd like at 1080p high/ultra with 60+ fps and often over 100 even on more intensive titles

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they