Is amazon a good place to buy PC parts?

IVR Albino

Im asking everyone I know, even on reddit, and I have no answers... PLS HELP

Amazon CAN be a good place to buy parts, but it's always best to check out multiple sites to see if you can get better prices. When I built my PC I used https://pcpartpicker.com which gave me multiple options for each part I was looking at. By the end I bought all my components from multiple different websites (Memory Express, Canada Computers, Amazon, Vuugo, and maybe another I'm forgetting). Ended up working from home for 2 days though so that I was at home while everything was on its way to me. Just something to consider -- it will definitely be easier (for the most part) if you buy everything from one vendor so that it (hopefully) arrives in one delivery. But that doesn't mean that one vendor will have the best prices for each item.

Yes and no. Depends on your location.

Amazon has some of the cheapest prices on PC parts and quite often, free shipping too.

But taxes can ruin a deal, quick.

For us in Quebec, we get taxed the whole 15% on amazon on nearly everything.

As such, buying off Newegg which has a higher base price and expensive shipping... Turned to be cheaper because they also only charge 5% taxes (physical presence in the country, but not in the province, hence only 5%).

What I'd suggest is checking multiple stores and see the final price, shipping and taxes included, before pulling the trigger on where you buy your parts.

Also for Amazon, look into a browser extension called "Keepa". It will let you know if the "deal" is really such a good deal, with the product's price history. Quite often, it isn't.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I bought all of my parts on Amazon and I had no complaints. Their fast shipping honestly is worth the extra price premium over other places like NewEgg.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Yes and no. Depends on your location.

Amazon has some of the cheapest prices on PC parts and quite often, free shipping too.

But taxes can ruin a deal, quick.

For us in Quebec, we get taxed the whole 15% on amazon on nearly everything.

As such, buying off Newegg which has a higher base price and expensive shipping... Turned to be cheaper because they also only charge 5% taxes (physical presence in the country, but not in the province, hence only 5%).

What I'd suggest is checking multiple stores and see the final price, shipping and taxes included, before pulling the trigger on where you buy your parts.

Also for Amazon, look into a browser extension called "Keepa". It will let you know if the "deal" is really such a good deal, with the product's price history. Quite often, it isn't.

Thank-you fellow Quebecer. Had no idea that certain websites only charge 5%.

Mm, if I can't get the parts from my local Micro Center (great after-sales service) or Best Buy (price matching), then I usually turn to Amazon or Newegg. Although, I am currently dealing with a delayed Newegg order, and they aren't leaving the best impression on me right now... Anyway, back on topic: Where Amazon really shines is their expedited (2-day, I believe) free shipping if you sign up for their Amazon Prime membership. Their return policy is also great, according to other people, and their site is set up so that communication with third-party sellers is usually convenient.

If your order or shipment runs into any problems, Amazon's usually got your back.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Individual one off purchases yes, as long as they are fully researched etc.

For buying a whole system nothing beats companies like SCAN where you get amazing prices and quick delivery.

I wouldn’t use SCAN for lower total cost purchases as the deliver cost is too high vs amazon.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

just use pcpartpicker, it automatically sources your prices, and can even if you want set it to source all from one site like amazon. 
amazon in isolation isn't a great experience for looking for pc parts, there filters aren't granular enough, if you know what you want then its fine. 

the one negative about amazon and free delivery, I recently lost 2 motherboards 32gb of ram and a Ryzen 5 CPU when the whole package was left in a stupid place, and it got stolen! 

with most other suppliers they get that what you are buying can be expensive, so they have more robust delivery. 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

You can always read the reviews to see if it worth buying or not.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:11 PM, IVR Albino said:

Amazon doesn't usually make the parts themselves, they allow other sellers to use their website to sell their products. So the part quality really depends on who is selling it, not necessarily Amazon. The biggest difference will be price, so shop around different websites for the same product. But anecdotally, I've had good luck with them when purchasing individual parts. They were not always the cheapest but they had the fastest shipping and the easiest return process, so take that as you will. 

I do some of the time but I hate looking for products on it. Amazon’s search and filters suck 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I do 50% amazon, 40% Newegg and 10% manufacturers.

Their product descriptions are poor and sometimes fulse so I carefully research anything I buy there.

The draw is that I am a Prime member so fast, free shipping.  The downside is that they have some laze drivers.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

varies and if you have prime because sometimes there are some good prime deals on there at times.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Shipping times for electronics are over a month right now on Amazon. So at the moment, it's not a great place to buy any electronics if you're in the US. Not sure about other areas. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 3/18/2020 at 12:11 PM, IVR Albino said:

From my experience, I got Half of my pc parts from amazon and the other from Newegg. It depends on what parts you want and where your located (which many have already pointed out). Make a pc part picker list and it should automatically compare the price for you but amazon usually delivers faster in my experience. Just go with which ever makes you more comfortable or cheaper.

I buy most of my parts off Amazon,  however I have done that mostly due to earning free amazon gift cards from websites.  I just upgraded my MOBO, CPU, Ram and a nvme ssd for free on amazon.