LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

Go pick a fight with PCMR's fold team 😜

We already are, look at my last post here!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I do know that LMG could be possibly currently maybe working on a Folding vid right now!!!!!

Now that would be rad!

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

We already are, look at my last post here!

I know :D If only I had the funds to build my second machine... Would have 2 computers folding away. This one with the 1030 and a Ryzen 9 3900x with all the goodies attached.

Sadly I work in food industry in the US where you make damn near $100k worth of food a week on a slow week and you're only making a few hundred dollars every 2 weeks.

Just now, leadeater said:

240 RAD or 360 RAD?

420 Rad if you in Canada!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

420 Rad if you in Canada!

I would love to have an Icebaer 420mm. Bet that would never get moved by my current CPU

Damm PCMR is really killing it... I do my best to help but I didn't have any luck the last dag and a half...

Just now, LordKitsune said:

I would love to have an Icebaer 420mm. Bet that would never get moved by my current CPU

Don't question it but I have 3x 480mm and 2x 360mm, the 63mm thick ones too.

Just barely enough for 2x 290X    /jk

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

Damm PCMR is really killing it... I do my best to help but I didn't have any luck the last dag and a half...

Id say we are doing much better...

They are making only 20M more points per day as of last update with 18,000 more folders.... not really killing it IMO

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Don't question it but I have 3x 480mm and 2x 360mm, the 63mm thick ones too.

Just barely enough for 2x 290X    /jk

I didn't see that jk at first. Was about to ask if you had broken the 10ghz barrier until I saw it lmao.

I want to try - someday - making a refrigerated build, but do it better than how Linus did a couple of years ago. :D

4 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

I didn't see that jk at first. Was about to ask if you had broken the 10ghz barrier until I saw it lmao.

I want to try - someday - making a refrigerated build, but do it better than how Linus did a couple of years ago. :D

I actually only have 1x 480mm and 2x 360mm in my gaming PC, I swapped two of the 480mm for those 360mm so I could use the 480mm in my server rack (all servers quick disconnect to the two rads).

Anyone sleeping with their folding rig in the same room? Is that viable temperature and noise-wise? I have to make a decision of leaving it unatended/ remote in another town for 3 weeks or take it with me where it would have to be in the same room where I sleep.

2 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

COVID19@REDDIT could explode up to 3 or 4 real quick...

Not likely, once they hit ranks 200-100 its gonna get real slow for them to progress at 50-70M PPD. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Anyone sleeping with their folding rig in the same room? Is that viable temperature and noise-wise? I have to make a decision of leaving it unatended/ remote in another town for 3 weeks or take it with me where it would have to be in the same room where I sleep.

Not that it helps much but my PC is about 1.5m away from head in bed and I leave it on, but it is silent. Noise can be rather disruptive to good sleep.

For those having issues getting WU for their CPU, this worked for me: splitting the CPU into separate slots with each 4 cores (currently have 4 slots w/ each 4 cores on a Ryzen 3700x). Seems most WUs are optimised f4 core jobs.

image.thumb.png.72bdeb8349a8e43d7909a9252913078a.png

Just now, leadeater said:

Not that it helps much but my PC is about 1.5m away from head in bed and I leave it on, but it is silent. Noise can be rather disruptive to good sleep.

Yeah mine is reasonably quiet as well, most noise coming form the corsair AiO. I guess I could pay my parents the delta what it costs them in electricity. Hmm...

6 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Yeah mine is reasonably quiet as well, most noise coming form the corsair AiO. I guess I could pay my parents the delta what it costs them in electricity. Hmm...

I swapped the fans on my AiO, heaps difference

5 minutes ago, Hagnferd said:

I swapped the fans on my AiO, heaps difference

idk I paid so much for the Corsair h115i already partly because of those fancy RGB controllable fans it comes with. Could have happily stayed with my trusty Noctua NH D-14 which was quieter both in idle and under load but the looks of an RGB AiO... I fell for them. Sold my soul to the RGB cult, what have I done!

42 minutes ago, Daniel_SC said:

Huh... Time to dial down my OC I guess, thanks for the info! Wonder if I have lost any WU on that account...

You can check in your log if you lost any WUs, just tick the box that says Warning & Errors and scroll through it. If there are only upload/download/transfer errors or if it is empty, that means you didn't lose any WUs due to OC, however, Log only saves everything as long as F@H is running. When you restart computer. Log is cleared.

19 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Yeah, actually I do, my main rig is right beside my bed, and during folding month it is folding 24/7, only problem that I have is Coil Whine, which has been my biggest problem for last 2 years. Changed GPU and it still keeps whining, so I narrowed it down to PSU/Mobo. But at this point, I'll probably put it somewhere else as I already have a plan to build a new rig.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

12 minutes ago, Favebook said:

You can check in your log if you lost any WUs, just tick the box that says Warning & Errors and scroll through it. If there are only upload/download/transfer errors or if it is empty, that means you didn't lose any WUs due to OC, however, Log only saves everything as long as F@H is running. When you restart computer. Log is cleared.

Yeah, actually I do, my main rig is right beside my bed, and during folding month it is folding 24/7, only problem that I have is Coil Whine, which has been my biggest problem for last 2 years. Changed GPU and it still keeps whining, so I narrowed it down to PSU/Mobo. But at this point, I'll probably put it somewhere else as I already have a plan to build a new rig.

Great input! I was able to reduce GPU coil whine to almost zero by undoing any OC and leaving power target at 100 % on my 2080 MSI ventus. Coil whine is very present if I push it to 2000 Mhz. And I have to say a case swap to a noise-dampened case (Fractal Design Define R6) also helped reducing high-pitched noise noticably. Loudest thing is now the pump of the H115i Platinum RGB AiO which I have already set both pump and fans at quiet profile in the iCue software. Just goes to show how amazingly competitive big Noctua tower coolers are. The D-14 is much much older and is actually better cooling:noise wise unless I want to push CPU OC to the extreme.

So yeah... Noctua air cooler and an overkill quiet PSU + a dampened case definitely help with a super quiet system.

30 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Damn, I turned off my PC for the night, so lost my log... But I'll make note to check during the day.

On a similar note my homeserver has had a problem finishing a WU. It's just saying "Cleanup" under Status. In the log I find this error: "08:49:12:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to remove directory './work/00': boost::filesystem::remove: Directory not empty: "./work/00"". I think its having problems with deleting the data from finished WU, but nothing serious to worry about right?

1 minute ago, Daniel_SC said:

Damn, I turned off my PC for the night, so lost my log... But I'll make note to check during the day.

On a similar note my homeserver has had a problem finishing a WU. It's just saying "Cleanup" under Status. In the log I find this error: "08:49:12:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to remove directory './work/00': boost::filesystem::remove: Directory not empty: "./work/00"". I think its having problems with deleting the data from finished WU, but nothing serious to worry about right?

I have never seen that error in my life... But someone will probably help you here if they ever encountered it. 

On the other note, a simple google search of that error brings up a thread where someone fixed that by just rebooting their system.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz