LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

33 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Yo, @Ayren, you ignored my question :( 

in regards to images i dont have many.. theres not much to see and the only one i found just now is a rather shabby one (though i did replace the PSU with good a modular one

Spoiler

JPEG_20200127_234916.jpg

its in a 4U server case and has space for 8 but populated with 4 hdds in the front (4x 3TB in raid 5) which are controlled by an older 6gbs supermicro raid controller. GPU is a 1080 ti strix that i bios flashed from the normal TI Strix to the TI Strix OC for 30W more power. The CPU is a 3900X with 64gb of 3000Mhz ram cos i felt like it and tbh it does speed up game load times quite a bit once the pc is running for a while and youre loading the same levels (like in destiny 2 for instance) windows does do ram caching  after alll. in the front are 4 noctua 80mm and in the  back are an additional 2. I also managed to add a small Black magic PCIe capture card (not pictured cos old pic) in front  the CPU cooler (they have a really neat short one) which i also got 2nd hand. Motherboard is nothing to write home about. its that 160€ ASUS x570 one that is good enough but nothing special 

Has there been any response to WU's not being processed for points? Will they eventually hit or what's up with that. I ran all night and not a single point

6 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

Has there been any response to WU's not being processed for points? Will they eventually hit or what's up with that. I ran all night and not a single point

Mine have been hit and miss.  I get points for most but have a few that never posted. 

So, Last event goal was top 100, this time goal is top 10.
Lets see how thats goes, i urges you all to try to kick me out of the Top 10 :)

3 minutes ago, harls said:

Mine have been hit and miss.  I get points for most but have a few that never posted. 

None of mine have posted since last night. The ones I have been able to get are not showing.

Also in the rankings they are not moving either.

5 LinusTechTips_Team 132,530,101,548

So I started folding again today. Upgraded from an RX480 to a 2080Super since the last time I folded.

My PC did about the same amount of work in one day as it did in the three years before. 

Now thats an upgrade!

15 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

7 hours ago, BvH said:

There currently is a problem with a collection server, it is addressed in this topic: Folding @ home forum (Some WUs send without points)

User "jcoffland" explained it:

Direct link

Hope I'm not messing up the quoting stuff; am still new to the forum. But, then, as to some WUs not being credited; it's general lagginess, but also see what BvH linked to: there is/was an actual, specific issue as well.

17 minutes ago, enterprise-psi said:

spacer.png

6 Additional Tesla T4's are on their way ;)

Just now, Ayren said:

Isnt that way too low of a score tho? I guess it could also be underreporting

not any wu for it to work on. its idle at times

13 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

not any wu for it to work on. its idle at times

Ive done more than that by now with worse hardware.... either that or the PPD value is lying to me. My downtime aint that high and up and running at around 12-13m ppd since around 8 h ago

6 minutes ago, Ayren said:

Ive done more than that by now with worse hardware.... either that or the PPD value is lying to me. My downtime aint that high and up and running at around 12-13m ppd since around 8 h ago

you can see chart either it was offline or has been having issues getting wu.

if you wanted to be a cynic you would say linus just folded for a few days after the video (realized the electrical cost was very high) and stopped and/or significantly reduced the runtime.

you would have to ask him what happened :P otherwise it would be just guessing but we all could make up good stories

20 minutes ago, Ayren said:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5cc849c2ea7bdc0b7c145374e122a50a.png

And i aint even talking out of my A** for once XD
This is real neat. top 100 was my goal but this... this is beautiful :D

Edit: not that i am in the delusion that i can hold this for very long >.>;;

Random thing I noticed, but at face value it seemed like my experience with an RX480 8GB was that core clock seemed to matter quite a bit. Stock settings gave me a little over 400,000 PPD. But I've been doing -40% power limit and only lost about 15-20% of PPD, so that was cool. So about 365,000 average, but sometimes dipped as low as 350,000 PPD. 

But then I started messing with memory speed while maintaining the -40%. I went up to 1950 Mhz on memory, which automatically brought core clock down from about 1175 Mhz to about 1075-1100 Mhz. I suppose because the memory doesn't use much power overall compared to the core? 

But now my PPD is only just under stock settings. About 390,000 PPD average. So memory speed seems to matter quite a bit here, and you can REALLY dial down power limit and just keep memory really high from what I can tell for extreme power savings but only a small hit to performance.

Hope that helps someone who was leaving things relatively stock or maybe just undervolting with no change to power limit etc etc or playing with clock speeds on core vs memory. 

16 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

So memory speed seems to matter quite a bit here, and you can REALLY dial down power limit and just keep memory really high from what I can tell for extreme power savings but only a small hit to performance.

Spoiler

image.png.ac8ba7368031b76a198453af72610961.png

checks out with what ive been noticing in HWInfo (note memory controller load)

11 hours ago, TheAmazingDave said:

You guys and your fancy 💩... I'm working on a handle of Captain Morgan's... lol

Is that a 1 year old?

;)

11 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I was drinking Springbanks 18 year old single malt. 

Let me have a sip of Ballantines very old, 21 years old

Weird but most likely older than a few folders ;)

1 minute ago, REDYul said:

Let me have a sip of Ballantines very old, 21 years old

Weird but most likely older than a few folders ;)

Hah yeah younger than a good number I think!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Anybody else's GPU's not doing anything? I have 3 computers and it seems like the GPU's stopped sometime last night...

13 minutes ago, Ayren said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.ac8ba7368031b76a198453af72610961.png

checks out with what ive been noticing in HWInfo (note memory controller load)

I do wonder how the HBM cards fare here. I remember back in the mining days where you could chop off like 50% of power and lose only like 10% of already huge hashrate. At least for Ethereum as I recall. 

In fact, all this really does remind me of my mining days. :) 

2 minutes ago, SuperCooling87 said:

Anybody else's GPU's not doing anything? I have 3 computers and it seems like the GPU's stopped sometime last night...

Most of this morning my remote PC wasn't doing 💩 and my main PC got a couple small CPU jobs.  Got lucky 30-45 minutes ago and am 4/4 for the moment.

2 minutes ago, SuperCooling87 said:

In my case I have trouble getting CPU WUs. My GPUs are getting new ones before I even finish and I have set it to 96%

Desktop:RM650X, x570 Gaming Plus, Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler Master ML240L CPU cooler, Sapphire Pulse RX5700, 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws V, NvME Intel 660p 1TB and Seagate 2 TB 7200RPM, Cooler Master MB530P case, ASUS VG278 27'' 1080p Monitor 165Hz 

Folding Stats

50 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

and to install F@H on all their demo units...Joking on that last part...

Only because they don't have an internet connection to them.

Also, LTT is the #1 team in the 24hr average, with just over 2.25B points.

And I made a thing to celebrate:

Spoiler

Folderator.thumb.gif.1b14591a3570bf08db01b2e28064bd05.gif

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)