LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, DaoNayt said:

I did.

You doing CPU only or CPU and GPU?  CPU jobs are significantly more rare than GPU the last few days.

8 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I look at everything from a folding point of view, nothing offensive there to me... well other than you could get more folding power with 2060 cards for the same price but still...

True, BUT he can also break for a gaming session and get 4k high refresh gaming, the dream.  And he is one of very few!  

Jelly

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

3 minutes ago, Macaw2000 said:

Where's the best place to learn about how points are determined? Trying to figure out why one WU pays 123,000 and another pays 1962 on a cluster of equally configured machines.

Folding Bonus Points Calculator

In general the points assigned should be in direct relationship to the complexity and size of the Protein. The Quick Return Bonus (QRB) is added to reward the work being done faster.

In theory all WUs should be benchmarked on a standard computer before being released. The old standard was a core i5 5th gen or something like that.

These days with the need for WUs to get released quickly the bechmarking I suspect is being skipped and the project owners are basing the points on what they see being produced on their test machines and then adjusting if necessary based on feedback from Beta Testers.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

Just now, Zberg said:

True, BUT he can also break for a gaming session and get 4k high refresh gaming, the dream.  And he is one of very few!  

Jelly

I barely even game anymore, although I am wanting to get back into streaming soon as my mic stand arrives, my last got broke in the house move unfortunately. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Zberg said:

Jelly

...*runs to store to get another 2080ti*

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

1 minute ago, Zberg said:

...*runs to store to get another 2080ti*

As long as you do the noise while you do...

w00p w00p w00p w00p

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

Thanks, I'll try that. It doesnt help that my gpu is blasting hot air too...

Remove the side panel from your case. That's the sure test for a system that's air-flow challenged. Folding on the GPU and CPU is like running FurMark and Prime95 at the same time.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

2 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

Remove the side panel from your case. That's the sure test for a system that's air-flow challenged. Folding on the GPU and CPU is like running FurMark and Prime95 at the same time.

glances at HWinfo64 temps 

83 and 73 C/G

Yep!

2 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

glances at HWinfo64 temps 

83 and 73 C/G

Yep!

Im on 53/62... C/G

Not bad for a stock AMD cooler on a 1700! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Im on 53/62... C/G

Not bad for a stock AMD cooler on a 1700! 

I find the older chips run cooler ironically.  my 130W 4820K ran at I swear like 45-50c with the D-15, the 1700 ran like 10-15 hotter than that, same with the 3700x if I don't turn PBO off and clock and voltage check it under stress-test loads.  weird.

Just now, Inkertus said:

I find the older chips run cooler ironically.  my 130W 4820K ran at I swear like 45-50c with the D-15, the 1700 ran like 10-15 hotter than that, same with the 3700x if I don't turn PBO off and clock and voltage check it under stress-test loads.  weird.

Heat density?

more transistors in a smaller area... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Wow, just had a WU that took my 3950x 6 1/2 hours to complete with all cores at 4.0 GHZ. Had it at 4.2, but it got up past 90 degrees running that long when both GPUs folding too. Put it down at 4.0 and temps stay around 85. Can run a while at that rate. I noticed that the time FAH gives you before the "timeout" seems to differ based on the size of the WU. That one had 24 hours to complete, but I have had some that only have 2 hours to complete. Those were relatively small WUs though. It seems most WUs have 5 hours to complete before timeout. I think I like getting the large WUs because it makes sure my system stays utilized more.

BTW, does anybody know how they are tracking scores for the event? It's not like our points reset at midnight UTC. 

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Heat density?

more transistors in a smaller area... 

My thoughts exactly.  The first was 22nm, the second 14?  the third 7nm.  definitely much easier to heat up and faster.  harder to keep cool.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

If i learned anything from ST, it was there was always more to give!

11 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

And the story of the great chase has begun.. Let's she what we've got ladles and gentlespoons...

Fold on everything you've got!!!

Fine...I resurrected a dual Opteron 32 core server with two HD 6970's. Another ~60,000 PPD.

Really enjoying the WUs that I am getting and I hope everyone else is getting back to backs now!
Not really enjoying my cold feet when I chose to aio the cpu and leave the gpus to air cool instead of just looping them or the whole system.
Been having to keep the house chilly.
Not a big concern because unless I have a component failure #Can'tStopWon'tStop.

Best part of waking up, is Folding with your Comp.png

3 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

it definitely can test out your cooling strategy!

With just the 3950x on water and 2080ti on stock air, with both folding its no trouble keeping temps under 70 without cranking up the fans (near silent), but adding the x480 adds enough heat into the case that i have to turn fans up to a noticeable level to hold the same temps

the way ive got the AIO set up its pulling cold air and pushing the warm into the case, which isnt the greatest but id rather keep the cpu cool and have case temps rise a bit. fortunately the case has alot of side venting to dump the heat

1 minute ago, ZombieStew said:

Fine...I resurrected a dual Opteron 32 core server with two HD 6970's. Another ~60,000 PPD.

WOO!!!!!

Hope you have some kinda of fire extinguisher handy!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Hey LLT Folding team,

I heared a rumour that you need some server power (for hosting a WU server)?

Is this still the case?  I've got some spare compute power in the Cloud (AWs) and might be able to run a server for a stint.  What OS/Apps/Stats did you need?

*sad viola parrot noise*

no WUs after 40 attempts :(

and now we play the waiting game

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Just now, Covenant said:

Hey LLT Folding team,

I heared a rumour that you need some server power (for hosting a WU server)?

Is this still the case?  I've got some spare compute power in the Cloud (AWs) and might be able to run a server for a stint.  What OS/Apps/Stats did you need?

LTT have more than enough server power! But feel free to fun a F@H client!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Gegger said:

*sad viola parrot noise*

no WUs after 40 attempts :(

and now we play the waiting game

I'm still 7 for 7 right now...

If this goes anything like folding month our WU consumption is about to explode!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Yeah, I'm not in love with my temps either with a 212 and a 3600... Steady on at 71. Would like to be lower, especially with a 65w chip. No PBO.

My RX590 isn't helping though more than likely. Then again case temp is 37 so not too bad. Also my 185W 590 is cooler than my 65w cpu.

71/59 C/G....

Just now, sesim_nov said:

Yeah, I'm not in love with my temps either with a 212 and a 3600... Steady on at 70. Would like to be lower, especially with a 65w chip. No PBO.

My RX590 isn't helping though more than likely. Then again case temp is 37 so not too bad.

Just move to canada!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, DrButtlet said:

Really enjoying the WUs that I am getting and I hope everyone else is getting back to backs now!
Not really enjoying my cold feet when I chose to aio the cpu and leave the gpus to air cool instead of just looping them or the whole system.
Been having to keep the house chilly.
Not a big concern because unless I have a component failure #Can'tStopWon'tStop.

Best part of waking up, is Folding with your Comp.png

here's how mine is doing....... Maybe I should set up a CPU and a GPU loop instead of having them on 1 loop.

Capture.PNG

I have a trick for dealing with temps in FOLDATRON seeing as she runs 4 cards...

Spoiler

I just don't look

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240