How Future Proof Am I?

So the previously posted post got me curious.  How am I in the way of Future Proofing?

I realize my GPU isn't like really up to snuff, but if I went back to an RX580 8GB card?

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X 470 F
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 2666mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    EVGA Nividia 1060 Ti 3GB
  • Case
    Rosewill Cullinan V500
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqtech III
    6 Deep Cool ARGB 120MM Fans (3 On rad, 1 in the back, 2 on top.)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

There's no such thing as future proofing.

Your current PC should last you a good few years. If you don't have a spare 8gb RX 580 sitting about, I'd use the 1060 right up until the point where I hit games the 1060 can't handle. Then upgrade the GPU.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

There's no such thing as "future proofing". It doesn't exist. It's a contest with time that time always wins.

With that aside, what are your goals? For 1080p, yeah, with the 580 you'd have a fair few years left. For triple-monitor gaming, no.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 hour ago, IdlePX said:

If you don't have a spare 8gb RX 580 sitting about

oddly enough I do, but I think it is broken but someone in a previous post said it could work on the new motherboard I've got?

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

ith that aside, what are your goals? For 1080p,

I'm more or less just looking for 1080P, and I just use the 2 other monitors for like Discord and YouTube. 

Also I realize my monitor set-up is atrocious but it works for what I use the other 2 for lol

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

Future proofing does exist. It means how long will my parts be relevant. Yet it only works with certain items so don't expect a future proof CPU or GPU. 

If you buy a 4tb hdd which will die or get painfully slow in 2-3 years, or the price of ssd's will be so cheap that you'll wonder why do you even have such an artifact, you're not future proof.

If you buy a 1tb nvme with 3000mb/s read/write instead, you'll use it even after like 8 years. Now that is future proof.

If you buy a shitty case, you'll want to change it in few years because it'll just look awful.

If you buy a case with some classic design, maybe like nzxt s340 elite, it'll look great even after 10 years.

And so on.

40 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:
  • T-Force 16GB 2666mhz DDR4
  •  

No go

41 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:
  • EVGA Nividia 1060 Ti 3GB
  •  

No go

All the rest looks decent.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, Constantin said:
43 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:
  • EVGA Nividia 1060 Ti 3GB
  •  

No go

All the rest looks decent.

Think the 8GB card, if it works, would be good to go? And I'm thinking about getting some 3000mhz and going to 32GBs of ram.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

As usual it makes no sense replacing components now if it's only for "future-proofing" and you don't actually need them now.

If what you have will give you a year, do that year and upgrade afterwards. In one year you'll get better and cheaper stuff than now.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

44 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

And I'm thinking about getting some 3000mhz and going to 32GBs of ram.

If gaming is the main use of this computer 16Gb is all you need get 3000mhz cl16 or 3200mhz cl18.

either 580 or 1060 is just okay for now. Don't expect ultra quality 60hz with the new AAA games.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Think the 8GB card, if it works, would be good to go? And I'm thinking about getting some 3000mhz and going to 32GBs of ram.

Ignore that advice. You've already spent money on the 2666mhz. If you have the RX580, it's a touch better. There is no sense in re-purchasing things you already own at a very slight margin of improvement. 

If you have upgrade money, save it and keep saving. Once something like an RTX 2070 Super hits a great used price, snag one.

The question has no answer. The question is: Can your gear handle what you want it to? A year from now assume you go from high to medium settings, then medium to low. How much does that bother you?

We have a PC at home (for my kids to use) with 6 year old gear. I keep it on a 900p monitor and it keeps up nicely in modern games. The stuff can just be used and used and used. It's just a question of how far you are willing to dive from 1080p Ultra 60FPS, and of course what games you play now and plan to play in the future.

4 hours ago, lafrente said:

Future proofing does exist. It means how long will my parts be relevant. Yet it only works with certain items so don't expect a future proof CPU or GPU. 

If you buy a 4tb hdd which will die or get painfully slow in 2-3 years, or the price of ssd's will be so cheap that you'll wonder why do you even have such an artifact, you're not future proof.

If you buy a 1tb nvme with 3000mb/s read/write instead, you'll use it even after like 8 years. Now that is future proof.

If you buy a shitty case, you'll want to change it in few years because it'll just look awful.

If you buy a case with some classic design, maybe like nzxt s340 elite, it'll look great even after 10 years.

And so on.

Future proofing doesn't exist. Everything moves to fast. Within the year DDR5 will most likely appear. Then within another year we may have next gen Amd and Intels. Within three years we'll need new mobos, processors, ram and graphics cards will move up in leaps and bounds in that time.

As for your hard drive analogy, any SSD, NVMe or Sata will make a good boot disk with the support of a beefy standard hard drive. All hard drives last for years unless you get really unlucky, but that's an argument outside of future proofing.

About the only thing that's agreeable is a case. But new cases don't really outdate old cases... So.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

2 hours ago, IdlePX said:

Future proofing doesn't exist. Everything moves to fast. Within the year DDR5 will most likely appear. Then within another year we may have next gen Amd and Intels. Within three years we'll need new mobos, processors, ram and graphics cards will move up in leaps and bounds in that time.

As for your hard drive analogy, any SSD, NVMe or Sata will make a good boot disk with the support of a beefy standard hard drive. All hard drives last for years unless you get really unlucky, but that's an argument outside of future proofing.

About the only thing that's agreeable is a case. But new cases don't really outdate old cases... So.

You seem to have failed to understand when I said this: It means how long will my parts be relevant.

If you buy a low am4 cpu with a low end motherboard & later want to upgrade to a high end ryzen 4000 cpu, obviously your motherboard choice wasn't future proof. One could've spent more on a quality am4 mobo then upgrade to ryzen 4000. You can understand this, it doesn't mean "parts to use forever" I mean come on lol

"Everything moves too fast" DDR5 coming 7 years after DDR4. That's way too fast boy. Slow that thing down.

"Sata" is not a drive. Its a bus. "Sata" can't make a "good boot disk", and harddrives will never make a boot disk, unless you're an idiot. 

Since you only found case "agreeable" you seem to think PSU's get updated or something. 

8 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

You don't really need 32gb of RAM at the moment, but you need 3200Mhz or higher 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

We used to say that the world changed every 4 years, but things accelerate so much that now every two years everything is renewed and we make a leap to the previous generation, however, the high-end components are still high-end components, although they are from the previous generation. For example a GTX 1080 gives you excellent performance, in a couple of years the 2080 will be the previous generation, but for that reason it will not cease to be an excellent piece of equipment.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

10 hours ago, lafrente said:

You seem to have failed to understand when I said this: It means how long will my parts be relevant.

I understand. But parts are irrelevant within 2-3 years now.

As for the boot disk, I said "any SSD, NVMe or Sata will make a good boot disk." I'm not confusing what a Sata SSD is. Didn't Linus Tech Tips do a  video recently on the noticeable difference between an NVME, Sata SSD and old style drive? Didn't they all come across as similar in real world situations? A good NVMe or Sata SSD will not lose relevancy, but that's because they can't lose relevancy. They're not going to suddenly become incompatible with new hardware. 

The DDR5 argument... Eh, OK, you don't understand that argument either. RAM on it's own isn't an issue. Combined with everything else though, it's just another thing that goes out of date.

I've read there's a new Intel coming (LGA 1200 Comet Lake?) this year which will be sticking to DDR4. So if you want a new board and Comet Lake CPU, you're going to buy a board that'll have outdated ram within 2 years. Then there's AMD. AM4 has been out since, what, 2017? AM5 is set to debut late this year to early next year. So that's a 3-4 year lifecycle.

So, let's say you wait, You get an AM5 CPU, with a DDR5 compatible board later this year. You most likely have 3-4 years again before a new architecture comes out. So you wait 4 years to upgrade. If they stick with DDR5 memory, and bring out a new socket, then you may have a couple of years left before DDR6 hits the consumer market. 

Then of course your never going to align your upgrades perfectly. Sometimes a PC will go bang, or you'll find yourself flush with cash at a new job looking for a new PC. I don't know many people who have upgraded bang on a new architectures release. So if I build a PC today, it'll have to use DDR4 RAM and most likely a AM4 CPU. Which will both be irrelevant within a year as this time next year, we'll have DDR5 and AM5.

So, your ram, cpu and motherboard will be irrelevant within 3-4 years, best case scenario.  

You seem to be confusing relevancy with how long things last. Which is entirely different argument. 

So update, the 8GB card works for some reason.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower