Recommended Open Air Test Bench?

alenbasic

Looking to get myself a test bench. Are there any that are commonly recommended? In terms of cost I'd prefer to get one around $150USD but I might be willing to go for a higher cost one if it's really amazing.

4 minutes ago, alenbasic said:

Looking to get myself a test bench. Are there any that are commonly recommended? In terms of cost I'd prefer to get one around $150USD but I might be willing to go for a higher cost one if it's really amazing.

I built one out of wood, and honestly ,its fantastic! 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Cheap. Easy. Non-conductive. Totally customized. It’s fantastic. 

9795C92A-3F7E-49B1-969C-7A67ADC8AE75.jpeg

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I built one out of wood, and honestly ,its fantastic! 

Looks pretty cool, mate. Got some more pics of it from different angles?

One of the most common is the Praxis Wetbench. 

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=Praxis+Wetbench.&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

there is also the thermaltake core p series, which can be used in a testbench-like mode. here is for example a filled up core p5

Image result for thermaltake core p5

GN did a review here of the p3:

I know Lian Li has a couple ones as well, but i'm not sure about the quality of them

9 hours ago, alenbasic said:

Streacom BC1 is an absolute marvel of engineering in my opinion. Flat packs,and  beautiful when assembled.

I'm considering buying Lian Li PC-T60A - much easier to swap components and the system would be cooler than in almost any case....

I edit my posts more often than not

On 3/4/2020 at 10:31 PM, alenbasic said:

Looks pretty cool, mate. Got some more pics of it from different angles?

Its now just a test bench, sorta gave up on the "retro gaming PC" idea. I rebuilt that i7 920 system in the pix in my Antec P180 case from forever ago, and got an erra correct PSU and my original RAID 0 VelociRaptor drives for it as well. So, the pic I sent a few days ago is how I use that case now, super convenient little test bench setup.

Pic is a link to my Flickr, has a handful of pix on there.

Retro Gaming PC

On 3/7/2020 at 6:16 AM, LIGISTX said:

Its now just a test bench, sorta gave up on the "retro gaming PC" idea. I rebuilt that i7 920 system in the pix in my Antec P180 case from forever ago, and got an erra correct PSU and my original RAID 0 VelociRaptor drives for it as well. So, the pic I sent a few days ago is how I use that case now, super convenient little test bench setup.

You inspired me to give it a crack myself. Just need to get some motherboard mounting screws, and a couple of brackets to hold the PSU and stuff in and it'll basically be done. I'll also add a power switch to it to save me having to short the mobo on each time but overall pretty straight forward.

20200308_193513.jpg

9 hours ago, alenbasic said:

You inspired me to give it a crack myself. Just need to get some motherboard mounting screws, and a couple of brackets to hold the PSU and stuff in and it'll basically be done. I'll also add a power switch to it to save me having to short the mobo on each time but overall pretty straight forward.

20200308_193513.jpg

Love it! What I do for mobo shorting, its pretty ghetto but sorta "fits the theme", I just took an old broken PC power button, cut the actual button part off so your left with the mobo header and two exposed leads. I have full ATX mounting holes via T-nuts in the top piece where to mobo goes so I can use real brass standoffs that a normal case would use. I run one of the power leads into the T-nut threaded section, screw a standoff down onto it and then to turn the PC on I just take the other lead and touch it against that standoff. Simple and IMO elegant, at least its elegant as far as a wood PC goes. haha. You could even do something like tape the lead to one side of a hdd/ssd/cddrive and touch the other lead against that, just trying to close a circuit. Get creative with it! 

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/9/2020 at 4:57 AM, LIGISTX said:

Love it! What I do for mobo shorting, its pretty ghetto but sorta "fits the theme", I just took an old broken PC power button, cut the actual button part off so your left with the mobo header and two exposed leads. I have full ATX mounting holes via T-nuts in the top piece where to mobo goes so I can use real brass standoffs that a normal case would use. I run one of the power leads into the T-nut threaded section, screw a standoff down onto it and then to turn the PC on I just take the other lead and touch it against that standoff. Simple and IMO elegant, at least its elegant as far as a wood PC goes. haha. You could even do something like tape the lead to one side of a hdd/ssd/cddrive and touch the other lead against that, just trying to close a circuit. Get creative with it! 

Here's the somewhat finished testbench. I used a cherry mx switch connected to some breadboard jumper cables for the power button but you probably can't see it in this pic.

20200316_001508.jpg

1 hour ago, alenbasic said:

Here's the somewhat finished testbench. I used a cherry mx switch connected to some breadboard jumper cables for the power button but you probably can't see it in this pic.

20200316_001508.jpg

Love it! Love the cherry switch button, thats dope!

5 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Love it! Love the cherry switch button, thats dope!

Yeah, when I found out that keyboard switches are momentary like computer power buttons it just seemed like a great fit especially as I had a few of these laying around. Here's a better photo of the cherry switch + breadboard jumper cable combo (ignore the terrible soldering job).

spacer.png

11 hours ago, alenbasic said:

Yeah, when I found out that keyboard switches are momentary like computer power buttons it just seemed like a great fit especially as I had a few of these laying around. Here's a better photo of the cherry switch + breadboard jumper cable combo (ignore the terrible soldering job).

Spoiler

spacer.png

This is actually brilliant. WTF

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

This is actually brilliant. WTF

Thanks mate, appreciate it :)Credit goes to @LIGISTX though for inspiring me to give it a crack.

EDIT: In case you're wondering (since it's probably hard to see the real color) that's a blue switch too :P