i7-8700K Hitting 100 Degrees Gaming

Dylan98

Currently having issues dealing with my i7-8700K hitting 100 degrees while gaming, i went out and bought a new cooler cause my old AIO was older but im seeing the same temps. Im using the Corsair H60 AIO with a push/pull set up. My mobo is a Z370-H Gaming With no overclocking! Im seeing 35 Degrees Celsius idle/Using chrome and 95-100 Degrees C while gaming. i just rebuilt my pc today also and i have done so 3 times in the last few months. Lastly i had an Overclock on my CPU for a while and i would sometimes leave my pc on overnight with the OC and sometimes days in a row along with streaming here and there. Did i damage my cpu overtime? or should i invest in a better cooler for my cpu?

H60 is too small for that  CPU, try to use at least a 240mm radiator.

2 minutes ago, Dylan98 said:

i had an Overclock on my CPU for a while

what voltage and what clock speed?

3 minutes ago, Dylan98 said:

i would sometimes leave my pc on overnight with the OC and sometimes days in a row

your PC has to sleep too bro

1 minute ago, Danioki said:

an H60 is fine if he's not pushing it to the max

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

your PC has to sleep too bro

lol no

Sounds like a bad mount.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

lol no

letting programs and processes run can cause all kinds of errors, plus your fans and drives will last longer if they're not on 24/7. Sleep mode is pretty useful, for more than just reducing power consumption.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

an H60 is fine if he's not pushing it to the max

H60 is recomended with TDPs up to 70w, his CPU is 95w, so yes it's a little small, more if he was doing OC.

2 minutes ago, Danioki said:

H60 is recomended with TDPs up to 70w, his CPU is 95w, so yes it's a little small, more if he was doing OC.

TDP ratings mean basically nothing. The Ryzen 5 2600X is a 95 watt part but it is totally fine under the H60

Primary PC:

14 minutes ago, Danioki said:

Any recommendations for 240mm rads?

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

TDP ratings mean basically nothing. The Ryzen 5 2600X is a 95 watt part but it is totally fine under the H60

i have an Ryzen 5 2600 with a 280mm AIO (be quiet silent loop), and under Oc and stress is still toasty.

and we don't know the ambient temperatures from where he is, that is important too, in my case they are up to 35°C.

and the Oc overnight is fine, i have used many systems with OC leaving them working for months.

but something to consider are the voltages you used in the Oc, an the ambient temperatures.

consider also posting a photo of your build.

:)

Just now, Danioki said:

i have an Ryzen 5 2600 with a 280mm AIO (be quiet silent loop), and under Oc and stress is still toasty.

and we don't know the ambient temperatures from where he is, that is important too, in my case they are up to 35°C.

and the Oc overnight if fine, i have used many systems with OC leaving them working for months.

but something to consider are the voltages you used in the Oc, an the ambient temperatures.

consider also posting a photo of your build.

:)

i let the mobo do an ez tune on the overclock not exactly sure what it set the voltages it had set

Just now, Dylan98 said:

i let the mobo do an ez tune on the overclock not exactly sure what it set the voltages it had set

auto overclocking tools will always go overkill with voltages. It's best to set the voltages manually to avoid any problems. You should disable the EZ tune because it doesn't take cooling into account.

Primary PC:

Just now, Dylan98 said:

uff, the auto OC of some motherboards can be very aggressive on the Voltages, maybe that leave some damage behind.

Just now, Danioki said:

uff, the auto OC of some motherboards can be very aggressive on the Voltages, maybe that leave some damage behind.

well so far im not having any issues, and hoping it isnt damaged but like i said im seeing  the same temps as i had with my older cooler so maybe i just need a better AIO!

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

auto overclocking tools will always go overkill with voltages. It's best to set the voltages manually to avoid any problems. You should disable the EZ tune because it doesn't take cooling into account.

i didnt know what i was getting in to so i thought that was smart but thank yal lfor your responses!

Just now, Dylan98 said:

well so far im not having any issues, and hoping it isnt damaged but like i said im seeing  the same temps as i had with my older cooler so maybe i just need a better AIO!

first try an reseat you cpu block, also change the thermal compound.

but those 120mm AIO hava a very low point of saturation so in a couple of minutes you can have very high temps.

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

letting programs and processes run can cause all kinds of errors, plus your fans and drives will last longer if they're not on 24/7. Sleep mode is pretty useful, for more than just reducing power consumption.

I've got 15 year old drives and 10 year old fans still running. There's computers older than I am that still work.

You don't need to turn off a computer to 'save' the hardware.

3 minutes ago, Danioki said:

first try an reseat you cpu block, also change the thermal compound.

but those 120mm AIO hava a very low point of saturation so in a couple of minutes you can have very high temps.

I just reapplied the thermal compound not even a few hours ago and would air cooling be a bad option?

6 minutes ago, Dylan98 said:

I just reapplied the thermal compound not even a few hours ago and would air cooling be a bad option?

nop, a good aircooler is as good as any AIO

47 minutes ago, Dylan98 said:

Im using the Corsair H60 AIO

All the single fan 120mm AIO are garbage, you are way better with a decent air cooler

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

All the single fan 120mm AIO are garbage, you are way better with a decent air cooler

This is why I don’t get the “Xc hybrid” line of EVGA GPUs, they cost more and offer no real cooling benefits, the only use case I could see for this is in a case where the gpu is choked.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Even thought a 120aionsucks, it shouldn't be throttling at stock.

I'm with nick on this one. It's not installed correctly.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I mentioned this earlier, but I don't know that you saw it.

Sounds like a bad mount.  Have you tried increasing the mounting pressure of the cooler?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 minutes ago, Constantin said:

My h60 did a fine job cooling my 88w tdp 4790k at stock speeds for years, even during long gaming sessions. I had a case with really good airflow though. 

Yeah id go with a 240mm for an 8700k, but the h60 is far from garbage. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB