i7-8700K Hitting 100 Degrees Gaming

Dylan98
4 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

My h60 did a fine job cooling my 88w tdp 4790k at stock speeds for years, even during long gaming sessions. I had a case with really good airflow though. 

Yeah id go with a 240mm for an 8700k, but the h60 is far from garbage. 

Well, it's garbage.... at least for a transistor packed 8700K. It probably can't even handle 1.1v at 4ghz dude.....

29 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well, it's garbage.... at least for a transistor packed 8700K. It probably can't even handle 1.1v at 4ghz dude.....

I've never actually tried using one. But in comparison, my wife has a dirt cheap Arctic Freezer 33 and her 8700 is basically at 4.3ghz all day long.... And it barely even breaks 70c on back to back cinebench r20 runs.....

I find it hard to believe these 120mm aios can't even compete with a $20 air cooler.

It's gotta be installed wrong....... Right?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

36 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I agree the 8700k is probably a bridge too far for an h60. I also agree its probably not good for any sort of OCing. However I cant believe you'd see 100c. I doubt an 8700k is THAT much harder to cool than a 4790k. My temps never got above 72C when gaming for long sessions in battlefield 1, and were usually in the high 60s. Id expect for an 8700k youd add maybe 10-15C at stock. 

Again, maybe his case has horrible airflow combined with maybe less than optimal thermal paste job or mounting.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

7 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I've never actually tried using one. But in comparison, my wife has a dirt cheap Arctic Freezer 33 and her 8700 is basically at 4.3ghz all day long.... And it barely even breaks 70c on back to back cinebench r20 runs.....

I find it hard to believe these 120mm aios can't even compete with a $20 air cooler.

No, how do you mess up installing one of those...... NVM I just asked that.... But it's really a simple process. The OP gentleman seems like he's capable of mounting a cooler.

However, looking at the design of the H60, the cold plate is a joke, the pump is crap, the rad is too small with few passes and we don't know his ambient and case flow/temps.

Now about that money where the mouth is, looking for better than Cinebench runs though.

Gimmie OCCT with AVX2 instruction set screen shot on that 20$ air cooler. Let me know exactly when it's done being heat soaked.

(just kidding, but cinebench is not a tell all stress and stability test. Don't lean on it for that purpose.)

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No, how do you mess up installing one of those...... NVM I just asked that.... But it's really a simple process. The OP gentleman seems like he's capable of mounting a cooler.

However, looking at the design of the H60, the cold plate is a joke, the pump is crap, the rad is too small with few passes and we don't know his ambient and case flow/temps.

Now about that money where the mouth is, looking for better than Cinebench runs though.

Gimmie OCCT with AVX2 instruction set screen shot on that 20$ air cooler. Let me know exactly when it's done being heat soaked.

(just kidding, but cinebench is not a tell all stress and stability test. Don't lean on it for that purpose.)

I mean, obviously not, but it's a locked chip. No reason to put it through a full gamut of testing and I'm not gonna do it just to prove a point I wasn't even trying to make, lol.

OP is getting 100c in gaming, which is way less demanding than cinebench, and not even close to any of that stress testing. And it can't even manage that. 

That was the comparison I was making.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I mean, obviously not, but it's a locked chip. No reason to put it through a full gamut of testing. 

That said, op is getting 100c in gaming, which is way less demanding than cinebench. And it can't even manage that.

Bro, the radiator is Aluminum. It has a copper cold plate. What's the number one thing in water cooling? Don't mix metals.

So this is how the cooler works.

The cold plate is copper and dissipates heat to the liquid almost twice as fast as the radiator can absorb and dissipate the same BTU.

I'd think a NH-D15 would be a good cooler for air. 

Lastly, H60 is so socket 775 days. 

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Bro, the radiator is Aluminum. It has a copper cold plate. What's the number one thing in water cooling? Don't mix metals.

So this is how the cooler works.

The cold plate is copper and dissipates heat to the liquid almost twice as fast as the radiator can absorb and dissipate the same BTU.

I'd think a NH-D15 would be a good cooler for air. 

Lastly, H60 is so socket 775 days. 

Don't have to be hostile. I was just commenting that the $20 cooler works great on a stock 8700/k application.

But then that would mean that it's inferior to a $20 cooler, because it hits 100c in gaming when the $20 cooler can handle way more.

Which was my point.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Don't have to be hostile.

But then that would mean that it's inferior to a $20 cooler, because it hits 100c in gaming when the $20 cooler can handle way more.

Which was my point.

OK, here's my gues, and I'll try without hostility.

Old pump failed. Bought new H60 and New pump DOA. Or the power source he's using is the same and isn't supplying enough power to turn the pump fast enough or it's not turning at all.

better?

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OK, here's my gues, and I'll try without hostility.

Old pump failed. Bought new H60 and New pump DOA. Or the power source he's using is the same and isn't supplying enough power to turn the pump fast enough or it's not turning at all.

better?

Nah, it's just shit.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Nah, it's just shit.

That was my first thought. 

2 hours ago, Danioki said:

H60 is too small for that  CPU, try to use at least a 240mm radiator.

Best answer on the first post to the thread.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Best answer on the first post to the thread.

Seems so silly though to even bother with a 240 rad if no plans to overclock.

Just gaming? No overclock? $20-50 air tower cooler makes a lot of sense vs a 240.

7 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Seems so silly though to even bother with a 240 rad if no plans to overclock.

Just gaming? No overclock? $20-50 air tower cooler makes a lot of sense vs a 240.

but he was overclocking, so it's future proof if he then decides to OC again

6 minutes ago, Danioki said:

but he was overclocking, so it's future proof if he then decides to OC again

would rather d15 as previously suggested

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

would rather d15 as previously suggested

any option is good, if it means changing the H60

2 hours ago, Danioki said:

H60 is recomended with TDPs up to 70w

Where'd you read that?

2 hours ago, Dylan98 said:

i let the mobo do an ez tune on the overclock not exactly sure what it set the voltages it had set

Don't use EZ Tune. It's most likely the cause of your high temps. If you want to oc, do it manually. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Don't use EZ Tune. It's most likely the cause of your high temps. If you want to oc, do it manually. 

Interesting comment. 

Its partially the cause. Strictly because over clocking even without increase in v-core can raise a cpu temp.

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

over clocking even without increase in v-core can raise a cpu temp.

Barely. Power limit and vcore make a much bigger difference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Interesting comment. 

Its partially the cause. Strictly because over clocking even without increase in v-core can raise a cpu temp.

With every Intel CPU after Devils Canyon, the chipset is mainly to be blamed. The automatic voltage settings raise voltages way too high for normal stock clocks, even with turbo. Using auto-OC feature is even worse. 90% of temps issues I've seen with the Intel CPUs have been solved by disabling auto-OC features and/or setting up adaptive/offset voltages. The 10% are just unlucky people or those who use old stock coolers.

H60 is not perfect, but is about as good as cheap 120mm cooler. So if its mounted and working, it will handle the CPU after auto-OC is turned off. And if they want temps even lower, then setup adaptive/offset voltages.

Another thing, not every 120mm AIO is crap. H80i was really good 120mm AIO. So they are still viable in some use cases, mainly when cooler height can cause issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

With every Intel CPU after Devils Canyon, the chipset is mainly to be blamed. The automatic voltage settings raise voltages way too high for normal stock clocks, even with turbo. Using auto-OC feature is even worse. 90% of temps issues I've seen with the Intel CPUs have been solved by disabling auto-OC features and/or setting up adaptive/offset voltages. The 10% are just unlucky people or those who use old stock coolers.

H60 is not perfect, but is about as good as cheap 120mm cooler. So if its mounted and working, it will handle the CPU after auto-OC is turned off. And if they want temps even lower, then setup adaptive/offset voltages.

Another thing, not every 120mm AIO is crap. H80i was really good 120mm AIO. So they are still viable in some use cases, mainly when cooler height can cause issues.

Oh indeed to the H80i and H60. For cpu that would be 65w for certain and actually be able to have overclocking head room if that where to be the end goal.

However, these are sub par for anyone using the term "liquid cooling" on a list of different fronts and then combine this term with overclocking within the same sentence is not profound in any meaningful way. You know it, OC'ers konw it, people that don't.... need to know it. 

I covered the possible issue..... I'll quote it.

Yea, 8700K with the stock coolers, where the stock cpu throttled, with stock paste under the lid lol..... And thus why most "liquid cooling" knowledgeable people would recommend 240mm **first reply to the thread**  (120.2 from the way I learnt specs) OR MORE to cool an overclocked 8700K and that's without mention of using stock paste under the IHS plate with an easy drop of 15c using Liquid Metal based thermal interface materials.  

But I digress. I'm not saying one cannot run an H60, but you should expect that small of a water loop to heat soak and probably quickly and super especially if the pump isn't turning or turning slowly...... which in the end wouldn't matter as the rad doesn't have the surface area to dissipate X amount of BTU.

Throwing numbers at it, 

(this is a low figure overclocking 8700K) 125w is 426.5 BTU an hour. I suspect single 120 rad, aluminum with poor surface area... even 2 fans couldn't save it. 

How are you running it? Is the cpu cooler placed on the only exhaust fan slot with a +200W gpu dumping heat into the case?

On 3/5/2020 at 5:46 AM, nick name said:

I mentioned this earlier, but I don't know that you saw it.

Sounds like a bad mount.  Have you tried increasing the mounting pressure of the cooler?

yes i did and turned out it was a combo of kind of all of the above, i remounted the aio ad it dropped a few degrees but still i was seeing low 90 temps. Turned out my mount wasnt applying the correct pressure, i also went out and bought a 240mm rad on amazon and using the extra 2 fans i got with my NZXT H510 case i created a push/pull set up again on the 240rad resultin in 26 degree idle temps out the gate and im going to stress test it here in a minute thank you for your observation i did consider it just forgot to reply!

On 3/6/2020 at 1:50 AM, Jeppes said:

How are you running it? Is the cpu cooler placed on the only exhaust fan slot with a +200W gpu dumping heat into the case?

no it was like others said, it was a bad mount and only a 120 rad so i bought a new one with a frsh mount and boom problem solved!

On 3/5/2020 at 6:26 AM, Mister Woof said:

woof you were correct, even though  the h60 is a fairly good cooler with a bad mount and a 8700k on a oc auto tune it wasnt enough. but i bought a new cooler and mount and the problem was solved!

On 3/5/2020 at 6:35 AM, maizenblue said:

I agree the 8700k is probably a bridge too far for an h60. I also agree its probably not good for any sort of OCing. However I cant believe you'd see 100c. I doubt an 8700k is THAT much harder to cool than a 4790k. My temps never got above 72C when gaming for long sessions in battlefield 1, and were usually in the high 60s. Id expect for an 8700k youd add maybe 10-15C at stock. 

Again, maybe his case has horrible airflow combined with maybe less than optimal thermal paste job or mounting.

i had just rebuilt it into a NZXT H510 and tried fixing the mount but once again was seeing relatively high 80C to low 90C, the answer was a bad mount and very little was it just the cooler sucking. Solved it by buying a new 240rad and mount seeing 26C idle and low 60C gaming

1 hour ago, Dylan98 said:

i had just rebuilt it into a NZXT H510 and tried fixing the mount but once again was seeing relatively high 80C to low 90C, the answer was a bad mount and very little was it just the cooler sucking. Solved it by buying a new 240rad and mount seeing 26C idle and low 60C gaming

Ayyyyy.  Well done.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 hours ago, nick name said:

Ayyyyy.  Well done.  

another update im seeing actual temps of 48C and 52 at max while gaming! lol major upgrade 

3 hours ago, Dylan98 said:

another update im seeing actual temps of 48C and 52 at max while gaming! lol major upgrade 

Nice. What AIO did you end up getting?