CPU running very hot...what should I do?

Joshua Mitchell

While playing one of my all time favourite games, Rocket League, (which is apparently not very CPU intensive) I realised my CPU was running at 100% utilization constantly. I also realised when stress testing the CPU that it was get up to temperatures of 90+ degrees celcius.

Specs of system (minus SSD and HDD) are

i5-6500 @3.2GHz (with intel stock cooling fan)

16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2133MHz 

ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL 03G

Thermaltake 450W Litepower PSU

Rotanium TG103 with 4x case fans (pretty sure it doesn't have the best airflow)

Now, my question is....should I:
a) Get a new CPU?
b) Get a new case?

or c) Upgrade my CPU cooling to an AIO or air cooler?

I don't have a massive budget so if the best option is to upgrade my CPU, which would be the best upgrade but still within my budget? (Maybe AMD?)

Of course it's hot if you're using the crap stock cooler.

Buy a good air cooler for like $30-50 and it will be much cooler and quieter.

You do not need to replace the CPU or buy an AIO.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Awesome! Thank you :)
Should I consider upgrading my case or/and CPU in the future however?

a) Not unless you find its not enough for you these days.

b) No unless it wont fit the new heat sink you want to get.

c) Get an air cooler, as big as you can fit. (maybe get some new fans)

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, ObsidianAura said:

a) Not unless you find its not enough for you these days.

b) No unless it wont fit the new heat sink you want to get.

c) Get an air cooler, as big as you can fit. (maybe get some new fans)

Thank you! :)

Unless it's throttling and that's limiting your performance or fan noise is annoying you there's nothing wrong with running at up to 100°C.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Joshua Mitchell said:

Awesome! Thank you :)
Should I consider upgrading my case or/and CPU in the future however?

Eventually yeah but not when you have a small budget.

Save up for a big upgrade.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There you go. Thanks for your help mate :)

Great idea thanks heaps :D

18 minutes ago, Joshua Mitchell said:

While playing one of my all time favourite games, Rocket League, (which is apparently not very CPU intensive) I realised my CPU was running at 100% utilization constantly. I also realised when stress testing the CPU that it was get up to temperatures of 90+ degrees celcius.

16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2133MHz 

ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL 03G

Thermaltake 450W Litepower PSU

Rotanium TG103 with 4x case fans (pretty sure it doesn't have the best airflow)

Now, my question is....should I:
a) Get a new CPU?
b) Get a new case?

or c) Upgrade my CPU cooling to an AIO or air cooler?

I don't have a massive budget so if the best option is to upgrade my CPU, which would be the best upgrade but still within my budget? (Maybe AMD?)

The stock Intel coolers are not great, however it shouldn't be causing the processor to heat upto 90+ degree celcius. Try replacing the thermal compound between the processor and the cooler as after a few years, it starts to dry up causing bad thermal conductivity, causing your CPU to overheat. Also I do not think an upgrade would be necessary if all you are doing is playing less games like Rocket League.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Just now, Joshua Mitchell said:

i think its probably not rlated to the cpu(your rocket league 100 cpu usage if this is a new problem ) if its new you probaly have a virus and a upgrade wont fix anything

Same for me. Rocket League should not bring you CPU to 100%. I think that's the main problem. Did you check what process actually uses the CPU ?

15 hours ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

The stock Intel coolers are not great, however it shouldn't be causing the processor to heat upto 90+ degree celcius. Try replacing the thermal compound between the processor and the cooler as after a few years, it starts to dry up causing bad thermal conductivity, causing your CPU to overheat. Also I do not think an upgrade would be necessary if all you are doing is playing less games like Rocket League.

Awesome! thank you for your help :)

14 hours ago, maxdei said:

i think its probably not rlated to the cpu(your rocket league 100 cpu usage if this is a new problem ) if its new you probaly have a virus and a upgrade wont fix anything

14 hours ago, Niklos said:

Same for me. Rocket League should not bring you CPU to 100%. I think that's the main problem. Did you check what process actually uses the CPU ?

Right...so turns out I was using an indicator built into the xbox home when I press the middle button on my xbox controller which I didn't think may be off. And so upon re-testing with task manager and hwmonitor open I found out Rocket League is using about 65%-70% of the CPU and sitting at around 70-80 degrees celcius. 
This isn't too bad but I'm pretty sure it spikes occaisionally causing my crappy intel stock fan to ramp up and get super load momentarily. So should I still invest in a new cooler?

On 3/4/2020 at 11:34 AM, Enderman said:

Thats 4.5 year old CPU at this point. If it has been built around that time, using stock paste and then only done minor cleaning, buying new cooler is already overkill. Probably just needs good cleaning and new paste.

21 hours ago, Joshua Mitchell said:

This isn't too bad but I'm pretty sure it spikes occaisionally causing my crappy intel stock fan to ramp up and get super load momentarily. So should I still invest in a new cooler?

Don't do anything radical. I mean, if you have had it for 3-4 years built and not done anything to CPU or cooler during that time, this is about normal. Take the cooler off, clean it with paper towels, air etc., buy tube of new thermal paste and remount the cooler. You will see some drops in temps, probably to that 75C point which is Intels target.

I wouldn't go fancy just yet. You have locked CPU after all. If you go for upgrade, you can get better cooler them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv