Ethernet cables - 5, 5e, 6, 6a, 7, 8....

PyroTheWise

So I have been out of the networking game for a while.   I have a basic internet that I will be upgrading to fiber (can get up to 1 gb) and a few hard line runs for my work equipment.

I was researching new ethernet cables to buy (runs all 50 feet or shorter).  So what does all the versions really mean and what is best to look for in running cables in a ceiling?   I will be running 2 cables to the same location so there might be some concern about interference from the cables.

Please help me to understand all the new variants of Ethernet cables.   I want to make sure I buy the right cables for running in a ceiling and to provide the best speed for the upgraded internet.

Thanks for your help

4 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

So I have been out of the networking game for a while.   I have a basic internet that I will be upgrading to fiber (can get up to 1 gb) and a few hard line runs for my work equipment.

I was researching new ethernet cables to buy (runs all 50 feet or shorter).  So what does all the versions really mean and what is best to look for in running cables in a ceiling?   I will be running 2 cables to the same location so there might be some concern about interference from the cables.

Please help me to understand all the new variants of Ethernet cables.   I want to make sure I buy the right cables for running in a ceiling and to provide the best speed for the upgraded internet.

Thanks for your help

Generally:

Cat5 = 100Mbit

Cat5e & Cat6 = 1000Mbit (1 Gbit)

Cat6A+ = 10Gbit

But that is official certifications. At smaller lengths, decent cables and when not having your cable next to other 'electrical cables' you can get 1Gbit over Cat5e too for example.

Cat6 is the right choice for most people, unless you're laying cable in the ground, Cat6A or Cat7 might be the better choice to be prepared for the future.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5e supports Gigabit

6 supports 10 Gigabit at 55 meters, Gigabit beyond 55 meters

6a supports 10 Gigabit 

Those are the ones I would recommend. 5 is somewhat too slow for your distance and speed requirement. 7 and 8 are too expensive for residential use. If you worry about interference, a lot of 6a cables are shielded better than 6 and 5e. I recommend 5e or 6, as 6a is a bit overkill.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

@GodSeph

its a little out of data, Cat5E can do 2.5GB

Cat 6 can do ether 2.5 or 5gb.

I'll note for 50m runs cat 6 can do 10gb.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Generally:

Cat5e = 100Mbit

False, Cat5e is rated for a gigabit, Cat5 is rated for 100 megabits.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

Just now, callmejaccob said:

False, Cat5e is rated for a gigabit, Cat5 is rated for 100 megabits.

Yea I added my post a second after posting, because I forgot about Cat5.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

cat5e can do 1gbps or 2.5 gbps

cat6 can do 1gbps , 2.5 gbps, 5 gbps up to 100 meters, 10 gbps up to around 55 meters with some restrictions about how many cables in a bundle (basically, guaranteed 55m only in a small bundle of something like a 10 cables in parallel)

cat6a can do 10g up to 100 meters ... in theory only guaranteed with proper cat6a connectors but in practice the cables and connectors are good enough to not have issues.

For very short lengths and with factory made cables (patch cords) you can get high speeds without transmission errors. For example, you may be able to get 10gbps just fine with no errors using a 1 meter cat5e patch cord. Not recommended though.

tldr: buy cat6 or cat6a factory made cables (patch cords) ... don't overpay for "cat 7" or some silly names... they won't bring you extra performance.

11 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

@GodSeph

its a little out of data, Cat5E can do 2.5GB

Cat 6 can do ether 2.5 or 5gb.

I'll note for 50m runs cat 6 can do 10gb.

out of data? you mean out of date? The information is generalized as there are numerous ways to increase or decrease the speed including length of the cables and how strong the signal is etc.... its more a general information as I doubt everyone is trying to push 2.5 through a cat5e instead of changing the cables to something more robust.....

according to cisco there are 5e that can handle 5G...https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/catalyst-multigigabit-switching/nb-06-mgig-faq-cte-en.pdf

image.png.58429465c1ab879b10d1fe78ac771dfc.png

That is crazy I couldnt imagine someone still using 5e if they are pumping that sort of data....

Just now, GodSeph said:

.... its more a general information as I doubt everyone is trying to push 2.5 through a cat5e instead of changing the cables to something more robust.....

It's more about something like this...

You go with your laptop that has an integrated 2.5 gbps ethernet card into an office building and use a 3m cat6a patch cord from the desk to a wall socket .... but you have cat5e cable through the walls all the way to the server room.

The office / building managers may not want to upgrade and pull all the cat5e cable to install cat6 or cat6a ... so you're stuck with cat5e which is still decent enough for 2.5 gbps.

If the office needs bandwidth, upgrading the switch in the server room to one that "speakes" 2.5/5/10gbps could be a good temporary solution.

For the two runs in the ceiling if you're particularly concerned about interference and want some future-proofing look into STP Cat6a. This will require though that both ends of the cable are terminated to devices that are properly grounded though. This will enable the future expansion up to 10Gbit and prevent interference from any electrical wiring in the ceiling.

Edit:

You will also need to be wary of weather it's jacketed using Riser or Plenum sheathing as state and county laws can very when it comes to what is/isn't allows for fire safety code.

Also weather you'll need solid or stranded core. Generally solid-core is ran inside walls.

9 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

out of data? you mean out of date?

That is crazy I couldnt imagine someone still using 5e if they are pumping that sort of data....

yep typo I didn't get.

well that is why 2.5 and 5gb were created.

to allow older buildings with cat 5E to run faster.

any new install should get cat 6 or cat 6A but for old ones getting the justification to rewire, deploy new gear is hard.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Wow, that was a lot to read.  Sorry was working and didn't notice all the responses.

Okay, so I get the designations and my instance I will need Cat 6 or Cat 6a.   The internet switch is my slowest device so running 7 or higher really doesn't matter.

Now for the big question - how do I know a cable is a good one to buy.  So many off branded cables.  Any advice?

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's more about something like this...

You go with your laptop that has an integrated 2.5 gbps ethernet card into an office building and use a 3m cat6a patch cord from the desk to a wall socket .... but you have cat5e cable through the walls all the way to the server room.

The office / building managers may not want to upgrade and pull all the cat5e cable to install cat6 or cat6a ... so you're stuck with cat5e which is still decent enough for 2.5 gbps.

If the office needs bandwidth, upgrading the switch in the server room to one that "speakes" 2.5/5/10gbps could be a good temporary solution.

answering his question he is installing new not the situation of what other companies have installed currently. 

"Please help me to understand all the new variants of Ethernet cables.   I want to make sure I buy the right cables for running in a ceiling and to provide the best speed for the upgraded internet."

Would be better to do cat6 but if he can push 5G through cat5e why not use that. that is more the situation the op is looking at. The information linked was from Cisco both times and both are still relative to what OP was looking for. Generally if your installing all new stuff and he knows what load he will be putting out he can make a better prediction using medium information not cat5 can push 100MB/s. As I said there are alot of parts to make it whole and just saying cat5e will push out 2.5-5GB is usually not the best answer but I could be wrong...

2 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

answering his question he is installing new not the situation of what other companies have installed currently. 

"Please help me to understand all the new variants of Ethernet cables.   I want to make sure I buy the right cables for running in a ceiling and to provide the best speed for the upgraded internet."

Would be better to do cat6 but if he can push 5G through cat5e why not use that. that is more the situation the op is looking at. The information linked was from Cisco both times and both are still relative to what OP was looking for. Generally if your installing all new stuff and he knows what load he will be putting out he can make a better prediction using medium information not cat5 can push 100MB/s. As I said there are alot of parts to make it whole and just saying cat5e will push out 2.5-5GB is usually not the best answer but I could be wrong...

Yes, 2 new runs.  Cat 6 seems to be the best option.

Are there specific terms/manufacturers/etc... I should look for.    There are quite a few different manufacturers for the CAT6 cables.

4 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Yes, 2 new runs.  Cat 6 seems to be the best option.

Are there specific terms/manufacturers/etc... I should look for.    There are quite a few different manufacturers for the CAT6 cables.

Avoid anything that says CCA or Aluminum in the description unless it's saying pure copper. There are several manufacturers that try to pass off CCA stuff (copper clad aluminum) as cable when it fails to meet any spec. It's very brittle and crap to deal with in general.

Also, just an FYI, Cat7 is not officially recognized by TIA/EIA as an electrical standard only ISO so it doesn't have strict electrical requirements to adhere to. The next step after 6a is actually Cat8 which is for 40Gbps applications and is stupid expensive.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, PyroTheWise said:

So I am looking for something like the following:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9789

It says pure copper wire...

Yah, you'll probably want STP wire if you go near electrical lines and there are codes you might need to consider for buildings but that's generally the type of wire you want :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

My home, no electrical wires to worry about.   Okay, thanks for all the help, now to find a brand on Amazon that gets decent reviews....

Just now, PyroTheWise said:

My home, no electrical wires to worry about.   Okay, thanks for all the help, now to find a brand on Amazon that gets decent reviews....

Cable Matters has always been my go-to brand on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NPL4YE/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

In US, you also have stores like Digikey or Mouser or Newark/Farnell that sell electronic components, including pre-made network cables.

Here's all Cat6 or better cables on Digikey, about 1500+ of them (various lengths and ratings) : https://www.digikey.com/short/z87791

You can further filter by type (utp,ftp,stp etc) and by insulation type, length, color of insulation etc etc

It's a bit more expensive, but they're all solid brands.

Newark has about 300 cables pre-made: https://www.newark.com/w/c/cable-wire-cable-assemblies/cable-assemblies/network-cables/prl/results?connector-to-connector=rj45-plug-to-rj45-plug&range=inc-in-stock&sort=P_PRICE

It has less filters, but you can pick one and open datasheet and it will say cat rating and all that.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In US, you also have stores like Digikey or Mouser or Newark/Farnell that sell electronic components, including pre-made network cables.

Here's all Cat6 or better cables on Digikey, about 1500+ of them (various lengths and ratings) : https://www.digikey.com/short/z87791

You can further filter by type (utp,ftp,stp etc) and by insulation type, length, color of insulation etc etc

It's a bit more expensive, but they're all solid brands.

Newark has about 300 cables pre-made: https://www.newark.com/w/c/cable-wire-cable-assemblies/cable-assemblies/network-cables/prl/results?connector-to-connector=rj45-plug-to-rj45-plug&range=inc-in-stock&sort=P_PRICE

It has less filters, but you can pick one and open datasheet and it will say cat rating and all that.

Options overload.....  Thanks though for the information