interesting traffic meaning

johnyb98

Hi everybody.

Please, I would like your help in order to understand meaning of "interesting traffic" in networking.

Not specifically in NAT, VPN, etc. I cannot understand what it is in Ethernet IT.

Can you explain it?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, johnyb98 said:

Please, I would like your help in order to understand meaning of "interesting traffic" in networking.

Not specifically in NAT, VPN, etc. I cannot understand what it is in Ethernet IT.

Can you explain it?

Your question doesn't make much sense. What one finds interesting or not interesting depends on the situation, the environment and the person looking at it. There is no universal definition for what is or isn't interesting.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Yeah, your question is kind of confusing but basically "interesting traffic" would be any traffic that shouldn't or normally wouldn't be there like broadcast storms, a rouge DHCP server, excessive DNS requests or requests to a server that shouldn't be there, etc.

8 hours ago, johnyb98 said:

Not specifically in NAT, VPN, etc

That's usually the context though.  Most VPN ACLs (access lists) that match 'the traffic you want' become 'interesting' when it matches the access list to be encapsulated within the tunnel.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Thank you for your answers. I am sorry for confusion I caused. But I thought that "interesting traffic" was a universal definition of networking. In ACLs or NAT or VPN. For now, in my study, I am in NAT field. I tried to understand seeing it in 27:15 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5wuJFoeVDQ&t=513s