IBM announces that it has achieved a new technological advancement that will increase Internet speeds to 200 - 400 Gigabits per second

geforceftw

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-scientists-big.html 

This would be really cool except for the fact people still dont have fiber. And with all of the evil ISPs.

What are your thoughts about this "200 = 400 gigabit speed?

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Meanwhile Comcast sits on its huge pile of cash laughing at everyone living across United States. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Cool, but then I have 50 down 50 up and see no reason to upgrade so...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Aaaaaand this will never come to consumers because of all the ISP monopolies.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I hope you realise this technology is not meant for the consumer, rather for data centres, large Tier 1 providers etc? No of course not, no one reads the article. I feel this forum feeds on the headlines and nothing else.

You do realise this is a networking chip for large datacentres, right?

As @Darren said. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

200-400? awesome but I bet those greedy isp will charge gold.

for us 

3mbps (7b daily limit) = 29.05

5mbps (10gb daily limit) = 35.76

my plan is a little bit higher with no limit since I do need those but if they were to change the minimum or max to these 200-400 speed @ a very affordable price then it's golden.

Live your life like a dream.

well downloading 4k movies and 8k in the futurem, this has potential.

Anyways, more is better right?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I could see this working is a small amount of places, just that most routers that I see around wouldn't be capable with this kind of speed, And in the certain places that this would be used how well effectively would it be used? To me it seems like current speeds are good enough... Except for stupid Australian speeds

I could see this working is a small amount of places, just that most routers that I see around wouldn't be capable with this kind of speed, And in the certain places that this would be used how well effectively would it be used? To me it seems like current speeds are good enough... Except for stupid Australian speeds

Current speeds aren't good enough, especially when the ISPs charge a lot of money for low data caps. Everything is being downloaded now, not on CDs or DVDs. (Games for PCs and consoles, movies, etc.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

ISPs need to stop being evil so we can start using this awesome technology.

COMIC SANS

I just want 1mbps. I don't even have that.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Many people see this as an unnecessary solution.

But there are many doors, high speed Internet can open, any type of service could be easily a cloud service now, media consumption can change totally the way we now know it.

Sharing files, games, and media could be much improved.

There is a lot of possibilities when we talk about gigabit and higher speeds, but there is still no market or use for it. When the infrastructure is built, they will come.

Many people see this as an unnecessary solution.

But there are many doors, high speed Internet can open, any type of service could be easily a cloud service now, media consumption can change totally the way we now know it.

Sharing files, games, and media could be much improved.

There is a lot of possibilities when we talk about gigabit and higher speeds, but there is still no market or use for it. When the infrastructure is built, they will come.

Of course faster speed opens up more possibility. But the problem is the ISP. They dont want spend extra penny for consumers. Why would they when they monopolize and knowing that they have no competition? Hell

well downloading 4k movies and 8k in the futurem, this has potential.

Anyways, more is better right?

@That speed 32K will even stream :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

This could probably mean faster consumer grade speeds?

No faster private corparate speeds :) maybe in about 50 years to consumer :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

@That speed 32K will even stream :)

exactly! room for the future.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Of course faster speed opens up more possibility. But the problem is the ISP. They dont want spend extra penny for consumers. Why would they when they monopolize and knowing that they have no competition? Hell

The only solution to this is going out with our pitchfork and torches (bigger speech) and demand for a better service that we know it's available and we know what's gonna cost. But again, there is many topics where people from every neighborhood should stand up to their government and big companies.

For streaming, this is a must. 4K+ streaming!

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Cool, but then I have 50 down 50 up and see no reason to upgrade so...

More power is more better.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Good news for the rest of the world, bad news for USA who insists on letting private interests dictate their telecom policies and intentionally be left behind in infrastructure.

-------

Current Rig

-------